id like to learn to weld. (devon, cornwall) - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Jobs For The Boys (& Girls)

Jobs For The Boys (& Girls) Positions Vacant and Jobs Wanted. If you have an opening, post your job ad here. If you have lost your job or on the look out for a new job, place your CV or wanted ad here. Also, if you need a freelancer, contractor or want to commission some work, this is the place. NO TOUTING, USE YELLOW PAGES. Forum available for sponsorship

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 30-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
devonduboy
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (4)

Default id like to learn to weld. (devon, cornwall)

hi, basically i thought i would ask if anyone out there wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction in learning to weld?

i have got a 130 mig and have used it a fair bit but can't get consistent penetration and am not happy with the way my welds are going and think i need a helping hand from someone who knows what they are doing.

obviously would pay.

id like to learn mig welding in general but any other types of welding could be good too but not essential.
i am learning for panel replacement (thin metals)

i have a barn in cornwall (near bodmin) where my beetle lives which we could use or a house in cullompton devon. or i could come to yours.

just thought i would see if anyone could help me out?

cheers
jon
Old 01-10-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
Till
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (3)

Unfotunately i live in Kent so won't be able to come down and help but when i left school i started at a local garage and my boss offered to teach me a bit of mig welding. He gave me a bit of sheet metal and just told me to learn to write my name in weld, this gives you hand control and trains your eye look at what you're welding. Start with a low setting first so the weld sits proud on the metal then turn up the power up in stages to get the weld flatter, ie more penetration.
Use 0.6mm wire as 0.8 is too thick for thin steel and get a gas set up not that gasless wire,although some people can do quite nice welds with it i've never been able to.
Where ever possible support your torch with your spare hand to stop you wobbling about and try to push the weld rather than pull (although pushing is not always possible)
As with most jobs preperation is the key, so spend that little bit extra time cleaning the job before you start.

This is just how i started welding and is just the basics,other people will have other tips and it's just a case of pratice makes perfect and finding what works for you.

Have fun,Ade
Till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
devonduboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Till View Post
Unfotunately i live in Kent so won't be able to come down and help but when i left school i started at a local garage and my boss offered to teach me a bit of mig welding. He gave me a bit of sheet metal and just told me to learn to write my name in weld, this gives you hand control and trains your eye look at what you're welding. Start with a low setting first so the weld sits proud on the metal then turn up the power up in stages to get the weld flatter, ie more penetration.
Use 0.6mm wire as 0.8 is too thick for thin steel and get a gas set up not that gasless wire,although some people can do quite nice welds with it i've never been able to.
Where ever possible support your torch with your spare hand to stop you wobbling about and try to push the weld rather than pull (although pushing is not always possible)
As with most jobs preperation is the key, so spend that little bit extra time cleaning the job before you start.

This is just how i started welding and is just the basics,other people will have other tips and it's just a case of pratice makes perfect and finding what works for you.

Have fun,Ade
thanks for the reply
very helpfull, what im finding most difficult is getting the right balance of wire feed and power.

it seems to either sit on the top or burn a hole right through, which leads me to think its probably my technique (timing, distance from metal etc.)
i know it is probably practice makes perfect, but i reckon if i can find someone to give me a hand and tell me where im going wrong it would help no end.

thanks again
jon

Old 02-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
Hermann
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Are you aware of this place ......

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

Not the same as having someone there but very informative ....
Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
+CountVladdy+

Trading feedback: (10)

Basically what Till has been saying dude. Just come back from my friends house where I've been welding his Bay window all day.
I taught myself to weld back in 1996 at the age of 19 when I first started restoring one of my bugs. Correct preparation is certainly one of the keys if the dreaded "spatter" is to be avoided.
Typical that I'm in the NW now as I would help you out for free if you were close.
There are quite few variables with it such as wire speed, angle at which you hold the torch, distance of wire tip from surface to be welded, ampage setting , speed at which you weld.
Is there a local club you can join as there would very likely be someone close that could help.
Good luck

Dan
+CountVladdy+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
kafer-k
Wannabe Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by +CountVladdy+ View Post
Is there a local club you can join as there would very likely be someone close that could help.
Good luck

Dan
Hi Jon,

I'm in Butterleigh just round the corner from you and I've recently got a welder. I haven't been brave enough to give it a go just yet so will be needing to learn. I'm part of the Exeter Aircooled Club which have a forum and a monthly meet (next one on the 10th), it might be that we could get one of the other members to give us both a lesson?

Chris (and Tina)
kafer-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
devonduboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafer-k View Post
Hi Jon,

I'm in Butterleigh just round the corner from you and I've recently got a welder. I haven't been brave enough to give it a go just yet so will be needing to learn. I'm part of the Exeter Aircooled Club which have a forum and a monthly meet (next one on the 10th), it might be that we could get one of the other members to give us both a lesson?

Chris (and Tina)
hi chris (and tina)

yes im a member of exeter aircooled too (duboy)
not been brave enough to turn up to a meet yet though.
maybe i will on the 10th.
yes i cycle through butterleigh quite a bit and like stopping in the old inn
would be good to have a lesson with someone who knows what they are doing also be good to meet some more local dubbers.

do you have a project then or just thinking of getting one?

maybe ill stick up a thread on exeter aircooled forum unless you know of anyone inperticular.
i have only really met a few of them but would be good to meet more.

cheers
jon
Old 03-10-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
kafer-k
Wannabe Chat Slut

We have a bug and a bay (see links in sig) and use the same username on the EAC forum. I didn't have anyone in mind from the club but we could stick something up on there and see who bites like you said. I've just realised we might not make the meet next Sunday as we'll probably be at Oktoberfest. If you fancy hooking up one evening for a quiet one at the Inn though drop us a pm otherwise come to the Nov meet perhaps

Chris
kafer-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #9
fruitcakes23
Chat Slapper

Hi there, maybe able to help, do you ever get down to torbay ?
fruitcakes23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
torpointboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonduboy View Post

i have a barn in cornwall (near bodmin)

Jon, Whereabouts mate, I know a few guys who might want to share storage, all vw lads, as there is a major shortage in the Saltash Area, or perhaps you know of something up that way going for rent

Steve -South East Cornwall dubs and custom Club

Dove si urli, non c' vera conoscenza".
torpointboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread