New Predator Beach Buggy Build - Page 2 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 12:14 AM   #11
LUDICRUZ
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (1)

It was time to tackle the chassis first. I went to a local metal merchant and bought a couple of lengths of 25mm x 50mm mild steel box section.

Rather than having an angled joint i wanted to curve the outer box section to match the contour of the tub. So i replicated the shape of the tub and drew it onto the table, with a grinder i cut a small rectangular shape out and curved the section....

This was then held up against the chassis to check for allignment...

I had the tub suspended off the garage ceiling using ratchet straps, this allowed me to lower and raise the tub as and when i needed to...

Tub lowered to check for allignment....

The curves match up well....

Hmmm not bad at all....

Once i was happy, the section was welded togather and the welds smoothed down, i then used the first length to make a copy of the other side.

Both outer sections were the married upto the chassis and welded to the framehead.

At the rear, new sections were welded into place and all welds smoothed down...

Last edited by LUDICRUZ; 14-08-2017 at 10:45 PM..
LUDICRUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
LUDICRUZ
Chat Slapper

Two more pieces added in to support seat runners.....

The same repeated on the other side..

With the main outer framework nearly completed, it was time to work out how to fill the sections in between.

I didn't want to use a single thin sheet of steel to cover the floor, making the chassis strong and sturdy was more important even if it meant adding more weight.

So i purchased a few lengths of 1" L shaped steel angles, cut and shaped them to fit into each section like a frame and welded them in.

One side done. At the rear of the tunnel a triangular piece welded in using 5mm steel.

Last edited by LUDICRUZ; 15-08-2017 at 10:41 PM..
Old 03-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #13
redhouse53
I really must get out more

VZi Member Sponsor

Good work, I'll be keeping an eye on this as I've got it all to come with mine

redhouse53 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #14
kustomkriss
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (2)

good build loadsa buggys gettin built at the moment

keep goin youll get there in the end
have thought of any type of wheels yet

i'm quite lucky mines lwb

https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthr...ight=ldv+buggy
kustomkriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #15
roebucksplit
Wannabe Chat Slut

keep the pics coming lovin this build well done ludicruz
Old 03-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #16
LUDICRUZ
Chat Slapper

Wheels....yes....i regularly check Ebay to see if there are any interesting buggy's and buggy parts forsale, and i came across an
orange sidewinder buggy on auction. I instantly recognised it as it belonged to Gordon Higgins and was featured in the October 2006 Volksworld issue.

One of the images featured amongst the collection of pictures Gordon had posted on Ebay was this one, an early version of the buggy. The alloys looked great so i dropped Gordon an email asking about them.

After exchanging a couple of emails and negotiating a price i was the proud owner of these Porsche pattern Azev A alloys.

Fronts are 8J X 17 wrapped in Pirelli P7000 215/40/17
Rears are 10J X 18 wrapped in Michellin MXX3 285/35/18

All four wheels and tyres are in mint condition, Thanks Gordon...

Last edited by LUDICRUZ; 14-08-2017 at 10:55 PM..
Old 04-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #17
roebucksplit
Wannabe Chat Slut

one cool looking buggy
Old 11-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #18
LUDICRUZ
Chat Slapper

Once all the framework had been set in, i turned the chassis over to tack weld it from the under side.

I then used cardboard to create templates for the floor, these were transferred on to 5mm steel sheet and finally cut and sat into position.

Last edited by LUDICRUZ; 15-08-2017 at 10:46 PM..
Old 17-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #19
LUDICRUZ
Chat Slapper

Next to tackle are the rear corners, these need to be rounded off to match with the shape of the tub.

Once one side was completed, this was repeated on the other side and welds smoothed down.

I picked up a set of hydraulic pedals from one of the shows and these were grafted in, however i am trying to work out a way to hide the brake pipes.

Last edited by LUDICRUZ; 15-08-2017 at 12:03 AM..
Old 17-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #20
Mo
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

That's a cracking build there. Coming along nicely and nice to see the care and precision taken. Will b keeping an eye on this one. Loving the orange shell and rims.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread