Offshore work: Trainee Geophysical Engineer, Engineering, Superintendant, all sorts! - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Jobs For The Boys (& Girls)

Jobs For The Boys (& Girls) Positions Vacant and Jobs Wanted. If you have an opening, post your job ad here. If you have lost your job or on the look out for a new job, place your CV or wanted ad here. Also, if you need a freelancer, contractor or want to commission some work, this is the place. NO TOUTING, USE YELLOW PAGES. Forum available for sponsorship

Reply Post New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
fall-apart-dave
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (2)

Default Offshore work: Trainee Geophysical Engineer, Engineering, Superintendant, all sorts!

Figured I'd stick this on here just in case anyone is looking for offshore work... The place I work is recruiting again.

There's trainee Geophysical Engineer:

You will provide a proactive and comprehensive service to effectively support the needs of the department, both on-board the vessels and at our Head Office. Based predominantly at our Head Office in Great Yarmouth for approximately the first two years of training. You will learn all aspects of the offshore role and the onshore support and management functions.

Seagoing Underwater Geophysics Engineer

What I do basically. Collecting geophysical data using sub-bottom profilers, sonar etc. as well as maintaining the geophys equipment on board.

(from the site):

We are currently recruiting seagoing engineers (Underwater Engineers) for our Geo-Engineering department to support the hydrographic and geophysical survey teams. You will be responsible for deploying, recovering, maintaining, repairing and replacing equipment and parts as required. You MUST have strong Electronics experience and/or qualifications. More info here

Offshore Source Mechanic

Maintenance of compressors and seismic guns and mechanical equipment on board.

(from the site):

We are currently looking to recruit seagoing engineers (Source Mechanics) for our Geo Engineering department. You will be responsible for operating and maintaining the seismic source and compressor packages on the company's vessels. Strong Mechanical experience and/or qualifications IS essential.More info here

Vessel Superintendant:

Reporting to the Marine Manager, the successful applicant will have overall responsibility for ensuring that company operated vessels are maintained and managed to remain fully operational condition. More info here

Survery Support Engineer:

Working for Gardline Geosurvey Limited you will work in the Positioning department as a Survey Support Engineer, working closely alongside both surveyors and engineers.More info here

Companies website is here to get an idea of what we "do":

http://www.gardlinemarinesciences.com/

I would be happy to forward any CV's directly to the HR department (just drop me a PM), or you can apply via the website. Feel free to PM me with any questions and I'll do my best to answer!

Hope this helps someone!

One had better check ones self before one subsequently wrecks one's self.
fall-apart-dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
fall-apart-dave

No takers?

Old 12-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
Roadkill443
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

the trainee bit sounds good and something i would've done but i'm in my 2nd year of a 3.5 year manufacturing engineering apprenticeship with jag/landrover guarentee the money is better with urs lol
Roadkill443 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
assmoothasfcuk
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (1)

Hey,

thanks for posting this, ive only just noticed it, and will definitely have a look at the website, and apply for a position.

Thanks,

Danny!
Old 12-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
fall-apart-dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill443 View Post
the trainee bit sounds good and something i would've done but i'm in my 2nd year of a 3.5 year manufacturing engineering apprenticeship with jag/landrover guarentee the money is better with urs lol
Well, experience is something that grads always fall down on... Why not apply for one of the engineering positions, see what happens, gets you some experience under your belt to suppliment your degree...

"I haz degree and experiencez on da boat"

sounds better than

"I haz degree..."

on a CV

Old 12-10-2009, 09:38 PM   #6
chrisvrscrx
Wannabe Chat Slut

Hi Dave, just read the description for Offshore Source Mechanic Maintenance of compressors and seismic guns and mechanical equipment on board. I think this job would be well suited to me skills and experience. I served in the RAF for 6 and a half years. Could you look at my CV and give me some feedback please?
Old 12-10-2009, 10:55 PM   #7
fall-apart-dave

YGPM

Old 12-10-2009, 11:40 PM   #8
kvwloon

Trading feedback: (0)

How much time do you spend away versus time at home? I'm guessing it's big stints away, then reasonable stints at home? Could be a good option to have 'in my back pocket' for a few months time..... 25 years in engineering, recently from superintendent to eng. manager, but in aviation.

‎'The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness'.
-J.K. Galbraith
kvwloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 11:58 AM   #9
fall-apart-dave

It all depends on you really... You are expected to do 180 days away in a year, though in truth it seems to work out more around the 200 mark for most underwater engineers. You can ask for more days if you like, and the more days you do, the more you get paid per day, it goes up in brackets, and you get your basic salary on top. But yes, my work pattern thus far has been:

4 weeks away training
6 days at home
8 weeks away
3 weeks at home
I'm now on another 8 weeks away

But I WANT the extra days because I have debts that need shifting and new outgoings that need to be catered for, so a year hitting it hard is the order of the day for me.

When I applied and got offered the job, it was actually a few months before I started working for them, because the RAF wouldn't release me when they promised and decided to arse around instead. So, if you are interested, it might be worth writing up your CV and winging it off soon and seeing what happens. They seem to be happy to wait for the "right" people than to quickly employ the wrong ones.

Last edited by fall-apart-dave; 13-10-2009 at 12:00 PM..
Old 13-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #10
fall-apart-dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvrscrx View Post
Hi Dave, just read the description for Offshore Source Mechanic Maintenance of compressors and seismic guns and mechanical equipment on board. I think this job would be well suited to me skills and experience. I served in the RAF for 6 and a half years. Could you look at my CV and give me some feedback please?
Got your CV dude, I've had a look, it's good as it is. I changed the formatting very slightly, because when I opened it it was a bit all over the place (I think it's a compatibility thing) but other than that, no changes and straight to HR dude.

Best of luck mate!

Reply Post New Thread