Baja to resto cal looker - Page 7 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 05:42 PM   #61
Jackrobbo
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Thought Iíd quickly share a few photos of what Iíve been busy with. Slowly getting the body back to bare metal so that I can get it in epoxy primer. After a round or 2 with the grinder and dollies..

A couple of questions Iíve got if any one can advise me:
1) pitted metal- Iíve got some areas that are pitted but not holes Iíve blasted them but they still show some dark spots/ rough texture. How am I best treating these before primer. They are mainly on the a pillar seam and I donít think warrant a weld repair as are still solid.

2) what are people using as stone chip on the arches ? And inner wing sections?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jackrobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:35 PM   #62
lukej
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (5)

Dinitrol or there's another one that I used, can't remember the name but that will 'kill' the rust, then filler if they're bad or just high build primer if you can get away with it.
A few bits that were quite bad but awkward as hell to replace (guttering etc) dad flexed on me and lead loaded em.
As you know though... I'm no expert

For stonechip I used the upol stuff, gravitex? Surprised you're not going for Raptor though.
lukej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:35 PM   #63
Jackrobbo
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukej View Post
Dinitrol or there's another one that I used, can't remember the name but that will 'kill' the rust, then filler if they're bad or just high build primer if you can get away with it.
A few bits that were quite bad but awkward as hell to replace (guttering etc) dad flexed on me and lead loaded em.
As you know though... I'm no expert

For stonechip I used the upol stuff, gravitex? Surprised you're not going for Raptor though.

You know me anything that stands still long enough gets a coat of raptor. I was just a tad concerned it may be too ďhardĒ for the arches wouldnít want it chipping off. Also you can get a tintable one, but the one I have atm is black and I was hoping to have everything body colour... which I donít know what colour that is yet lol. Upol are generally mint though so that should be good. Im going to be honest luke I think the pair of us need to learn to lead..

Old 06-12-2020, 10:19 PM   #64
lukej
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (5)

It's another skill I won't ever use near enough to be good at... Like TIG...

Mine is all body coloured upol. I hadn't head of raptor when I did mine. Like you say though, it's kinda like powder coating in the way it chips off. I'm not overly impressed but that could just be because mine wasn't applied properly... Idk.
lukej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 02:27 PM   #65
Jackrobbo
Chat Slapper

Made a little repair piece to get rid of the tatty patch repairs made to the lower edges of the bulkhead. I assume they were done like this as the body was on when repaired.

I also made a small fillet to repair the rotten out section on the inside of the heater channel.

All properly solid at the front now Boot floor next and passenger quarter next.. the more I seem to repair the more I seem find my self wanting to do. At least its good fun lol.

Old 23-01-2021, 07:53 PM   #66
Jackrobbo
Chat Slapper

So it’s been over a month since my last reply. I’ve now got a solid shell.

So that’s the parcel shelf floor made solid and the passenger rear quarter replaced. I’ve then started to reassemble the car to make sure everything fits shuts opens and locks as it should and to get the panel gaps straight. Before it’s getting a good coating of epoxy primer. Then filler work then a big disassemble before more primer and then paint...

Here’s a few pictures of what I’ve been upto.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	631C4B7F-3483-4513-9136-8658D543D758_1611427858520.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	286727   Click image for larger version

Name:	9BE17023-9D88-421B-8152-4E8E74271126_1611427895526.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	286729   Click image for larger version

Name:	A051D7AE-4B92-4A2E-8A16-C51CFFD7CA9A_1611427952068.jpg
Views:	9