I've never bought 'new' tyres before. - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Wheels & Tyres Forum

Wheels & Tyres Forum Please discuss wheels or tyres (for all vehicles) in here.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 04:37 PM   #1
Duble agent V.W.Ford
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (0)

Default I've never bought 'new' tyres before.

But, I've just ordered two new Firestones from tyresonthedrive.com for 85.96, cheaper, I think, than the Uniroyals I was going to order a month or three ago. Just had the confirmation phone call and email from them. Oooo, I'm all excited.

http://www.tyresonthedrive.com/search/choose/

Last edited by Duble agent V.W.Ford; 07-05-2015 at 05:00 PM..
Duble agent V.W.Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:05 PM   #2
Duble agent V.W.Ford

Came today, can't fault the service or the price.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:06 PM   #3
GlenAnderson
Saddest VZi'er 2020

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (18)

The feeling of security you get from new tyres is second only to that you get from watching the needle of your fuel gauge swing all the way up when you brim the tank.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:17 PM   #4
evilC

I've never bought s/h tyres unless they were already fitted to rims either on or off a car. Mostly I have discarded part worn or aged tyres.

I buy new tyres mostly from My Tyres and mount them on my own rims, which has proved to be a very convenient and cost effective system
evilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #5
AndiHolmes
Chat Slapper

I wouldn't buy second hand tyres unless I knew their history. Apparently the vulcanisation process continues after the tyre is made, hardening the rubber over time. Some suggest that as little as six years is the reliable life of a tyre from manufacture, and they could potentially be stored at the dealers for that long?!
How many of us check the 'made date' on our tyres? For a daily driver, you'll probably wear out your rubber in just a year, no worries, but what about your fair weather only, summertime classic, how old are the tyres on that I wonder? It would certainly make me want to cry to bin good tread! I guess it's less of an issue if all you do is gentle motoring in good conditions, but I would be much more concerned about someone who drives hard in all weathers.
We keep our old tyres now for growing potatoes in, guess it's one way to get your moneys worth out of them?
AndiHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 03:19 PM   #6
evilC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiHolmes View Post
I wouldn't buy second hand tyres unless I knew their history. Apparently the vulcanisation process continues after the tyre is made, hardening the rubber over time. Some suggest that as little as six years is the reliable life of a tyre from manufacture, and they could potentially be stored at the dealers for that long?!
How many of us check the 'made date' on our tyres? For a daily driver, you'll probably wear out your rubber in just a year, no worries, but what about your fair weather only, summertime classic, how old are the tyres on that I wonder? It would certainly make me want to cry to bin good tread! I guess it's less of an issue if all you do is gentle motoring in good conditions, but I would be much more concerned about someone who drives hard in all weathers.
We keep our old tyres now for growing potatoes in, guess it's one way to get your moneys worth out of them?
I agree about buying part worn tyres. I've seen some terribly kerbed rims on which the tyres looked outwardly reasonable. When quizzed the woman driver said she regularly bumped up the kerb at home! If the rims took that damage (chunks missing) then what state the tyres?
Tyres actually last a lot longer in a cool, dry, dark environment. I have a set of 165/80x15s that were 944 spares that are looking good without cracks although they are 29 years old! (I only use them for manoeuvring) Others, notably some Kumhos were cracked and scrapped at 5 years old!!

BTW I do look at the date stamp on new tyres and my tyres invariably last 40,000mls or about 5 years when swapped with winter tyres.
evilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 11:04 PM   #7
AndiHolmes
Chat Slapper

I believe it's the UV in sunlight that accelerates the inherant deterioration process, so yes, keep your car in a dark garage most of it's life and the tyres should do much better. I imagine rubber quality is also a factor?
AndiHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread