My '59 Beetle Xmas pressie! - Page 5 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 25-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #41
psimitar
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Bit of an update

Hiya all,

So whilst looking for work whilst still having to go to work?!?!?! go figure I have been making some plates for the floor pan rot and starting to tear out the wiring loom. so pics of the holes and patches i made.

Drivers foot hole

Battery tray hole

Passenger 'where your bum should be' hole

and my nice plates i made with the help of works bending press

trimming to size at present and then need to find/borrow/pilfer a welder or maybe just loads of arldite

Not much to show wiring loom wise but pulling the old/new one thro the roof should prove interesting......

My '59 Beetle Resto Part I

My '59 Beetle Resto Part II

56 Oval Resto

Last edited by psimitar; 25-03-2009 at 02:24 PM..
psimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #42
Inked Dubber
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (5)

Those panels are great, nice one
Inked Dubber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #43
misterecks
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (2)

I'm liking the look of those repair panels matey

For my next project (should there be one) I would like to find a car that I can cut out the rot and fab my own repair panels instead of cutting off whole sections of bodywork and replacing it!

I can't wait until you find a welder, this should be great

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My 69 bug resto thread
Part I
Part II
Part III
misterecks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26-03-2009, 12:08 AM   #44
psimitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inked Dubber View Post
Those panels are great, nice one
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterecks View Post
I'm liking the look of those repair panels matey

For my next project (should there be one) I would like to find a car that I can cut out the rot and fab my own repair panels instead of cutting off whole sections of bodywork and replacing it!

I can't wait until you find a welder, this should be great
Thanks guys, thought I'd best make use of the works facilities before my employment ends. Wasn't the easiest of things to get those bends in the right place esp for the driver foot plate. Downside of not using a true forming press is beating the plates flat where they need to be and not distorting the plate too much. still am very pleased with things.

and yes misterecks i can't wait till I find a welder. Once the plates are done then it's pan off to get to the rear torsion tube properly for fitting IRS brackets. Once that is done then it's rebuild time to a rolling chassis

Must admit I do like making repair parts to suit but most people haven't acquired as many tools as Moler has. I'd love to play in his garage oh yes indeedy

56 Oval Resto
Old 03-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #45
psimitar

Default Wiring Update

So, I have been busy making a new wiring loom for the front and rear of the bug. here is the front-rear loom ready to go

and the front wiring loom

Then placed them in the Bug

and back

Was an absolute bitch the pull the rear loom thro the roof. got stuck on the first go and was a cow to pull back. So they are roughly in place for now and I just need the new fusebox to wire up. Decided to modernise the electrics with some relays to take the strain off the switches. Quite pleased with it so far tho

56 Oval Resto
Old 04-04-2009, 09:37 PM   #46
misterecks

Loom is looking great matey

Pulling it through the roof sounds like a right mission, I had all on getting mine through the side of the rear quarter!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My 69 bug resto thread
Part I
Part II
Part III
Old 05-04-2009, 02:30 AM   #47
psimitar

Quote:
Loom is looking great matey

Pulling it through the roof sounds like a right mission, I had all on getting mine through the side of the rear quarter!!
Yea was a bit of a mission. Was kinda funny, in an annoying way too, as when was first pulling thro the old loom, that I'd taped the new one too, separated just as the last of the old loom came out the rear of the bug. Fortunately, the new loom was within finger reach. JUST took me nigh on 3 hours to pull it thro. 2.5 hours when it got stuck the first time and 30mins the second go.
Nevermind, just need the new modular fuse/relay box and some connectors and will have a nice modern electrical system.

Gotta admit tho that on later bugs that rear quarter bit looks like a right pain in the bum. Remember having to fiddle around with it on my 03 when was welding around there. Got pissed with it so loped it off and soldered it back together when the welding was done

56 Oval Resto

Last edited by psimitar; 05-04-2009 at 02:33 AM..
Old 18-04-2009, 09:40 AM   #48
psimitar

Default Welding to commence shortly

Hello all,

My apologies for being rather slack, slow and boring lately but I have just purchased a MiG from fleabay. Tis a CEM so should do a decent job, and it came with a mask and gloves too. Bargain!!! well for over here anyhow. works out at about 160quid.
So, within the next few weeks I shall hopefully have the gas too and then in go those plates for the floor.
Hopefully this will appeal to all those welding maniacs out there cos I've been feeling neglected as of late

Ebay pic of welder

56 Oval Resto
Old 18-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #49
misterecks

YAY!! great news, you should be flying shortly then

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My 69 bug resto thread
Part I
Part II
Part III
Old 19-04-2009, 01:33 AM   #50
psimitar

Quote:
YAY!! great news, you should be flying shortly then
Yup, just need get a gas bottle sorted and will be good to go. Course with no job yet I may have trouble getting my wife to agree on the gas but one shall try.

I do hope more peps come say hi cos it strange when not many reply to your thread. Does dull one's enthusiasm. Least I know there is one person watching appreciate it!!

56 Oval Resto
Reply Post New Thread