Campsites that do not charge double for camper with eriba - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > VZI REGIONS, HOLIDAYS, TRIPS, NIGHTS OUT > South West

South West Campsites, Holidays, Days or Nights Out in the South West

Advertise on Volkszone.com

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 08:00 AM   #1
1Dub
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Campsites that do not charge double for camper with eriba

Were looking for campsites preferably Cornwall or/and New forest area. We have a '73 Westy and will be towing our Eriba puck, both have awnings but we can get away with just using the camper awning.

What I would like to know if anyone has experience with campsites which will accommodate us without charging double

Cheers
1Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:44 PM   #2
1Dub
Chat Slapper

anybody?
Old 14-05-2016, 02:49 PM   #3
1Dub
Chat Slapper

Maybe I'm in the wrong forum section? anybody with Eriba Pucks go camping?

Old 16-05-2016, 04:57 PM   #4
Eddiex
Chat Virgin

I'll be interested in any replies should you get any (!) as I am considering a Puck purchase. I'm trying to convince myself that my 1600 bus will be 'man enough' for the job

I have asked the question about being charged double with a campervan and an Eriba on some caravan forums. The concensus from them seems to be (generally) that many sites are not bothered. Those that are appear to send a staff member to your plot to see if you are actually sleeping in both vans. The answer is, obviously, not!

They also told me that in Europe they are not bothered at all. They see the campervan as a tow car.

A Puck is about the same size as an awning and they don't charge double for them?!
Eddiex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 03:09 PM   #5
1Dub
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
I'll be interested in any replies should you get any (!) as I am considering a Puck purchase. I'm trying to convince myself that my 1600 bus will be 'man enough' for the job

I have asked the question about being charged double with a campervan and an Eriba on some caravan forums. The concensus from them seems to be (generally) that many sites are not bothered. Those that are appear to send a staff member to your plot to see if you are actually sleeping in both vans. The answer is, obviously, not!

They also told me that in Europe they are not bothered at all. They see the campervan as a tow car.

A Puck is about the same size as an awning and they don't charge double for them?!
I thought there may have been more people with experience of campsites with the puck, obviously when we're at shows it doesn't matter at all but as space may be limited it may be a different story although even if we did fit on the pitch, I dare say some sites would want to charge double if they thought we were using the van and puck for sleeping but as you say, what about sleeping in the van and awning?

Travelling with the wife, 2 teenage kids and a dog, we used to pull a trailer with most of the gear but when the chance came to buy a puck for a good price we jumped at the chance. So now the eldest has moved from the awning to the puck and we have more storage which we can leave in the puck without needing to empty the trailer.

The van has a 1600 with twin carbs and has no problem at all towing the puck. We have other VW's including a '65 Beetle and a '76 Westy trailer but I can say the Puck is one of the best additions yet
Old 19-05-2016, 09:15 AM   #6
Eddiex
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dub View Post

Travelling with the wife, 2 teenage kids and a dog, we used to pull a trailer with most of the gear but when the chance came to buy a puck for a good price we jumped at the chance. So now the eldest has moved from the awning to the puck and we have more storage which we can leave in the puck without needing to empty the trailer.

The van has a 1600 with twin carbs and has no problem at all towing the puck. We have other VW's including a '65 Beetle and a '76 Westy trailer but I can say the Puck is one of the best additions yet
You have more passengers than me! I fancy a Puck for when we go away for longer periods to give us a bit more space. We are finding the awning a bit of pain! On shorter stays I prefer to use the van as it is. I guess the Puck is a bit of a luxury for us but as you know from your purchase, good early Pucks, hold their value well so if it doesn't work out they sell fairly easily.

My bus also has a 1600 with twin carbs so your experience towing with your VW's is encouraging. Of course the naysayers tell me that towing with a bus is a disaster!

Many of the replies on the caravan forums were along the following lines -

the plots usually accomodate the caravan and the towing car which, in your case, happens to be a camper van. On some very small sites the caravanners have been asked to park their towing vehicles in a separate car park having set up. Most of the sites state this clearly on their web sites. Alot of the caravanners tell me that they would avoid a site that enforced this policy.

I'm new to all this camping malarky but last year we stayed at Woods Farm site in Charmouth. Very nice site in an immaculate order. All of the pitches are large and have a gravel area and grassy part. I took my T2 bay and an awning. The white box caravans were bloody huge and had awnings that were equally big. The tow cars were all on the same plot - no problems at all as long as you observe the fire rules/lanes that are clearly obvious. My search for sites in the UK this year has turned up with similar rules so I can't see it being a problem. Not looked at Europe this year but am taking my bus and awning to France in June so will find out what the score is over there.

Hope that is some help. I've not got a Puck yet but would be good if you update this thread with how you get on?

Got any pics of your Puck and tow car?
Eddiex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:06 AM   #7
1Dub
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
You have more passengers than me! I fancy a Puck for when we go away for longer periods to give us a bit more space. We are finding the awning a bit of pain! On shorter stays I prefer to use the van as it is. I guess the Puck is a bit of a luxury for us but as you know from your purchase, good early Pucks, hold their value well so if it doesn't work out they sell fairly easily.

My bus also has a 1600 with twin carbs so your experience towing with your VW's is encouraging. Of course the naysayers tell me that towing with a bus is a disaster!

Many of the replies on the caravan forums were along the following lines -

the plots usually accomodate the caravan and the towing car which, in your case, happens to be a camper van. On some very small sites the caravanners have been asked to park their towing vehicles in a separate car park having set up. Most of the sites state this clearly on their web sites. Alot of the caravanners tell me that they would avoid a site that enforced this policy.

I'm new to all this camping malarky but last year we stayed at Woods Farm site in Charmouth. Very nice site in an immaculate order. All of the pitches are large and have a gravel area and grassy part. I took my T2 bay and an awning. The white box caravans were bloody huge and had awnings that were equally big. The tow cars were all on the same plot - no problems at all as long as you observe the fire rules/lanes that are clearly obvious. My search for sites in the UK this year has turned up with similar rules so I can't see it being a problem. Not looked at Europe this year but am taking my bus and awning to France in June so will find out what the score is over there.

Hope that is some help. I've not got a Puck yet but would be good if you update this thread with how you get on?

Got any pics of your Puck and tow car?
Sorry for the late reply, we would never use a site on which parking your car in a separate carpark is in the rules whether it be the bus or the car. We go camping in the new forest every year most of the time on Roundhills which is just a forestry site although that site is getting very expensive for what it is and I'm sure they would charge double if we took the Puck.
We've changed to Cornwall for this year and have found a site which does not charge double for the Puck.
I'm rebuilding the Beetle engine at the moment (1641) which i'll use in the camper while I get around to restoring the Beetle then I may rebuild the camper engine a bit bigger than that, I did say the 1600 pulls the Puck fine but I am looking at a little less stress on the engine when we're fully loaded in both the camper an the Puck along with 2 awnings 2 weeks worth of stuff and all the family especially when travelling somewhere with a few steep hills.
Anyway let me know how you get on in France and you never know you may find a Puck for sale there a bit cheaper than here
Old 25-07-2016, 08:03 PM   #8
1Dub
Chat Slapper

Lots of views but not many replies? found somewhere in the end
Reply Post New Thread