1974 beetle recommended tyre pressures - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Wheels & Tyres Forum

Wheels & Tyres Forum Please discuss wheels or tyres (for all vehicles) in here.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 19-11-2017, 08:42 PM   #1
manabana
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Default 1974 beetle recommended tyre pressures

I have a 1974 Beetle classic, 1600cc engine.

On the front I have 185/55R15's

On the rear I have 195/65R15's

They came with the car, which was lowered and now set back to regular ride height.

I am looking for recommendations on the correct psi for these tyres on this car front and rear.

Thanks in advance.
manabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 05:59 PM   #2
pablopassat
Seasoned Chat Slut

18 psi front 26 psi rear. The tyre size does not affect the tyre pressure required
pablopassat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 08:15 PM   #3
manabana
Chat Slapper

Thank you, I will give those tyre pressures a go.
manabana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2018, 12:34 PM   #4
Beetlebank
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (1)

If you use standard tyre pressures you will experience uneven wear and sub-optimal grip. See my comments a few posts back.
Old 18-06-2018, 11:08 AM   #5
BlackCatBug
Wannabe Chat Slut

Wow!! Glad I found this thread, my 60's bug on standard 165/80's was running 30 PSI all round (had them fitted off the car at National Tyres...they obviously didn't know what they should be....) although they knew I needed fat valves...which was good

I thought there was something very wrong with my steering/steering box etc, very skittish and very light, it felt un-safe, and wandered everywhere!...But maybe the pressure was way too high, 17/18PSI seems very low, but it must be for a reason on the bugs.
Old 19-06-2018, 08:21 AM   #6
mister pp
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatBug View Post
Wow!! Glad I found this thread, my 60's bug on standard 165/80's was running 30 PSI all round (had them fitted off the car at National Tyres...they obviously didn't know what they should be....) although they knew I needed fat valves...which was good

I thought there was something very wrong with my steering/steering box etc, very skittish and very light, it felt un-safe, and wandered everywhere!...But maybe the pressure was way too high, 17/18PSI seems very low, but it must be for a reason on the bugs.
Tyre pressures generally relate to the weight over that axle. In a beetle there isnít much weight over the front axle hence the low psi
mister pp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 10:46 AM   #7
BlackCatBug
Wannabe Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister pp View Post
Tyre pressures generally relate to the weight over that axle. In a beetle there isnít much weight over the front axle hence the low psi
Right, of course makes sense, I rarely put more that £5 worth of fuel in my tank, so not heavy at all over the front - so 30PSI in the tyres, this would make the steering extremely light, coupled with the low weight....??
Old 19-06-2018, 09:03 PM   #8
Big Al
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (7)

I know those pressures are correct but I've never run mine less than 25. Just seems unsafe to me! And not much warning if you have a leak b4 you run a tyre off the rim which my sister did in her 03!
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #9
BlackCatBug
Wannabe Chat Slut

Reduced my fronts to 17PSI, and Rears are at 27PSI - My goodness what a difference! Car feels great now, front seemed disconnected completely when I was running 30PSI!!! Constant steering adjustments at speed, was scary tbh, Feel like an idiot now
Old 11-07-2018, 08:30 PM   #10
Beetlebank
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablopassat View Post
18 psi front 26 psi rear. The tyre size does not affect the tyre pressure required
Nonsense.