So I've known for about a year or more that I wanted to buy a beetle and spent many many hours trawling this website and eBay looking for the perfect project for the missus 21st Birthday.
In the end I found this one:
Originally I posted a bid for £500 but someone else won it with £600 but never collected. But the buy who beat me never came and collected so the owners gave me a second chance offer and I took it for £500.
It had previously broken down (2007) I believe, he told me smoke started to come out of the exhaust so they put it up and as happens a lot, forgot about it and the engine seized and rust took over. In an attempt to get it back on the road they did some welding to it but there is still much to do.
It was based down in Hereford, so I drove down to take a look, it was a nice and for £500, with the engine (1600 twin carb dual port) it had (even if it was seized), very much worth it. So I gave them the money, signed the log book and collected the keys.
That night I arranged for a car trailer for the local hire company and as I was working, the rents very kindly offered to pick it up for me.
And here it is:
At this point I tried to get the engine to going as I thought it, in my neivity, might just be a starter motor problem as I couldn't hear it wizzing round. But when I eventually got it wizzing and heard the pop of it pushing in to the fly wheel it still didn't turn over.
From here I couldn't do anything else. I ordered a seal so that the rear left window could be closed up for winter to stop corrosion but this didn't arrive in time for me to go back to uni so I had to leave it with a bin bag and some duct tape.
I came back around mid december but havn't been able to do anything until christmas eve where I sealed the window with a seal I got from a kind gentleman from here. I got it down off the field it was stored in and put it back end in the garage:
I then set to work, first disconnecting and labeling all the wires taken out.
Following this I emptied the oil and subsequently took out the manifolds which had the carbs attached.
This took a lot longer than I thought (well, I originally didn't think I had to take them off as in none of my Haynes manuals it told me to but they are all single carb and not twin) as I started off by trying to take off the tin wear around the engine, I, in my ignorance failed to take out the spark leads which would have given me access to the manifold nuts holding them in. Anyway. with the nuts out I disconnected the fuel lines and got them out, with the heater pipes as well:
I then disconnected the fuel line and took off the boot lid as it was getting in the way.
Afterwhich I began unscrewing the bolts holding it in (originally trying to undo the wrong bolt! - could have been disastrous).