Volkszone Forum banner

My GT 'mini' Resto thread

5K views 34 replies 10 participants last post by  irishkeet 
#1 ·
Hello

I say mini thread because I don't have tons to do to the bug, mainly cosmetic. Any thoughts ideas advice will be appreciated. I'm backtracking as I have some of the work already done but i'll start by uploading the photos of when I just bought the bug in July 2009.

Cooler has been moved since and a stock filter is back in place

more to follow

cheers
irishkeet:D

See less See more
#4 ·
some more pics.....

Looks like the filter has not been changed for a long time:eek:
fuel pipes were leaking here and where they meet the pipe to the engine, I'm glad i got home in one piece after buying it:lol:

new line & filter

nice to see the bottom of the tank (like the rest of the bug) has been treated

Oil filter has been moved under the wing 9thanks carbon)
New dizzy, M7 alternator kit, coil is back where it belongs and a stock airfilter (thanks Del)

more to follow:D
irishkeet

#7 ·
Finally got around to updating and sound proofing the inside

the old carpet was dusty and faded

it was a long job getting this off:eek:

removed the old proofing from the metal too

It was good to finally start fixing the flashing

more to follow...

#9 ·
hello

I got a full carpet & underlay set from spirit of the 50s, its a close match to the original.
I was going to replace all the flooring with carpet but in the end I decided to reuse the original rubber flooring as its stock, in good nick and a good fit for the kick plates.

#15 ·
thanks misterecks
Just had the front seats professionally restuffed (I'm sure thats not the technical term:lol:) and the back seats completely recovered & stuffed and stitched to the original cover pattern, more photos of this over the weekend but for now here are a few more pics on the interior....

the carpet edging was tricky to refit, I reused the edging strips from the original carpet which the upholsterer stitched on for me:D

thanks to the patience of my other half who trimmed & fitted all the carpet in the front:hug:

#16 ·
a few more..........
Original rubber flooring back in but i do have the carpet pieces, but I think the rubber looks a lot better.

Twin 12v sockets fitted out of sight, they are motorbike ones with black waterproof caps which I thought blended with the interior.

#20 · (Edited)
Such a lovely Bug... Great job.
Makes my GT look nasty :eek: basically because it's been molested over the years.. Great to see what it could look like though..

Would you mind telling me the cost of the carpet set from Spirit of the 50's?.. don't think the prices are listed on their website and I'm pricing up all the options at the moment - cheers.

#22 ·
thanks dunc999

I was thinking the same, is this car old enough ('72) legally to have the black plates?
I ask because the plates on it are the originals but i also think black would look much better
ive also heard that speed cameras have trouble picking up black plates, anyone know if this is urban legend or true?:D

cheers
irishkeet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.