Volkszone Forum banner

BREAK OR FIX???

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  shallow 
#1 ·
Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I just need some advice on my crossover bay project

it needs a shed load of work. Already nearly finished one corner and got a new front (nearly) on.

it needs the other 3 corners doing, outriggers jacking points.. chassis rail looks good though, the odd plate here and there

it has a good beam, discs on the front, doors are good (small amount of rot on bottoms but nothing major) engine lid good, gutters excellent, no rot round there. sliding door good.

engine and gearbox are an unknown quantity

some :mad: person has had the VIN plates so I got it at a reduction to one that had papers.

So what do I do?? BREAK OR CONTINUE RESTO?? There's something that doesn't feel right about breaking her, but the familly would prefer a more rolling resto, The wife really wants a T25, I drive one as my daily and love them.

answers on a postcard

See less See more
#3 ·
No VIN plates = never being able to put it back on the road legally, or else living with Q plates. You'll probably find that there's a ringer running around on your VIN plates now.

Unfortunately, this alone would make me think twice about restoring it.

#4 ·
thanks both... I think you may have a point about the enthusiasm! I bought it for my wife, but it's going to be at least 8 months before we are looking at taking it to the MOT station, and she's missing having a van project (interior) to start to play with...

my dilema is that it's worth more broken than as a project, I break T25's on the side and have some idea what bay spares are worth...

beam 150
doors 100 (each)
sliding door 150
disc brake setup 150
roof chopped up 150
engine lid 50
gearbox (unknown quantity) 100
engine for rebuild (1700cc aircooled) 100
glass 100

don't know how good those prices are, but there is 1150... (and a bit of hassle selling)
I would sell it on for about 700

(ALTHOUGH THIS IS NOT GOING TO TURN INTO A "BUY MY PROJECT" THREAD!!!)

Any more opinions?

TIA

#5 ·
Crossover ..no vin tags ...were are the vin tags any how ? ..but you can get a plate stamped and fit that ..cos there are other places on the van that have the vin number stamped on you know ..now if it were me ..i would be bodging it through a test and selling it as a runner

You do have the new style V5 with it don't you ?? not an old 1 page blue one ?

#6 ·
yeah no vin plate and I can't find a chassis number stamped in the engine bay... no docs, but I knew that when I bought it. I also know the guy had another bay which he said he had just finsihed restoring... hmmm.. well, we all knows it goes on.

it did make this project cheaper to buy though!

#8 ·
I can still get the bus registered.. 2 options,

[1] get a proffessional body (t2 owners club) to age it, and send the written report to DVLA, they will usually issue an age related plate

[2] Apply for a Q plate

I've done the homework on that, and got all paperwork...

#9 ·
I can still get the bus registered.. 2 options,

[1] get a proffessional body (t2 owners club) to age it, and send the written report to DVLA, they will usually issue an age related plate

[2] Apply for a Q plate

I've done the homework on that, and got all paperwork...
Age it based on what exactly? No professional body is going to put together a dating letter without the chassis number. Even if you do get this letter, when you go to the DVLA, they will wish to inspect it. Once they inspect it, and see no chassis number/ restamped chassis number, they will issue a Q plate.

#10 ·
fairy nuff.. I completely respect what you say Rhodrich..

I'm just going on the research I did before I bought it, and the guys in the T2 owners club who told me how they do this.. And the DVLA who put me in touch with the T2 club as they choose who they accept dating letters from.

I told all parties that I had no chassis number.

don't want this to degenerate into a discussion on the law, just wether I go out and buy the remaining outriggers and jacking points, and commit to a few cold winter evenings armed with the MIG!

or cut losses sell and get something more finished

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.