Splitscreen Shysters - Page 3 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Chat/Discussion

Chat/Discussion Kind of like a VW club online - you can sit in our virtual pub and talk about whatever you want to. All opinions are valid, but please no insulting (other than to our intelligence,) abusive or libellous posts. Please feel free to post your opinion on any given subject, but also be aware that others have the equal right to disagree with you - and some will certainly tell you so. No 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your business, links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (please use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled "What's my car worth?" threads too (please use the 'Dude! What's My Car Worth?' forum) - and please don't use just to post links to other VW forums or websites - we are aware that other sites exist (obviously), but blatant 'plugs' (poaching) will simply be deleted.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 18-02-2015, 10:45 AM   #21
dragster172
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBUG View Post
I've heard of this, sending a vehicle to Poland etc to have it repaired/restored on the cheap. Parts might cost the same but labour rates can be lower and as a large % of the total bill is labour there could be savings. However, quality could be compromised to some extent?

Why do some people have a problem with profit in the UK?
It's like it's a dirty word.
Without profit nothing in commerce/industry would exist, why would it?

A recent example of profit is the Brighton bug, bought on the cheap and flipped for £££s. Is that a shyster taking advantage or an opportunist spotting a bargain and turning it to their advantage?
A wise man once said on here 'You walk to your own beat' and that's true. If you're happy profiteering then good for you, but don't expect everybody to have the same moral compass
Karmann Colorado
Team Footwear™
Renault 5 GT Turbo
dragster172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 10:53 AM   #22
BrownBUG
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster172 View Post
A wise man once said on here 'You walk to your own beat' and that's true. If you're happy profiteering then good for you, but don't expect everybody to have the same moral compass
There's earned profit and exploitation, a big difference IMO.

How do you think the world works then? The last cup of tea you bought would have cost around 1-2p for the tea bag, but you'd have paid around £1 for it. Is that blatant exploitation or providing a beverage at a reasonable price in a place you're at with somewhere warm and dry to sit and staff to serve you with crockery, tea spoons, sugar and milk? You tell me what's right?

I supply auto components, I also provide some level of tech advice, ensuring my customer gets the correct part for their requirement. I provide post purchase back up as well. I provide a serviced/tech product sale and make a few £s for my trouble/time/effort/knowledge, is that somehow wrong in your world. Should I supply at cost?

FYI I walk a path I'm comfortable with thank you

http://www.royalcountyautosupply.co.uk

TWON's fund raising for Brad's - https://www.justgiving.com/MrVZi-2013

Royal County Auto Supply promise to donate at least £2 (or 5% of any profit) for every purchase during 2016 from VZi members.
BrownBUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #23
Chino_uk
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

I think as long as the work is up to standard and the vehicle is safe it's fine. If someone is prepared to pay a price they think it is worth, then fine. Is this pretty much not what a load of established places are doing? Shipping in buses they buy cheap from abroad, tidying them up a little then making a decent mark up?
Chino_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread