My '59 Beetle Xmas pressie! - Page 6 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 19-04-2009, 01:47 AM   #51
TwoToneAlex
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (11)

I have been watching your thread like a hawk
Your panel fabrication is genius, you have done some seriously good work.
I like your little removal of original metal policy
Can't wait till you start welding all this in, going to be an amazing finished product.
Keep it up!
Alex
Old 19-04-2009, 03:41 AM   #52
psimitar

Trading feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToneAlex View Post
I have been watching your thread like a hawk
Your panel fabrication is genius, you have done some seriously good work.
I like your little removal of original metal policy
Can't wait till you start welding all this in, going to be an amazing finished product.
Keep it up!
Alex
YAY!!! Thanks dude. As Gaza said during his bay resto, if it hadn't been for peoples support thro the forum then he may well have given up. Renews ones enthusiasm in that which we love.

Glad you like the panels. Good thing I was able to make em before my job was terminated. I no longer have access to the bending press
Two reasons for only removing what was necessary. 1, why stick a whole new panel in when only part of it is rusty and 2, my finances are tight and I couldn't justify the expense but mainly I didn't see the need.
Right, now where's that darned gas bottle??

My '59 Beetle Resto Part I

My '59 Beetle Resto Part II

56 Oval Resto
psimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #53
TwoToneAlex

Trading feedback: (11)

I know exactly what you mean!
Alot of the time I can never be bothered to go and do it until someone keeps nagging me
Ah hope you find a new job soon
Good thinking Batman

Old 24-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #54
misterecks
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psimitar View Post
YAY!!! Thanks dude. As Gaza said during his bay resto, if it hadn't been for peoples support thro the forum then he may well have given up. Renews ones enthusiasm in that which we love.
I doubt I would have kept going through some of the really hard parts of my bug if it wasn't for the support from people on here, it really helps... lots

It does sometimes feel as if you are talking to yourself when you do these threads but there are plenty of people watching, I've had a fair few of late who say stuff like "been watching this from the start" etc.

Got the gas bottle yet??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My 69 bug resto thread
Part I
Part II
Part III
misterecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #55
psimitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToneAlex View Post
I know exactly what you mean!
Alot of the time I can never be bothered to go and do it until someone keeps nagging me
Ah hope you find a new job soon
Good thinking Batman
Well here's a quick nag for you, nag nag nag nag nag nag nag, now go fix your VW
Few interviews on tuesday so fingers crossed.
and gas should be along soonish, i hope, now where are those baked beans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterecks View Post
I doubt I would have kept going through some of the really hard parts of my bug if it wasn't for the support from people on here, it really helps... lots

It does sometimes feel as if you are talking to yourself when you do these threads but there are plenty of people watching, I've had a fair few of late who say stuff like "been watching this from the start" etc.

Got the gas bottle yet??
Dude and you repaired sooooooo much of your bug compared with mine. It is nice knowing that people are taking an interest in what you are doing

as for the gas, well a mate from old job has a bottle I can use but just trying to find out if it's pure argon or argon/CO2 mix. Don't think I can use the pure argon as thats meant for stainless. If not I may just rent one for the weekend. You can't get an owned bottle filled over here due to all the legal crap yet I doubt the companies that rent the bottles check them as often as they should. Anyhow, I'm just trimming the large plate for the passengers and then need to practice welding, without the gas will be ok for practice, so in a few weeks I should have them in

56 Oval Resto
Old 25-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #56
superbeetle91

nice project dude, is that all that is like rotted? that's unfair! u cut more metal out than i had in my car to start with!!!!
happy dubbin
superbeetle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #57
psimitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbeetle91 View Post
nice project dude, is that all that is like rotted? that's unfair! u cut more metal out than i had in my car to start with!!!!
happy dubbin
Thanks matey!! there's a bit of rust where the heater pipes enter the channels and maybe a bit up front in the end of the channels and kick panels but otherwise I'm afraid not. The joys of Australia I'm sorry to say

56 Oval Resto
Old 25-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #58
benjyhas

Nice car, dude. Lucky to find a nice early RHD in such decent original shape
benjyhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 02:09 AM   #59
psimitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjyhas View Post
Nice car, dude. Lucky to find a nice early RHD in such decent original shape
Thanks matey it depends where the bug has spent most its life over here. They never rust quite as bad as the UK but some places are better than others. Northern Victoria and South Australia are good places to find em.
mine appears to have a 67 pan but with link pin front. The body is all 59 but with later lights added for being road legal. Just goota figure a way to get the semaphores to work with normal indicators.

56 Oval Resto
Old 29-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #60
Cleverchap
Seasoned Chat Slut

Nice resto dude. Will look sweet once its roling. I'm just across the ditch and will keep an eye on this thread to make sure you're not slacking. Just looking for a resto project for myself but there few and far between here. Most have been shipped overseas already

If you need semaphores to work with stock indicators talk to vwjim on the ssvc forum. Heres a limk to how he did it to his bus and I think he sells the control unit.

lo\*/ol
Cleverchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread