My '59 Beetle Xmas pressie! - Page 54 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 16-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #531
psimitar
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (0)

Cheers J

I like tidy wiring esp as part of me job I come across switchboards wired by an ameba and thats being rude to ameba's.

So doing lots of little jobs all week and nothing really noticeable but finally got the washer bottle frame made and welded in

Just need the pipe to the washer jet and done, as parts place were out of it.

Brakes have gone thro half litre pumped out and not up the top yet but some resistance at the bottom so hopefully getting there.

Door aperture will be jacked wider at the top this week and engine bearings are on there way

Um, what else. Oh yea the driver window was very hard to wind up so took apart and the slide and window holder are rusty as all hell so fitted a little roller bearing roller and will make up a new window holder and slide as the roller is 5mm bigger.

Also, shall make new steel part of the orig door switches and what else, oh sterring column fitted up and ind switch done just steer wheel to rub down epoxy putty and spray. Book engineer this week and maybe sandblast the front wheels

6 weeks to get it MOT'd. Oh yes I'm not joking so I'll be fecking knackered by then. Plus I've found a cheap EJ22 engine I'll buy before we head to europe in march

My '59 Beetle Resto Part I

My '59 Beetle Resto Part II

56 Oval Resto
psimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #532
psimitar

Default door gap enlarging

So here's one way to enlarge a door aperture that has shrunk due to a hanging door or whatever made it 5mm too small

left it like that for a day to help the metal get a new memory and shall see what happens tonite

After consultation on tech forum I shall give the brake bleeding one more go before buying a vacuum bleeder and pray that it works

Slow going cos of late nights at work and with cold now so not a great start to the new year after a virus for the first week of it

56 Oval Resto
Old 19-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #533
TwoToneAlex

Trading feedback: (11)

Good work
I can't wait to see this finished!

I know what you mean about cold nights, i've been working in the garage in the evenings until late, I'm end up shaking so much from the cold I can't hold a spanner

Old 19-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #534
iain ambrose
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (2)

When I did my last project the door aperture was also wrong.
The most important thing is that the width at the bottom is correct.
On mine I had to correct the heater channels position to get the right width.
When I then hug the door it was completely out of shape.
I did something similar except I used the brace from the bottom left corner diagonally to the middle of the windscreen piller. This restored the shape to the aperture and then door subsequently fitted perfectly.
I would double check the gap at the bottom and if it's incorrect you will need to rectify it to get the doors right.
The correct gap is 950mm - 951mm.
Best of luck.
Old 20-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #535
psimitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain ambrose View Post
When I did my last project the door aperture was also wrong.
The most important thing is that the width at the bottom is correct.
On mine I had to correct the heater channels position to get the right width.
When I then hug the door it was completely out of shape.
I did something similar except I used the brace from the bottom left corner diagonally to the middle of the windscreen piller. This restored the shape to the aperture and then door subsequently fitted perfectly.
I would double check the gap at the bottom and if it's incorrect you will need to rectify it to get the doors right.
The correct gap is 950mm - 951mm.
Best of luck.
Cheers Iain I know the bottom is about 5mm out due to me cloating the impact driver so hard so shall see about that. I've tried the door and it fits lovely around the top and the swage lines up. Just the bottom the either cut and weld or see if a slide hammer will pull it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToneAlex View Post
Good work
I can't wait to see this finished!

I know what you mean about cold nights, i've been working in the garage in the evenings until late, I'm end up shaking so much from the cold I can't hold a spanner
Ah, not cold nights here but I have a cold. It's so muggy here at the mo that we sleep above the sheets until about 3am when the temp finally drops enough for the sheet. Takes ages to fall asleep too.

Buying the EJ22 motor this weekend too plus some more parts tomoro

56 Oval Resto
Old 20-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #536
TwoToneAlex

Trading feedback: (11)

I was going to say... it'z Oz
Old 21-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #537
psimitar

I hate being unwell. Viral thing for 1st week of new year and then wife turned that into a coldy type thing that I caught back. Oh well, if brain can handle it I'll order me vac bleeder tonite.

56 Oval Resto
Old 08-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #538
psimitar

Hello everyone.

Sorry for lack of updates. I've been flat out trying to get her ready for MOT and what with work and marital issues I'm just plain knackered!!!!

Anyhow, here she is escaping the garage for the first time in 2 years and for the first time in waaaaayyyyyyy longer than that on 4 wheels.

Bottom drivers hinge area has been ripped open to remove snapped off door bolts so that to de-rust and clean up, then MC rear circuit was knackered on new MC so another ordered plus gotta source a Volvo 240 res to go with it. Both R33 seats are finally bolted in and I just remembered I've not photo'd the engineers plate I got on Friday to say my mods pass the test. Gotta fab a rear seat support but he knows I'll do that.

Engine case will be together once I know how to stop the oil pick up moving and cylinder heads are being reconned as we speak.

Getting so close I can smell the sulphur

56 Oval Resto
Old 12-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #539
roebucksplit
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

good work well done
roebucksplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #540
psimitar

So apologies for lack of updates. I've been flat out with work, the Beetle and marital issues.

Anyhow, here's some pics to show what I've been up to.

Engine going together

Nice reconned heads with new guides and valves

Seats are now bolted in

Rear seat rail supports to pass ADR regs

Volvo 240 res on new MC that finally bled

Hookeys door repair panel and hole in door post

and an cheap EJ22 to throw in the back when I return from my travels

So I should have the door post welded in my end of week along with the engine ready to install and hopefully start

56 Oval Resto
Reply Post New Thread