Volkszone Forum banner

Lots of newbie resto questions :)

Body 
2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  David.H 
#1 ·
Hello there,

Like the title says I'm a virgin at the vw resto and have just bought myself a beetle. I have restored cars before (though not quite on this scale) and am now looking to do this as my next challenge. So this leaves me with the following that needs to be replaced:

* Heater channels on both sides
* Floor pans on both sides
* Jacking points on both sides (as I'm there)
* Small rust points in a couple seams/under window areas
* Fuel leak
* Engine wiring problems (will run for a bit but the choke wiring dose not look too good - is wont run when hot so it's prob stuck on full choke)
* Front seat fabric torn
* paint work would benefit from re-spray (looks like orange peel)

And in light of the above (which is all I have found so far on a quick inspection) I have the following questions:

1. As the heater channels and floor pans need replacing how should I go about welding the new ones in?

So far I can see that the door needs to be lifted slightly before I can shut it properly. The way I was going to attach this problem was to lift the car off the ground by 300mm by all 4 wheels then begin to jack up the car in the middle of the tunnel until I could close the doors properly (then jack up a bit more to allow for streching) before welding in new floor pans and heater channels. Of course welding in the appropriate bracing for this before placing in the new floor pans. What you think?

2. How do I stop the rust from coming back?

As the floor pans bolt and spot weld (tack weld) in should I just use sealant between, grey stripe on the seams, red oxide on everything else I can see and spray a generous helping of schultz on the underside and use the appropriate color paint on the inside? This is for the heater channels and floor pans by the way.

3. Should I take the windows out for this work or would this be what is helping the chassis hold it's shape at the moment?
I have to replace the window seals anyway.

4. Fuel hose - should I just replace as original?

5. Is it easy enough to repair the seal fabric myself or should I really as a professional?

6. Is there anything that I should do for the beetle at the same time as all this other work?

Basically is it worth dropping the engine and gearbox to do any inspection? Are there any hard to maintain or inspect areas to do when the car is apart?

If you've read this far thanks for your patients. If I'm repeating a lot of what other threads might have covered please let me know where I could find them.

Many thanks,

Jon

See less See more
#2 ·
Take a look at Misterecks 3 threads. Very indepth rebuild. http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=469539&page=1

The door drop maybe due to the hinges being worn or needing adjusting. the door gap should be 951mm from memory. Unless the pan and channel are that rotted then I'd bet the door gap is still good.
Do the channel first so you can line the bolts up from the existing pan. Once channels are done then you can do the pans :)

#3 ·
Firstly welcome to VZi it is a great place for info and the help ya get on here is amazing.

I'm doing my 1st beetle too and I've found it easier to ask each question on a seperate thread to get specific answers otherwise it gets a bit jumbled.

Also use the search function 1st coz you'll prob find answers to most of your questions before posting.

Oh and get some pics up so we can see what you are up to!!

#4 ·
Have a look in readers rides and look at a few bug resto threads. To do channels and floorpans your best bet is to take the body off. Not as daunting as it sounds and will make your life a lot easier. I would not bother replacing the the jacking points because in my experience you should not jack up a bug from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.