Volkszone Forum banner

R7/R9 - Fuel Hose - IMPORTANT PLEASE L@@K!

164K views 113 replies 45 participants last post by  HairyYeti 
#1 ·
Anyone know anything about saej30r7 r9 fuel hose ? I bought some june last year thinking its the best stuff on the market but ive just found out ive lost a tank of fuel as the poxy stuff is perished and cracked !!. Ive contacted the supplier asking if hes had any problems/ bad batch and hes replied it down to the amount of ethanol the fuel companies sticking in the fuel !!:mad:

#90 ·
I used that on a couple older vehicles, it failed rather rapidly to the point fuel was pouring out in the engine bays. I'd shop around and buy good branded hose that states it is biofuel safe. It's a bit more expensive but you won't need to change it on a annual/monthly basis. I'll never understand why retailers sell products like fuel hose with a cursory 'check it regularly...', why should we have to if you sell us the right product, when did you last check the fuel hose on a modern vehicle?

#97 ·
Forget R9, just fit Bio Fuel hose.

https://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/55mm-id-732-100-bio-fuel-hose-diesel--petrol-2015-p.asp

I fitted this 4 years ago. Still perfect. It will withstand ethanol up to 100%.

My understanding is the problem with fuel lines, particularly for cars that are only used infrequently is the % of ethanol in the fuel rises when the vehicle is parked up for a while due to the natural evaporation of the petroleum in the fuel, leaving just the ethanol, so the concentration rises to above that which the fuel hose can handle. Therefore degrading the hose.

#101 ·
That is what I use now. I didn't get it from there, I got it from our local rolling road place. I have now replaced every component in the fuel system apart from the tank, for a modern ethanol safe version. I got hacked off with fuel hose lasting 12 months at best. On my Beetle I got through two fuel pumps in as many weeks.

#98 ·
#102 ·
After today my advise is take your stock style fuel pump and bin it. I have recently got a 1.9 T25, it runs essentially the same pump as a Type 1 engine. The engine had a new pump, made by Topran of Germany, it has done less than 5,000 miles.I have upgraded the carb to a Weber progressive and I exclusively run it on Super to avoid ethanol. I generally buy Super from Sainsburys. Two weeks ago they announced that all of their fuel is now E5. On Tuesday I was out in the Van and it randomly stalled, but immediately restarted. I thought nothing of it. I went to where my workshop is and parked the van. It wouldn't restart. So I checked the obvious. I was getting no fuel from the pump. I was intending to replace the fuel pump for an electric at some point. Today I removed the old pump and the pedestal was full of fuel. Luckily it didn't make it into the crankcase, but I changed the oil anyway.

Don't trust stock style pumps, even genuine VW ones. They are not suitable for ethanol fuels and could potentially kill your engine if they fail. This is the third fuel pump I have had do this.

#104 ·
The diaphragms seem to be suffering. My chainsaw just packed up as the accel pump diaphragm had turned brittle and split due to the ethanol in the petrol mix.

I'm looking up Viton diaphragm materials to see if we can make kits to upgrade stock pumps and carbs to a fully Ethanol tolerant spec.

We (volksbolts) already carry Viton O rings for Solex and Dellorto Carbs. We've had some PTFE banjo washers pressed out too for the DRLA.

#113 ·
Sorry to say this but the "R7" R9 etc spec has absolutely nothing to do with ethanol proofing! The R designation is simply an indication of the pressure rating of the hose.

AFAIK there is no standard spec for ethanol-proof hose. I always use Gates Barricade hose as this specifically designed for high ethanol fuels. Some, but not all, Codan hoses are also designed for ethanol fuels. These hoses have a viton liner. Pretty well all hoses will crack on the outside rubber layer if they are bent in a tight curve and are subject to heat. The rubber 'dries' and cracks but the inner liner may be OK if it is viton based.

Do not use unbranded cheap hoses - not only will they crack right through within a year, but before that happens they will begin to shed small bits from the inner surface, blocking your idle jets etc.

#114 ·
The "R" in SAE J30 just stands for a version number or revision - there is a natural progression as specifications evolve but they do diverge into differing applications so you cant just take the big numbers as being the best.

The main up to date spec. for ordinary auto fuel hose is SAE J30 R9 - which is fuel injection pressure rated so more than capable of handling carburettor fuel delivery pressures.

The best R9 hoses are branded Codan and Cohline. Both available from Volksbolts who are well experienced in this field.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.