The VW electric car news thread. - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Chat/Discussion

Chat/Discussion Kind of like a VW club online - you can sit in our virtual pub and talk about whatever you want to. All opinions are valid, but please no insulting (other than to our intelligence,) abusive or libellous posts. Please feel free to post your opinion on any given subject, but also be aware that others have the equal right to disagree with you - and some will certainly tell you so. No 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your business, links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (please use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled "What's my car worth?" threads too (please use the 'Dude! What's My Car Worth?' forum) - and please don't use just to post links to other VW forums or websites - we are aware that other sites exist (obviously), but blatant 'plugs' (poaching) will simply be deleted.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #1
trenchfoot
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Default The VW electric car news thread.

As resident killjoy and EV bore, I feel it's my job to keep you all up to date with developments.
Personally I think EV adoption is going to happen waaaaay quicker than most predict.

VW Says the Next Generation of Combustion Cars Will Be Its Last.

Quote:
Volkswagen AG expects the era of the combustion car to fade away after it rolls out its next-generation gasoline and diesel cars beginning in 2026.

Traditional automakers are under increasing pressure from regulators to reduce carbon-dioxide emissions to combat climate change, prompting Volkswagen to pursue a radical shift to electric vehicles.

“Our colleagues are working on the last platform for vehicles that aren’t CO2 neutral,” Michael Jost, strategy chief for Volkswagen’s namesake brand, said Tuesday at an industry conference near the company’s headquarters in Wolfsburg, Germany. “We’re gradually fading out combustion engines to the absolute minimum.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ll-be-its-last

And it seems VW may be toying with the idea of an Electric beach Buggy too! Which is interesting as the closest they produced them selves was probably the K70 or that weird Australian thing who's name escapes me!

Volkswagen developing electric ID beach buggy

Quote:
Volkswagen is set to resurrect the classic Meyers Manx beach buggy as a modern-day electric car featuring key elements of its new MEB (modular electric architecture) platform as well as the electric driveline destined to power next year’s ID hatchback.

The new two-seater, currently under construction at Volkswagen’s Braunschweig-based R&D centre in Germany, is described as a modern interpretation of the original rear-engined, Beetle-based Manx buggy. It's an open-top design featuring a low-set body, a free-standing windscreen, a sturdy roll-over bar and large wheels.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:46 PM   #2
Brian Burrows
Older

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)

An electric Beach Buggy would be a cool 'Sunday' car.

I agree, I think EV adoption will happen quickly - but not without massive investment in 'infrastructure'. I can see the biggest market being 'hybrids' for a while - with less need to search out charging points etc.

Brian Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:31 PM   #3
trenchfoot
Seasoned Chat Slut

Volkswagen to bid for electric Nurburgring lap record

Quote:
Volkswagen Motorsport is planning an assault on the electric lap record at the Nürburgring with the 671bhp ID R prototype it used to win this year's Pikes Peak International Hill Climb – and data simulations suggest the machine could challenge for the outright mark.

While exact details of the planned attempt remain under wraps, Autocar has learned that Volkswagen Motorsport has booked the legendary German track for a series of exclusive tests beginning next May. The official aim will be to set a new record for electric vehicles prior to the launch of the first electric ID production model during the third quarter of 2019.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:30 PM   #4
Samage
Help! I'm trapped in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenchfoot View Post

And it seems VW may be toying with the idea of an Electric beach Buggy too! Which is interesting as the closest they produced them selves was probably the K70 or that weird Australian thing who's name escapes me!

Volkswagen developing electric ID beach buggy
The K70 was a three-box family saloon. And are you thinking of the Country Buggy for the Aussie thing?

As for EVs... personally, they'll have to tear my MX5 from my cold, dead hands before I'll settle for a glorified milk float.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:35 PM   #5
simondo
Seasoned Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Very interesting news.
I find the whole EV thing fascinating. Its such a big thing, yet I still don`t think its been fully thought out, and will be a bit made up as it goes along.
The biggest elephant in the room is fuel duty...no one seems to have a plan for the massive fall in revenue that governments (not just ours)that the respective treasuries will see.
The other main issue is, like Brian wrote, the infrastructure. The roads and streets of most countries have evolved from cart tracks, then to roads. A huge amount of the roads in this country are not really adequate for the current vehicles and amount of them. Swathes of cars are parked on the street every night, I just don`t see how these are going to have safe , secure access to charging.
Diesel and petrol contain SO much energy by volume and mass, that is easily and reasonably safe to transport, that I cannot for the foreseeable future see it being practical to eradicate its use.

If our government really care about the environment they would be doing something to reduce the amount of travelling we do, not just by car, but by train, plane and bus.
In my last two jobs most of the staff that work around me could work from home (design engineers)..probably a total of 250 people needlessly commuting..some doing 100 mile round trips , when they can just as easily work from home.
The government should be giving incentive's to encourage less needless travel...
Instead they`ll just bung another runway somewhere...
Old 07-12-2018, 12:14 AM   #6
Mr.Orange

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by simondo View Post

If our government really care about the environment they would be doing something to reduce the amount of travelling we do, not just by car, but by train, plane and bus.
In my last two jobs most of the staff that work around me could work from home (design engineers)..probably a total of 250 people needlessly commuting..some doing 100 mile round trips , when they can just as easily work from home.
The government should be giving incentive's to encourage less needless travel...
I can't work from home, but if I used a motorcycle, I could halve both the jouney time, and the fuel consumption. Unfortunately, our esteemed government has decided that it must be time consuming, and expensive to obtain a motorcycle licence, so I will continue driving the vastly inefficient and polluting car to work.
Mr.Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:20 AM   #7
thirteen-o-two
ready for the off....

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (1)

Quote:
Very interesting news.

I work loosely in transport and have worked for companies who encourage use of public transport and electric vehicles.... someone mentions 'working from home' - nah! You need to travel 26 miles up an already clogged motorway to work in here so we can work out how to make the motorway run more smoothly. You couldn't make it up 😉😆
thirteen-o-two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:55 AM   #8
simondo
Seasoned Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Orange View Post
I can't work from home, but if I used a motorcycle, I could halve both the jouney time, and the fuel consumption. Unfortunately, our esteemed government has decided that it must be time consuming, and expensive to obtain a motorcycle licence, so I will continue driving the vastly inefficient and polluting car to work.
Totally agree..I have a full bike license...got back when you only had to take a CBT and test. The whole thing is ridiculously complicated, and gets more complicated every year. If they used the Same system for car tests I would at minimum a reduction of at least 25% ..more like 50% of people taking tests.
Motorcycles are a seriously under used vehicle for congestion reduction, small ones particularly so. There's also some pretty good electric ones coming through now. Bikes are also becoming a lot safer due to technology ...abs is now standard on all bikes over 125...along with corner in abs becoming available..kit is better and cheaper than its ever been too.
Its kinda sad that the majority of people who ride Motorcycles are over 40...

Electric motorcycles are almost easier to do than electric cars, and would probably be taken up quicker than electric cars.....if only the path to a full license wasn't so damn complicated and designed to put people off motorcycling.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #9
mr slug

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (3)

I agree with tne working from home ideaology - for anyone that is self employed.

My Brother in Law works for the council, and they are so good at encouraging that 'work from home' ethic, for the sake of the environment - that they successfully expanded it to include 'work from the park', 'work from the beach' and even 'work from the pub'.
mr slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:44 AM   #10
gojira
I'm not an addict... honest!

Quote:
this, all day long. electric cars are just treating the symptoms. the problem is that we like to move around in comfort, one person per vehicle. and also we buy a lot of shit from china. and eat a lot of beef.

i find it amusing that this populist exercise in pissing in the wind (electric cars) is enough for the largest car manufacturer in the world to stop making IC engines.

Dubtopia VW Club
gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread