I have a day off work, so. - Page 3 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > VZI REGIONS, HOLIDAYS, TRIPS, NIGHTS OUT > North West

North West Campsites, Holidays, Days or Nights Out in the North West

Advertise on Volkszone.com

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 15-07-2014, 10:07 PM   #21
Sol Ford
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (5)

Last edited by Sol Ford; 01-07-2017 at 07:11 AM..
Sol Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 10:49 PM   #22
TDI90
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Do you ever go in the dark? I mean lake swimming (or whatever its called) is scary enough but in the dark ahhhh
TDI90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 12:50 AM   #23
erditurdi
Chat Slapper

Not to rub it in too much, but I took the family up to the Gt Barrier Reef last week, stayed in Port Douglas and went out to the outer reef. I was told the water temp was about 24, like a bath it was. We all snorkelled, kids were super excited to see Nemo, not that impressesd with the big gropers that hang around there though.
erditurdi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #24
Sol Ford

VZi Member Sponsor

Last edited by Sol Ford; 01-07-2017 at 07:12 AM..
Old 16-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #25
Curly J
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Ford View Post
Two of us went, we're both experienced swimmers and took enough precautions as we felt were required, even to the point of getting the temperature of the water before entering.*

*Remember kids, swimming in reservoirs is big and clever, but you may end up dead and put other peoples lives at risk who come to help, so stay safe.

When we arrived there was a solitary bloke sat on the rocks, 'Hiya, are you going in or just finished?' we asked.

'I've been in, but I'm going to have another dip, then call it a day.'

'Are you wearing a wetsuit?'

'No, I don't bother with anything like that?' then he promptly stripped off, bollock naked and in he went. *Kackers, let me know when your hot flush has cooled.

We chose shorts.

It was a shock when you first got in, but after thirty seconds or so it was fine. We followed the dam edge around three sides, then with local knowledge, you swim directly back across the middle of the reservoir, with little more than two metres of water under you. The feeling as you swim across middle with nothing near you is exhilarating. We did a couple of laps, probably no more than 1800 metres and called it a day. It was too cloudy and windy to sunbathe or sit about.

We will be going back with a few more of our swim buddies.

Virgil, Gaddings Dam and the water was 19*c, another couple of weeks and it'll hit 22-23*c mark and swimming is positively encouraged. Let me know if want to go and I'll pass on the turning markers.

On the way down we met a couple of triathletes who were on there way up for a session.
That's at the back of our house! Apparently the bollock naked bloke is there a fair bit, frightened our niece and her boyfriend when they last met him.
It gets a bit too busy up the weekends and bank hols as a rule but its a great spot.
Old 16-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #26
Sol Ford

VZi Member Sponsor

Old 29-07-2014, 01:02 AM   #27
scoob77
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (1)

...came across this the other day and it reminded me of this thread - if you dont 'do' Elbow, turn the volume down, the vid is cool in itself...

http://youtu.be/ZAQeq0XIu6g

Last edited by scoob77; 29-07-2014 at 01:03 AM.. Reason: cant remember how to embed
scoob77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #28
Buggy/Passat
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (1)

Is it an operational reservoir? Please be careful, if they're abstracting water the intakes may only be a few feet below the surface and not necessarily visible. The intake pipes could come out the dam at varying depths to allow for the drop in water level or temperature or algae blooms at different depths.
You don't want to get stuck in an intake.
If there is a tower in the middle that probably Has the intakes on it so don't swim around it.
Be safe.
Buggy/Passat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:11 AM   #29
Curly J
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Ford View Post
I pointed out your camper as we went past.
Scared now!
Old 01-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #30
Sol Ford

VZi Member Sponsor

Reply Post New Thread