id like to learn to weld. (devon, cornwall) - Page 2 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Jobs For The Boys (& Girls)

Jobs For The Boys (& Girls) Positions Vacant and Jobs Wanted. If you have an opening, post your job ad here. If you have lost your job or on the look out for a new job, place your CV or wanted ad here. Also, if you need a freelancer, contractor or want to commission some work, this is the place. NO TOUTING, USE YELLOW PAGES. Forum available for sponsorship

Reply Post New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #11
devonduboy
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitcakes23 View Post
Hi there, maybe able to help, do you ever get down to torbay ?
i could get down to torbay yes.

i will pm you in a moment.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #12
devonduboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpointboy View Post
Jon, Whereabouts mate, I know a few guys who might want to share storage, all vw lads, as there is a major shortage in the Saltash Area, or perhaps you know of something up that way going for rent

Steve -South East Cornwall dubs and custom Club
hi steve

its in the bodmin area, i wouldn't really like to have anyone else's cars in there if im completely honest, its not in the sturdiest shape and not having insurance for other cars etc...
its not a huge barn, its an old piggery that has been raised a bit and we (me and my girlfriend) are currently renovating it for a workshop.
besides that we hope to fill it up with old cars ourselves

im sure i saw you guys (secc) at plymfest this year.
some cool cars

will keep an eye out for anything that might come up.

cheers
jon
Old 04-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #13
torpointboy

Trading feedback: (0)

Cheers Jon, No probs....If you dont ask you dont get, Anything around Saltash, Liskeard, Dobwalls way would be cool, Im currently working overseas at the moment and have a Split I need housing, Anything you hear of mate drop us a line

Cheers

Dove si urli, non c' vera conoscenza".
torpointboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #14
devonduboy

Quote:
Cheers Jon, No probs....If you dont ask you dont get, Anything around Saltash, Liskeard, Dobwalls way would be cool, Im currently working overseas at the moment and have a Split I need housing, Anything you hear of mate drop us a line

Cheers
will do.

out of interest (im guessing you have been looking into it)

how much would you be paying per month to store you split?
in a clean, dry, locked, safe place for example?

just wondering as its something i have been thinking about maybe doing in the future in somewhere far more "proper".

cheers
jon
Old 04-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #15
torpointboy

Well, Me and a couple of lads from the club are looking for somewhere we can store quite a few vw's, One lad has 6 bays, A split and two T4's, One has A split and a bay, and one has 6 beetles, now im not looking for housing for all of them but but if we got somewhere for 60 quid each and say there were 5 of us

We could get a few inside.

Looking down anywhere north of Liskeard or Looe and as far as the Tamar Bridge

Old 09-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #16
devonduboy

still looking if someone might be able to help?

cheers
jon
Old 09-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #17
torpointboy

Always looking, Trying the old google search for 'barns for rent in cornwall'......You just get yuppie converted barns for sale in Padstein come up

Oh well.....Keep looking

Old 09-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #18
devonduboy

Quote:
Always looking, Trying the old google search for 'barns for rent in cornwall'......You just get yuppie converted barns for sale in Padstein come up

Oh well.....Keep looking
sorry mate, i meant im still looking for someonewho might be able to help me with my welding problem...

but i will keep an eye out for you chap
Old 09-10-2010, 11:40 PM   #19
fruitcakes23
Chat Slapper

Hi there, did you receive my pm?
fruitcakes23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:23 PM   #20
redoxide
Chat Slapper

Hi, back to your welding question, I see your welder is a 130, my guess is that it will be a hobby machine? If so is it fair to say that the current and wire speed adjustments are limited with rocker switches? Next my guess is you could be using CO2 as a shielding gas?

If thats the case your welding will be greatly improved with better quality gear with a greater range of current and wire speed control.

Ditch the CO2, its not the best for shielding, your better to commit to an account with a gas supplier and go for Argoshield ( BOC ) or Cougar ( air products) which are a CO2/Argon mix.

With the corect settings and the proper gas and some practice, your welding will be more consistent.

I would also agree with what wa said in a earlier post re the wire size, 0.6 wire is all you will need for panel work, 0.8 is way to thick,

Keep the gas cup close to the job to ensure that the gas does its job of sheilding the weld area, if the wire is pushing you off the job, slow the wire speed down.

Ensure that both sides of the material are cleaned and the job is propely earthed.

what m going to say next might be a bit contravercial, where mig has its place for attaching metal to metal, where it comes to bodywork O/A is much better. People seem to think that oxy acetalene causes distortion which is had to fix. Its not true for the best prt. Any welding process will cause heat in the weld area which will shrink the material along the heat affected zone. This is where it gets interesting.
If you butt weld panels together with MIG you will have to grind the weld flush, a couple of things are happenig here,
1/ your adding material in the form of weld wire to create heat and weld area.
2/ you have to grind the weld area and in doing so create more heat

The hardness of mig weld doesnt allow you to sort the shrunk area by stretching with a hammer and dolly, hence why most mig welded repairs are plastered with body filler.

O/A on the other hand doesnt require the additio of filler wire if done properly, the panels can easily be but welded edge to edge with no filler wire and therefore no aditional material is aded to the weld area.

Once the weld is complete the heat affected area can be lightly hamered and dollied to re strretch the weld area bringing it back to normal, in the process the weld bead will also be plannished out requiring no griding, so your left with a panel that needs very little final prep.

dont use overlap joints or joggled edges thats bad practice for a number of reasons . get out of the habit as soon as you can.

hope that helps, could go on but need to dash off to work ... cheers for now ..
redoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread