My 65' Bug - Page 2 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

VW Heritage
Reply Post New Thread

Old 28-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
Tsettle
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Love the colour and stance dude. Not really into neon lights but you've twisted my arm with this one. It's nice to see something different, especially in the engine bay.
Cool car...
Old 28-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #12
speedy.tom1
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (2)

Hi mate, was wondering what header and stinger u using cus i wanted one that tucks in just like urs, is it a custom job or can you buy them??

cheers
speedy.tom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #13
Rycooled
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedspark View Post
How about taller tyres? Better final drive ratio and the stinger would be further from the ground.

In all seriousness, I would leave the axles as they are, they're much easier to change than gearbox internals and even the clutch, at least until you have a bigger engine.

Overall nice beetle.
taller tyres would definitely be the easiest way, something I was thinking about which ive seen is 16" banded steels on the rear which i guess would have the same affect?
So dont do the axles?

Cheers dude!
Rycooled is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
Rycooled
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsettle View Post
Love the colour and stance dude. Not really into neon lights but you've twisted my arm with this one. It's nice to see something different, especially in the engine bay.
Cool car...
Thanks! a lot of people have said their not a fan of the lights, but i just think it makes it stand out a bit when its parked up with a load of other bugs, and i love the fact it just looks like an average ratty bug till you open the engine bay up.
Thanks!
Old 03-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
wastedspark
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rycooled View Post
taller tyres would definitely be the easiest way, something I was thinking about which ive seen is 16" banded steels on the rear which i guess would have the same affect?
So dont do the axles?

Cheers dude!
I like banded steels

I'm assuming you want race axles so they don't break.
My point is that there will always be a weakest point, as you upgrade one part another becomes the weak link, increases in engine power, tyre height/width and suspension add to the strain on the drive train, my opinion is that if something is going to break I'd rather it was cheap and easy to replace, if you upgrade your gearbox for strength, suit your clutch to your engine and treat your axles well by preloading and avoiding hard launches then stock axles should be ok with your engine spec.

I run a lighter buggy, but with 245/50/17 tyres a turbo'd 1641 all on a stock IRS box with stock axles, I've no plans to change them yet.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #16
Rycooled
Chat Slapper

Quote:
I like banded steels

I'm assuming you want race axles so they don't break.
My point is that there will always be a weakest point, as you upgrade one part another becomes the weak link, increases in engine power, tyre height/width and suspension add to the strain on the drive train, my opinion is that if something is going to break I'd rather it was cheap and easy to replace, if you upgrade your gearbox for strength, suit your clutch to your engine and treat your axles well by preloading and avoiding hard launches then stock axles should be ok with your engine spec.

I run a lighter buggy, but with 245/50/17 tyres a turbo'd 1641 all on a stock IRS box with stock axles, I've no plans to change them yet.
Ahh i see what you mean, yeah that is what I was thinking, only because I enjoy annoying little racer boys in their 1.1 corsas or whatever launching from the traffic lights haha, I dont do it often but would just like to know im not going to destroy something if the time ever comes!
Thats fair enough though, I just wasn't sure how strong the stock axles were.
Thats quite impressive! How much does the 1641 make with a turbo?
Old 03-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #17
wastedspark
Seasoned Chat Slut

Ha ha, doesn't matter how much power you have if you pick the right fight.

Yeah it goes alright, I'm still tuning it to be fair and being open topped I don't get a lot of driving time
(or maybe that's cause I keep changing things) I want more power though,

If your read my build thread you'll see that I'm changing my rear tyres, this is because the gearing is too high for my liking and the engine struggles to pull in forth gear. You'll get the same effect if you increase the tyre diameter or final drive on the gearbox, the physical effects will be slower acceleration but a greater top speed, which is all well and good if you have the power to over come the effects of drag as the speed increases.

I enjoy driving, (if you know what I mean) but my 140bhp focus is the most powerful car I've owned, on the roads there just isn't the need for much more to have fun, maybe I'm getting too old, my attention is more towards track driving where I can exploit a more powerful car in relative safety,

Again only my opinion, but I'd concentrate on the other aspects of a quick car for now, suspension that works on uk roads, and good tyres and brakes that work in all conditions, then when time and money (insurance) allows fit the engine you want.

Remember once you drive a quick car, nothing will seem as good.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #18
Rycooled
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pothole View Post
Ryan nice looking bug, keep seeing it on the drive when passing with work but never in a position to stop but you may get a knock soon lol also it confused me seeing ur 65 on one drive and your other one on your neighbours (well that's what it looked like). Mines on the road at the moment but needs the the engine tuning a bit and front torsion bars or bearings are not sounding to good, don't think hitting a pothole on Christmas Eve helped lol. Hoping to replace at some point with 4 inch narrowed slamwerks. Bens been saying about us all meeting up and capturing a few pics
Cheers mate! well if you are going past and can feel free to stop by!
and yeah haha the 72 has gone now but i did have them both sitting around taking up space for a while!
That probably didn't help things! and yeah it'll look awesome with the narrowed beam! you could always go 6" like mine! that'lll make benny sick! haha
And yeah thatd be awesome, get dans down too, they'll look awesome all together!
Old 03-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #19
Rycooled
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Ha ha, doesn't matter how much power you have if you pick the right fight.

Yeah it goes alright, I'm still tuning it to be fair and being open topped I don't get a lot of driving time
(or maybe that's cause I keep changing things) I want more power though,

If your read my build thread you'll see that I'm changing my rear tyres, this is because the gearing is too high for my liking and the engine struggles to pull in forth gear. You'll get the same effect if you increase the tyre diameter or final drive on the gearbox, the physical effects will be slower acceleration but a greater top speed, which is all well and good if you have the power to over come the effects of drag as the speed increases.

I enjoy driving, (if you know what I mean) but my 140bhp focus is the most powerful car I've owned, on the roads there just isn't the need for much more to have fun, maybe I'm getting too old, my attention is more towards track driving where I can exploit a more powerful car in relative safety,

Again only my opinion, but I'd concentrate on the other aspects of a quick car for now, suspension that works on uk roads, and good tyres and brakes that work in all conditions, then when time and money (insurance) allows fit the engine you want.

Remember once you drive a quick car, nothing will seem as good.
That said, I did chase a ferrari up the road the other day as a bit of a laugh!

Had a look trough your thread and your buggy looks awesome! It does look like a lot of fun to drive! Id love to have a go in one one day.
I do still have a lot of work to do, brakes being a major next thing! the single circuit thing is a little un nerving! haha
and as far as the suspension goes its always going to be a slammed car, so as long as it goes quick in a straight line and stops reasonably in not to worried!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #20
Andy Gray 1995
Chat Slapper

'Dope' Beetle lad
Andy Gray 1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread