Volkszone Forum banner

Another Scrapyard Rescue thread - this time a 1303

57K views 364 replies 28 participants last post by  blewco 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought I'd share my new project.
Bought this 1972 1303 early last year while chasing parts for my other Beetle restoration, it was literally days away from being broken for parts, the engine had already been removed and sold, but I had to save it.
The car was decommissioned in 2015 after failing it's MOT.
I've since sorted all the mechanical issues myself, most of the suspension parts have been replaced or refurbished
I removed the gearbox cleaned and painted it and then before reinstalling it replacing all of the mounts.
This isn't going to be an extensive nut and bolt restoration, I just want to get it solid and road worthy to be used as a daily driver, but with some useful modifications, e.g disc brakes, heated front screen ,lowered front.

Wings removed

Already sourced a replacement engine from a later 1303.
I'm going to rebuild this as a mild performance 1641.

The start of this project will have to wait until the new year now though.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Yes it's relatively solid. What happened to your 1303?

subscribed.
I have two 1303's, you'll notice the difference in the interest of this thread and the one for your other bug :lol:
Do this right and hang onto it, good 03's are becoming rare.
Good luck
Thanks for replying.
I know we're possibly in the minority, but I absolutely love 1302's and 03,I personally think they are so underrated. And yes both models are becoming extremely rare.
This will be a keeper.

#5 ·
Chopped it up for scrap.
Chassis completely gone, framehorns even had rot in the underside, no framehead or inner front wings. Must have spend a good few years on grass.
Only the engine, gearbox and glass was really salvageable.
Even the seat frames had rotted away. :eek:

Your 1303 would have probably been bought new from Mill Garages in Faverdale Darlington.
My mates 1303 big beetle was bought from the same place.

#8 ·
Looks good my first car was an o3 back in 1986
hopefully getting back on my latest 03 when I’ve finished all the work my missus had planned for me
Mine however has been off the road since 1994!
Hopefully the stigma surrounding the styling of these bugs is finally turning around.
Not many left now !!

#10 ·
Looks good my first car was an o3 back in 1986
hopefully getting back on my latest 03 when I've finished all the work my missus had planned for me
Mine however has been off the road since 1994!
Hopefully the stigma surrounding the styling of these bugs is finally turning around.
Not many left now !!
Yes, it's a nice honest car, looking forward to getting it back on the road.
That's a long time your car has been off the road, have you owned it since 94? Or just recently acquired it? What plans have you got for your 03?
Yes they are becoming rare especially 1302's, it's a shame really.

There's a lot of snobbery about late bugs. Personally I prefer them, for sure they are not built so well but they also drive much better particularly 1302's & 1303's. I love to see someone rescue a late bug & invest the time & money they deserve. Good luck with your project & hopefully one day it will turn out as stunning as your other Beetle.

Phil
I totally agree, I love all Beetles early and late, but I do prefer later bugs. Thanks for the kind comments about my other Beetle, and yes hopefully this car will follow in the same footsteps.

#9 ·
There’s a lot of snobbery about late bugs. Personally I prefer them, for sure they are not built so well but they also drive much better particularly 1302’s & 1303’s. I love to see someone rescue a late bug & invest the time & money they deserve. Good luck with your project & hopefully one day it will turn out as stunning as your other Beetle.

Phil

#11 ·
Just a quick update, work hasn't started yet, but I've been busy gathering some parts.
Decided to replace both front quarters. The originals have rotted at the bottoms, and some of the wing captive nuts have sheared off. Plus they have the usual patches.
A new repro front valance is also on order.
A set of unused Day Moulding rear wings cropped up on Ebay, so those were snapped up.

When funds allow, I want to get some Wolfsburg West floor pans and Day Moulding front wings.
This will eventually be my daily driver, so want it done right.

#14 ·
I got it last month from justkampers. They were doing 20% I think it was on Black Friday. I thought about getting both and doing their 0% on over £500, but my drivers side is genuine and other than need a small patch, solid as the day it left the factory.

#16 ·
Wanted an original clock in the dashboard when the car is finished, so when I saw this early 03 clock for sale decided to buy it.

The advert said it was in good working order, but I'll hook up a 12v battery to test it.
The dash in my car is totally untouched, and in perfect condition, no cracks, no stereo fitted.
So to preserve the original dashboard and to avoid cutting it, could I fit the trim panel from a late cabriolet? That I believe had a clock fitted as standard.

#17 ·
Finding a cab panel may not be an easy task. You could do what I done. Someone had fitted a tweeter where the clock when and I had a spare clock and wanted to fit it. Use a small drill piece and drill a series of holes all the way around the cut out and cut it with a blade, file the rough edge and the clock slides in, covering up the cut out. You won't see it. Keep your original panel and buy a second had one to cut.

Just checked and Julian Robinson has a full dash for £40 or the panels for £20. www.partsemporium.co.uk

#26 ·
Should be easy enough to find a piece of replacement dash piece to cut a clock hole in then.

My mates Big Beetle has the wood dash trim.
Mine was just bog stock black plastic. I probably still have the bits lying around somewhere in my dads garage. Forgot to look at new year.

#27 · (Edited)
Been gathering some parts again.
Got a genuine rear valance cut from VZi member VWJO, which originated from California. Will get it blasted at some stage.
Had to settle for a repro front valance.
And bit the bullet and purchased late 3 point floor pans Wolfsburg West (Kaeferland) from Justkampers.
Hopefully the work will begin in a few months time.

#28 · (Edited)
VW 1303 Beetle.

Thought I'd give a quick update on the restoration of my 1303.
Since I last posted anything on here I've been gathering parts and panels in readiness for when the work commences, which will hopefully be fairly soon.
I've also been busy stripping the car interior and disassembling the replacement engine.
This will be my first complete engine rebuild, in the past I've done a top end rebuild, but never split the case.
As previously mentioned the engine is from a later 1300cc 1303.
I'm going to get the case align bored by John Maher, along with the bottom end balanced and some mild head work. I've already got 1641 b&p, Engle 110 cam, and some used parts twin 34 ict carbs and a Turbo Thomas merged stainless exhaust. I'm hoping to achieve around 70-80BHP,basically just something to keep up with modern traffic.
Here's some photo's of where I'm currently at with the engine :

Also removed the original manufacturer's tags from the front valance, as this will be replaced.

#29 · (Edited)
Before I reignite this thread, I would like to a big thank-you to a good friend who I met through VZI, Flat4fanatic who will be doing the welding on my 1303.
I'm truly honoured and grateful that he agreed to work on my car.
It's been a long time since I last posted anything and in that time, basically I've been stripping the car to a rolling shell. Here are some photos..

Old doors removed and new Mexican ones fitted.

Glass removed.

Off she goes.

Look familiar - Beetle restoration number 2.

#30 ·
Excellent look forward to reading about another 03
Spent the weekend at retro dubs pretty sure there was only one 03 there
Definitely getting rarer so I’m collecting as many parts cheap as possible :mental:
I may have a solution to clock bought yet another vdo clock at autojumbles cheap and it looks a good candidate for straight swap keeping the bezel etc looking factory
Good luck with resto
It’s the rise of the super beetle :D

#31 · (Edited)
Excellent look forward to reading about another 03
Spent the weekend at retro dubs pretty sure there was only one 03 there
Definitely getting rarer so I'm collecting as many parts cheap as possible :mental:
I may have a solution to clock bought yet another vdo clock at autojumbles cheap and it looks a good candidate for straight swap keeping the bezel etc looking factory
Good luck with resto
It's the rise of the super beetle :D
Thanks Skip*rat, can't wait to get it on the road.
Yes 02's and 03's are getting very rare, it's a shame really because they are really nice practical cars.
This car was literally days away from being broken.
Body wise the car will remain stock and painted in the original colour of Texas yellow. The suspension will be lowered and I've got most of the parts to build a hot 1600.
For the interior I've managed to get a pair of America spec high back seats, the ones with the integral head rests, will need recovering though.
Plus I found some cheap Formula Vee parts, steering wheel and gearstick and a pair of really cheap genuine late rear pop out windows.
Haven't had chance to repair my clock yet, one of the tracks has lifted from the board, would be interested in your solution though.

#34 · (Edited)
Steve has made a start on assessing what else needs doing to the car now he has it, after initial inspection sometime ago before I had started to strip the car.

The naps hat and bulkhead are shot.

Both rear cross members have been badly plated in the past and will need replacing.
Luckily though I bought a pair of genuine VW cross members a few weeks ago.

Steve has also made a start on the floorpan, passenger side removed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.