Engine I hear you knocking... - Page 2 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 18-04-2019, 08:10 AM   #11
48pop
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

I had a similar noisy knocking......Sounded like pully....Turned out it was a loose head.... ! Quick torque up and all good

Whip off the covers, worth a check !
48pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 08:51 AM   #12
thebiglebowski0
Chat Slapper

Thanks for the tips dudes, I'll get the covers off and check my torque settings. If it has gone down the inlet manifold (and I really hope it hasn't!) what are the next steps... how do I get the rogue agent out!!!

Cheers
thebiglebowski0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 02:01 PM   #13
Zed999
Wannabe Chat Slut

After I dropped a M6 washer into one of my engines a quick dab on the starter key was all it took. Bang. It was quite easy to track it down to a velocity stack, I hadn't put them back on and I was a washer short. It was M6, valves were 40mm and it got past them. Hence the bang.

On the stock TP set up, dropped washers slither down between the manifold and tin where they wait patiently for somebody to loosen the manifold so they can jump down a port and stick in the valve. Usually M8 and smaller valves they don't make it right through. My monies on that.
Zed999 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 18-04-2019, 02:43 PM   #14
thebiglebowski0
Chat Slapper

Thanks for the heads up man. The more I think on it the more likely this sounds. It sounds like it may have dropped down one of the left side ports! Can I retrieve this with a magnetic on a scope or some other technique (drain the oil?) Or is this an engine out thing!
Old 18-04-2019, 05:01 PM   #15
Big Al
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (7)

I have a camera thing If your local to sheffield.
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 05:02 PM   #16
Big Al
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (7)

Did you take the belt off completely and start it to be sure it's not fan/geni related? Not just swap the belt. Sorry if that's spelling out the obvious.
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 08:08 PM   #17
thebiglebowski0
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
Did you take the belt off completely and start it to be sure it's not fan/geni related? Not just swap the belt. Sorry if that's spelling out the obvious.
Hey Big Al,

Good to hear from you, thanks for the offer but i'm down in the west country. I've not fired up the beetle with the belt off because I was worried it would be bad for the bug. Is it ok to fire up for a short while with the belt off? If so i'll defo try that before freaking out about a nut/washer that may/may not be lurking down the ports. Cheers mate

Last edited by thebiglebowski0; 18-04-2019 at 09:57 PM..
Old 20-04-2019, 12:27 PM   #18
thebiglebowski0
Chat Slapper

Have bought a flexible magnetic grab tool in anticipation of engine fishing? Anybody had much success with this? If so, what holes did you prod down (ooh-er).
Old 20-04-2019, 06:19 PM   #19
Zed999
Wannabe Chat Slut

J
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglebowski0 View Post
Have bought a flexible magnetic grab tool in anticipation of engine fishing? Anybody had much success with this? If so, what holes did you prod down (ooh-er).
If there's something stuck in a valve it will have to come out the way it went in so off with the inlet manifold.

If there's something in the cylinder, spark plug hole if it's big enough.

I realise it may seem OTT, but I'd take the engine out and start stripping it down. Once you get the head off you'll know what happened and you can judge the damage, if any, and make repairs. Otherwise you are just magnet fishing and crossing your fingers.
Zed999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 03:25 PM   #20
thebiglebowski0
Chat Slapper

Thanks for the advice dude
Reply Post New Thread