Volkszone Forum banner

'Graphic Novel' Style...

6K views 59 replies 10 participants last post by  Brian Burrows 
#1 ·
I'm trying to develop a 'comic book'/'graphic novel' style illustration of my own - I'm in negotiations with a publisher who wants to produce a 'coffee table' book of my artwork.

Originally, he just wanted to reproduce a whole load of my album sleeve art, but I've convinced him to try something new.

So with the working title of 'Return To Splendour', I'm trying to create high-end 'comic book' illustrations of legends (both from the music world and others like McQueen, Newman, James Dean, etc.) who are no longer with us.

My first attempt is the recently departed Keith Flint . . . (which, once scanned for the book - I will auction the original at VW Action for Brad's.)

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I'm trying to develop a 'comic book'/'graphic novel' style illustration of my own - I'm in negotiations with a publisher who wants to produce a 'coffee table' book of my artwork.

Originally, he just wanted to reproduce a whole load of my album sleeve art, but I've convinced him to try something new.

So with the working title of 'Return To Splendour', I'm trying to create high-end 'comic book' illustrations of legends (both from the music world and others like McQueen, Newman, James Dean, etc.) who are no longer with us.

My first attempt is the recently departed Keith Flint . . . (which, once scanned for the book - I will auction the original at VW Action for Brad's.)
Fantastic idea.

With so many illustrations already 'in the bag' and a lifetime of being creative in that industry, it would be a great to have a compilation of all your best works.

Best of luck Brian, I am sure it will be a success :)

#6 ·
Ah! Yes, that would have been the easier option (to use existing artwork) - but I've talked him (and myself) into completely new illustrations (which of course I'll need to find time to do.) :lol:

I don't make things easy on myself. :D

#11 ·

Is this your painting or the photo your copying from??? Looks amazing if its yours:D

#15 ·
Aaaargh!

I sent Jon (the publisher) over the Keith Flint and Bowie images - and he loves them - but it's created more (urgent) work for me - apparently there's some trade book fair in September where all the publishers meet up to license product and stuff. He needs a front cover mocked up to take with him.

With a title like 'Return To Splendour' it has to be Elvis on the cover - so, it looks like a few more long nights painting for me (in amongst the VW Action stuff.) :lol:

#16 ·
You do know 'Gluttony' is a mortal sin :lol:

Although, I do think an over indulgence in work is on the forgivable list :D

In any event the Bowie illustration is excellent - I love that translucent look it has about it - not sure if it is intentional, but it certainly gives it a 'departed' look.
Mind you, Bowie always did make himself up to look like he had already died, when he was well and truly alive.

The title is perfect too :)

#26 ·
I genuinely love watching stuff like this unfold. The best thing about the diverse talents that human beings have is that some people can do things to standards that others simply can’t. Being able to exercise the bit of you that’s “special” in a way that brings joy to others is awesome.

#27 ·
I genuinely love watching stuff like this unfold. The best thing about the diverse talents that human beings have is that some people can do things to standards that others simply can't. Being able to exercise the bit of you that's "special" in a way that brings joy to others is awesome.
i've been trying to think of a way to phrase what i was thinking but Glen has pretty much distilled my thoughts
i love watching talented people working

#35 ·
:lol:

Four, is a much more reasonable goal. :D

But, in any event, that Elvis is brilliant in its own right - the final finish is almost photographic - very impressive work indeed.

Good luck getting it all ready by the deadline.
You may need to buy an spectra box of candles to burn :D

#47 · (Edited)
Thanks guys :hug:

I got the colour done - just finished 1.00am(ish) - just a bit of fine tuning tomorrow when it's dry . . .

Last day of advance ticket sales for Action tomorrow (BUSY!) - then that long drive to the UK again. I'm knackered already and we haven't started to build the show yet. :lol:

Good job I'm young and fit :incheek: :D

[EDIT] Click for biggerer

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.