Engine Leave engine unused after rebuild? - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 13-01-2020, 11:16 PM   #1
Fuchs915
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Leave engine unused after rebuild?

I have an engine that I will rebuild for a project I am working on and wonder if they can be rebuilt and then not used for a while. I am trying to get my head round the order of the jobs to do during the winter and also free up some space. It might be 5-6 months before the engine gets put in/run so could I do the rebuild now and just leave it sitting or would this not work? I am wondering if the assembly fluids / pastes would remain effective in protecting engine on start up. If the advice is do it later, that's fine, as I said just trying to get various jobs done while the weather isn't great and days are shorter.
Cheers
Kevin
Fuchs915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 08:46 AM   #2
M.I.B
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (2)

Get it built, even to a long block (no tinware or fan), and floor run it to break in the cam (if you have to - old cam and old lifters don't need this).

With no load on them on a workshop floor they don't get silly hot with 2 x 10 minute runs at medium revs.

Once it's either has 20 minutes of running in on the floor in 2 x 10 minute sessions, drain out the oil, wash out the oil strainer ( in petrol) , then refill the engine.

Take the plugs out, turn it over on the bottom pulley bolt with a ratchet, about 40 times. Spray plug tips with WD 40 and put back in.

Dizzy cap off - spray the innards with WD40, replace cap.

Cover engine with sheet to keep the condensation off it. Job done.

Indian Scout 101ci

Originally Posted by mr slug:

"Best bike on the thread IMO, outright winner"

The Runaway Boy
M.I.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 06:51 PM   #3
Fuchs915
Chat Slapper

Thanks MIB, that's very helpful. It's a new cam and followers so will need to be run in. I should have the gearbox mounted soon so can build up the engine and run it on the chassis.
Fuchs915 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15-01-2020, 11:38 AM   #4
HOT 1200
Seasoned Chat Slut

If any vwac engine is left sitting around for ages, apart from doing the usual things to protect it from corrosion, always remove the rocker shafts so valves are seated and springs are not left compressed.
HOT 1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 06:50 PM   #5
sanders356
Chat Slapper

I would cover over the engine and plug any exposed holes to prevent dirt/dust/nuts/bolts/grinding sparks etc from getting in.

Better to be safe than sorry!!
sanders356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 07:18 PM   #6
sanders356
Chat Slapper

I would cover over the engine and plug any exposed holes to prevent dirt/dust/nuts/bolts/grinding sparks etc from getting in.

Better to be safe than sorry!!
sanders356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 08:07 PM   #7
GlenAnderson
Saddest VZi'er 2020

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (18)

If it's only going to be a few months then I don't see an issue. I wouldn't bother running it on the floor, but I would thoroughly pallet wrap it, together with some desiccant packs, to keep it dry and to prevent anything getting inadvertently dropped into any orifices.
Old 26-01-2020, 01:05 AM   #8
Beetlebank
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuchs915 View Post
I have an engine that I will rebuild for a project I am working on and wonder if they can be rebuilt and then not used for a while. I am trying to get my head round the order of the jobs to do during the winter and also free up some space. It might be 5-6 months before the engine gets put in/run so could I do the rebuild now and just leave it sitting or would this not work? I am wondering if the assembly fluids / pastes would remain effective in protecting engine on start up. If the advice is do it later, that's fine, as I said just trying to get various jobs done while the weather isn't great and days are shorter.
Cheers
Kevin
It all depends upon if you are storing the motor outside in the rain, or in your bedroom...