Rotten UK 65 Bug! Restoration noob in at the deep end! - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 19-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #1
OGLEACH79
Chat Virgin

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Rotten UK 65 Bug! Restoration noob in at the deep end!

HELLOOOOOO!!

Last year I got hold of a 65 bug off fleebay! I did the right thing and DIDNT view it first!! But was desperate for my first project! (I SHOULD OF VIEWED IT FIRST!) probably with some one who has a bit of experience when it comes to choosing your first project!
I'm over a year and a half into it. I've had limited time but gotten pretty far. the chassis is almost complete and I'm on to body work now! and theres shit loads! Im using full replacement panels, not just a bit cut off, THE LOT! so I guess I'm getting my moneys worth

Any way Im new to this thread malarky so i'll try and get some pictures up so you can check out the situation.
I'm basically looking for some Dub friends to come drink my beer and help out with advice etc, and take the piss
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0850.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	108049  

Last edited by OGLEACH79; 30-07-2014 at 08:23 PM..
OGLEACH79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
OGLEACH79
Chat Virgin

The image above are how it came. after peeling back smelly old carpet etc, it revealed that this is probably the most patched up bug ever! Oh and not to mention the almost inch thick layers of filler that I've discovered! i would have been better off getting a replacement shell, but being a sucker for a challenge i though "no! I can do this!' dick head! Im certainly learning a lot and upped my restoration research 10 fold! i'll get some build pics up of the process to date.

Last edited by OGLEACH79; 30-07-2014 at 08:22 PM..
Old 25-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
BargainHunter
Seasoned Chat Slut

I took a punt on mine, seemed out for a year, until I decided to fix it - bodge central! Ended up sending mine to some nice lads who're knee deep in it!

What are your plans? Original resto? Custom?

J

Looking for secure storage around the West Midland area - can you help?
BargainHunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25-07-2014, 05:08 PM   #4
BrownBUG
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (3)

Post images using Photobucket IMG codes or you'll run out of digits attaching them like you have done. Upload to teh web site and copy the IMG code link, paste that into your post text and the image will magically appear...like err.. magic!!

http://s77.photobucket.com/

Good project, getting stuck in is what we all like to see....hope you have the energy, commitment, money and time to see it through....so many fall by the wayside.

Good luck

http://www.royalcountyautosupply.co.uk

TWON's fund raising for Brad's - https://www.justgiving.com/MrVZi-2013

Royal County Auto Supply promise to donate at least £2 (or 5% of any profit) for every purchase during 2016 from VZi members.
BrownBUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
lotus67
Account suspended

Trading feedback: (1)

Looks a good starting point, good luck.
lotus67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
OGLEACH79
Chat Virgin

Hey Chaps

Thanks for the photo bucket tip! its all set up and have all my images on there but can't get the links to work? recommends I put the HTML link in but says invalid file? I'll work it out

Im going Resto Cal, keep it original looking but drop it on the floor!
been toying with the idea of air ride but will get it all up and running for now! for wheels ---- Sprint Stars or BRMs

Has anyone got a set of torsion leaves and track rods for a shortened 4" beam or original length?

OH! and side plates for 1965 swing axle Gearbox?

cheers guys! I WILL GET PICS UP SOON! lol
Old 30-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #7
OGLEACH79
Chat Virgin

BargainHunter….Just checked your build out! there's some serious work gone into that one!! looking mint!!
Old 30-07-2014, 10:15 PM   #8
andycoco

Trading feedback: (9)

Look forward to more pics,good luck with project fella and welcome to vzi !!

http://vwcoco.webs.com/-Check my website out and join up with plenty of bugs 4sale:D
Mrs set up facebook page -ANDREW COLE
andycoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #9
BrownBUG

Trading feedback: (3)

I've got a complete gearbox with side plates included £50, I can get it to Bicester for collection if you want?

PM me if you're interested. Cheers Colin

PS Photobucket - copy/paste the IMG code, not the HTML.

http://www.royalcountyautosupply.co.uk

TWON's fund raising for Brad's - https://www.justgiving.com/MrVZi-2013

Royal County Auto Supply promise to donate at least £2 (or 5% of any profit) for every purchase during 2016 from VZi members.
BrownBUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #10
OGLEACH79
Chat Virgin

Reply Post New Thread