Volkszone Forum banner

Smull - The Road To The London Marathon 2021

20K views 301 replies 20 participants last post by  smull 
#1 · (Edited)
Smull - The Road To The London Marathon 2021

If you don't have a passing interest in my running (or me), keep scrolling, this isn't the post for you. If you do; buckle up buttercup, it's gonna be a long ride.

Since an injury picked up during my fifth (and last) London Marathon in 2015, I have barely ran a step. Subsequently I put on weight, got diabetes....then lost 6 stones & reversed the diabetes before letting myself go again. I now sit (weight wise) somewhere in the middle, fortunately still minus the diabetes.

Having restricted myself to my cousin's Pimm's drinking London Marathon cheer squad every year since 2016, I made a decision last year to apply for the London Marathon 2020. (A decision more than a little fuelled by the aforementioned Pimm's). Also, being the 25th anniversary of my mum's death I applied to Christie's cancer hospital for a place, in addition to the ballot, to give myself even less chance to back out.

Fast forward to October 2019 and I was denied my place, by both organisations. I was a little disappointed but decided I would resume my position with Team Pimm's. BUT....life is what happens to you when you're making other plans and soon after the rejection I was contacted (independently) by two friends. Friends who, knowing my history with the race, asked if I'd run in 2020. Stand up Scott & Ian. You pair of utter bastards.

It was decision time and I had some thinking to do. Did I want to poke the hornet's nest again? Well, it turns out that I must like getting stung because a couple of days later I decided I'd go for it.

However, the first (of many) problems was this; I wanted to run but had no place. The VLM is an invite only party and right now I was stood outside the door trying to convince the bouncer to let me in because I wasn't drunk.

Step forward Scott. Scott has been hugely supportive of my tubby running over the years and after his son's diagnosis with Becker muscular dystrophy has been on his own mission, completing challenges to raise money for (and awareness of) Muscular Dystrophy. It turns out, he's now quite the triathlete and is never far from a swim, run or bike ride.

With Scott (and his son Alex) as my inspiration I am now hugely proud to be part of the 2020 London Marathon #teamorange, raising money for Muscular Dystrophy UK.

Now the hard work begins, because right now my marathon ability has left the building. Only hard work will get me there and that hard work has already started. Today was my longest run since 2015, but at a mere 5km I have a looooong winter ahead to get marathon ready.

https://runkeeper.com/user/smulls/activity/1412662966?tripIdBase36=nd29py&activityList=false&

Will I do it? F*ck knows....but I've done it before, so I can do it again.

London Marathon medal number 6....I'm coming for you. You can follow me Mo Fattah, here (and other social medias) to see how it all pans out.

If you're still awake & reading this, I'll be coming for you (and your wallets) soon enough but for now, just enjoy the ride. Thanks to all so far for their support, not least of all Madam Smull who'll be left entertaining the kids whilst I'm out pounding the pavements....in the dark.

Peace & love,

Smull
a.k.a. The Tubby Runster
x

P.s. If you're really bored, you can read of my previous marathon highs and lows here:

https://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/showthread.php?t=637544

https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=692206

https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=745269

https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=938281

https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=1227409

#vlm2020 #londonmarathon #running #tubbyrunster #london #marathon #teamorange #mduk

Attachments

See less See more
#157 ·
As always, good to meet up.:)

I didn't manage to convince Andy to run on hills, but I did set off down a narrow winding path, that was full of mud, nettles and thorns. When we reached the other end, we realised it finished at a wooden fishing platform and we has to turn round and go back.:D

#158 ·
:)

I'd be disappointed if a Sol run didn't go off-piste. My nettle stings had subsided by tea time :D

#159 ·
As it was the first time I've been there and that it's ten minutes from Castle GreySmull, I feel you've got to take a bit of the blame.:D

After spending the morning there and the afternoon at Haigh Hall, hanging around in the rain, it was well past tea time before I felt even vaguely human again.

#160 ·
Update

Hey Runsters!

Another London Marathon decision deadline passes.....with no decision.

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarath.../27-july-message-from-hugh-brasher/index.html

Apparently they'll let us know if it's going ahead on the 7th August.....maybe :rolleyes: I think they're trying to go ahead, I just don't know if it's a good idea? The event will look very different to the race I know and love. *sigh*

Andy

tubbyrunster (Insta & Faceache)

#londonmarathon #vlm2020 #marathontraining #tubbyrunster #teamorange #musculardystrophyuk #virginlondonmarathon

Attachments

#161 ·
An announcement to say there's no announcement.

I reckon it's as we chatted about Andy. They're trying their best to get it on, as the great British recovery and spirit.

Keep calm and carry on.....running.

On the plus side, with your holibobs abroad cancelled, it's two weeks debauchery out of the window and extra training slotted in. Two whole weeks running around Tyldesley and Leigh instead of lying by the pool, catching some sun and drinking Cruzcampo. I bet you can hardly wait.:D

Give me a shout if you need some company on them.

#162 ·
VLM

An announcement to say there's no announcement.

I reckon it's as we chatted about Andy. They're trying their best to get it on, as the great British recovery and spirit.

Keep calm and carry on.....running.

On the plus side, with your holibobs abroad cancelled, it's two weeks debauchery out of the window and extra training slotted in. Two whole weeks running around Tyldesley and Leigh instead of lying by the pool, catching some sun and drinking Cruzcampo. I bet you can hardly wait.:D

Give me a shout if you need some company on them.
Most competitors are unhappy with the situation and the VLM is losing friends....fast. It's definitely being puppeted from on high, I can't imagine Hugh Brasher is this stubborn in real life.

I guess we'll have to see but I can't imagine the race will look anything like the event I love and I'll have to seriously consider pulling out if there's to be no spectators. The atmosphere is what makes it for me!

As for training, I've booked another jolly so (covid willing) will be taking my trainers to the sun. You'll be pleased to know that the destination is hilly :eek: It's almost like you planned it :lol: Hope to get out running with you when I get back!

#163 ·
London Marathon 2020

2020's latest victim! I 'might' take part in the virtual 2020 race but my 6th London Marathon will have to wait until 2021, 2022 or 2023.

I'm not yet sure how the decision will be made on how they choose what people will run in which year.

Attachments

#165 ·
Medal!!

It's not surprising but the handling of the situation has been very poor. I'll probably take part in the virtual race on 4th October. I'll have 24 hrs to cover the distance and still get a medal....and damn, Smull loves a medal.

Attachments

#171 ·
Virtually Ready?

Got a long winded email from Parkrun yesterday. Didn't really say anything. Just talking about the 'framework' for returning. Whatever that means. :rolleyes:
I read somewhere yesterday that Parkrun is back in October :)

In other news:

Hey Runsters!

Long time, no speak. Turbulent times in the running world (as I'm sure you're aware) and the London Marathon is no longer happening for us fun runners.

I was however given the option to complete the 'marathon' virtually and that's exactly what I'm going to do. So on 4th October 2020 I'll be lacing up my running shoes and hitting the street. Due to the stop-start, will it, won't it effect that the indecision had on my training (plus the lockdown snacky snacks!) I am not really marathon ready so I'll be jog-walking the 26.2 mile distance. Luckily I have a full 24 hours to achieve this feat.

This is in addition to running the London Marathon for real in either 2021, 2022 or 2023. I await confirmation of the exact year from the London Marathon help desk.

Soooooo, you lucky punters have got me on a 2-4-1 marathon deal. (Pass out to help out if you will). My charity, Muscular Dystrophy UK, has lost a huge amount this year through event cancellations.

Due to this (and for the extra pound of flesh I'll be giving) I'd be enormously grateful of your financial support for my 2 marathons in the space of one year. It's not what I planned but I'm up for the challenge and you can support me by clicking the linky here:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/andrew-smullen

Keep smiling and keep on runnin'.

Cheers,
Andy

#londonmarathon #vlm2020 #marathontraining #tubbyrunster #teamorange #musculardystrophyuk #virginlondonmarathon

#174 ·
Woefully Underprepared!

Hey Runsters!

With 2 weeks to go until the 'virtual' London Marathon (and no chance I'll complete the distance at jogging pace) I thought I'd better get some walk training done!

I'm no Carol Vorderman but from a rough calculation my walking pace today would've equated to a 7hr 30min ish marathon time but....whatever will be, will be.

Gonna do a few short jogs this week to get back out there ahead of the event to try and get some miles under my feet. As ever, you can support me by clicking the linky here:

Cheers,
Andy

Attachments

#178 ·
Not Long Now!

Nope :D

Shit just got real. 6 days until I have to move my lard ass 26.2 miles without a car!

Cheers,
Andy

Attachments

#179 ·
Shit!

Hey Runsters!

Shit just got real: Part 2.

The tracker app for my virtual London Marathon has just landed and in a little over 3 days I have to move my lard ass 26.2 miles with no car! If you can spare some pennies for my charity, Muscular Dystrophy U.K. I'd be really grateful.

The plan at the moment is to finish in less than 8 hours (after this point at the actual London Marathon you don't get a medal) but whatever will be, will be.

The weather is not looking the best either as a storm is due to hit. I'd better dig out my umbrella hat 😜

I'll be updating my Faceache page (@tubbyrunster) with my progress as and when I'm able after I start early on Sunday morning.

Cheers,
Andy

#londonmarathon #vlm2020 #marathontraining #tubbyrunster #teamorange #musculardystrophyuk #virginlondonmarathon #the40thRace #the40thRaceyourway

Attachments

#185 ·
Sunday

I think I mentioned possibly joining you for some of it. I can't, work has to be done. :(

Have you planned a route or just seeing where your legs take you?
No worries dude, I'll mostly be walking anyway so you'd have died of boredom :D You can laugh at follow my progress via the app (Bib number 41595).

I've planned a (large) loop of our local area which measures 26.34 miles. My mate is collecting me at stupid o' clock on Sunday morning and we're starting from his house (nr Atherton) at 6.30am ish.

Gulp!

Attachments

#187 ·
Cheers mate. All set.

Just watching 'Eliud Kipchoge: My Sub Two-Hour Marathon' on iPlayer in readiness for tomorrow.

Obviously, I won't have the entourage that he had in tow so my time will probably end up 'a little' adrift from my 2 hour target.
:D

If anyone would like to sponsor me, you can do so here:

Any amount gratefully received.
:)

Attachments

#195 ·
Fin.

:D

Well, 9 hours on my feet with little training was not clever. I was aiming for 8 hours but hey, I'll take that. Especially as I've got a black big toenail and monster blisters. I can't feel my feet and the parts I can feel are agony BUT it's done and I have another 26.2 miles under my belt.

Thanks for all the tremendous support, messages and donations. If you haven't donated (and would like to) you can do so here:

Right, I'm going for a bath and a lie down! Congratulations to everyone who took part and enjoy your evening.

Cheers,
Andy

#londonmarathon #vlm2020 #marathontraining #tubbyrunster #teamorange #musculardystrophyuk #virginlondonmarathon #the40thRace #the40thRaceyourway

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.