Electrics Cranking over a 2276 - Page 2 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 22-02-2020, 10:34 AM   #11
GARRICK.CLARK
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

autoelectricalsupplies.co.uk have good high torque starters. I use 1 on my beast of a bug
Old 22-02-2020, 11:55 AM   #12
lukej
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARRICK.CLARK View Post
autoelectricalsupplies.co.uk have good high torque starters. I use 1 on my beast of a bug
That's the one I've linked to above, did you go for the VW one or the Porsche?

Quote:
Originally Posted by '77 Westy View Post
And Powerlite 217.80 inc VAT. 1.4kW. https://www.powerlite-units.com/starters/rac423.html
Looks remarkably like the wosp. Albeit slightly cheaper! Thanks I'll do some research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
Refer to this thread from a whle back - https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=1485089

Dave.
Cheers Dave, I did see that. Little info as to what is actually reqd. though. There's a better thread over on the Cal look lounge with a little more detail and also a Finnish site has some info. Seems you cannot mill/turn down the mounting flange enough to get the right engagement. There a are a few mods to do to make it work.
lukej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 08:43 PM   #13
Zed999
Wannabe Chat Slut

What kind of cylinder pressures do you have? I have 165psi on a stock cam 2.4L and it spins pretty fast with a stock starter. For that compression I assume you have a cam with a lot more overlap in your engine? I'll see if my rev counter shows the revs while it's cranking but the speed is almost irrelevant if it starts immediately.

Last edited by Zed999; 22-02-2020 at 08:49 PM..
Zed999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-02-2020, 09:07 PM   #14
lukej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed999 View Post
What kind of cylinder pressures do you have? I have 165psi on a stock cam 2.4L and it spins pretty fast with a stock starter. For that compression I assume you have a cam with a lot more overlap in your engine? I'll see if my rev counter shows the revs while it's cranking but the speed is almost irrelevant if it starts immediately.
No idea what pressure I have, a lot.
260 0.050"
300 adv

10.2:1

Issue I'm having is the ECU doesn't realise I'm trying to start the engine I don't think as I can't hold a good enough RPM whilst cranking for long enough!
Old 23-02-2020, 09:25 AM   #15
GARRICK.CLARK
Wannabe Chat Slut

I bought the VW one.
It will spin real slow with that comp. I'd take the plugs out ,spin it over till the oil light goes out, once it does this, you can move on knowing that when it does fire, oil WILL circulate. 1 IMPORTANT thing LESS to think about.

Last edited by GARRICK.CLARK; 23-02-2020 at 09:32 AM..
GARRICK.CLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 11:32 AM   #16
lukej

I've had it cranking to give oil pressure, did that with plugs out and rockers off.

The VW one is 1kW.
The Porsche one is 2kW

Any detriment to fitting the Porsche one?
Old 23-02-2020, 12:44 PM   #17
andy198712

Trading feedback: (4)

adding jumper cables and a good battery will rule out battery,
adding a jumper cable from the engine to the negative of the battery will rule out earthing.

i recently went through this and tried all the above, in the end it was worn starter bush causing the starter to ground out internally.

i stripped and cleaned the starter and polished the contactors, new bush, new earth cable ect now it cranks well on the stock sized beetle yusa battery

i'll look through my logs and see what its cranking at
andy198712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 03:36 PM   #18
GARRICK.CLARK
Wannabe Chat Slut

You wont need to change the starter bush with 1 of those AES starters as its a direct drive .
Old 23-02-2020, 03:41 PM   #19
lukej

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy198712 View Post
adding jumper cables and a good battery will rule out battery,
adding a jumper cable from the engine to the negative of the battery will rule out earthing.

i recently went through this and tried all the above, in the end it was worn starter bush causing the starter to ground out internally.

i stripped and cleaned the starter and polished the contactors, new bush, new earth cable ect now it cranks well on the stock sized beetle yusa battery

i'll look through my logs and see what its cranking at

Cheers dude, glad you've seen this! Have you seen my post on stf or the samba? It's not happy.
Old 23-02-2020, 05:57 PM   #20
andy198712

Trading feedback: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukej View Post
Cheers dude, glad you've seen this! Have you seen my post on stf or the samba? It's not happy.
yeah buddy stf
andy198712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread