1956 RHD Swedish 23 window samba full restoration - Page 2 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 09:52 AM   #11
benjyhas
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (0)

Last edited by benjyhas; 06-02-2020 at 09:56 AM..
benjyhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:55 AM   #12
benjyhas

All good, mate. Looks like your business is doing ridiculously well. I take it the old turbo'd bug is long gone? I've just been having a gander at your website. You boys aren't messing around are you. Who says that you can't take the body off a van?!!

I've still got my bug. I actually have 2.5 bugs these days, so my driveway is looking ridiculous and my neighbours hate me of course

Last edited by benjyhas; 06-02-2020 at 10:03 AM..
Old 06-02-2020, 12:27 PM   #13
Mabbo

Trading feedback: (2)

Good news Yea work is good mate thanks. Been hard work to get to this point though.

I sold my 68. I was running a 2276 with IDAs and Magneto before I sold it (There are pics on the website) but there were a couple of bits of the metalwork I wasnt 100% happy with. I wish Id have put full rear quarters on it but at the time I didnt have the money, and that was while they were available and not overpriced. If I was going to keep it, Id have restored it again which seemed a bit stupid, just because I was being anal about nothing really. So I sold the car with a 1600, sold the 2276 and put the money towards my oval. I wanted a stock car because I drove the 2265 like a 1200 anyway really and missed being able to just get in and drive anywhere without getting a headache lol.

Good to see you still got your Beetle. Still looks nice Made many changes to it? Whats the other one you have now?

And... Whose is that slingshot????
Mabbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2020, 03:55 PM   #14
Mabbo

The corner of the dash and window frame was rotten so I made a small repair panel and welded that in:

The none factory holes were then welded up:

I wanted to replicate the original body number in the new bulkhead panel, so I marked up where it should sit and stamped them back in place:

Not too sure what this number is for, but thought Id replicate it at the same time as fitting the new seat back stop:

Old 08-02-2020, 03:56 PM   #15
Mabbo

Once we had the windscreen repair panel pinned in the right place on the nose, we spot welded it in place:

The back of the dash / inner framework, and inside of the front panel and front valance were epoxy primed and painted body colour before being welded together:

Then we spot welded around the window frames and down the A posts:

Will get the welding on the front panel finished on Monday then that will be it for a while.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:25 PM   #16
benjyhas

Blows my mind....

a) The quality of what you are getting done on this van

b) Not more people are commenting on it

Seriously, this is impressive stuff. Hope the owner knows how lucky they are to be having it rebuilt to this standard. Having said that, have they had their January invoice yet?!
Old 09-02-2020, 03:28 PM   #17
cox71slammed
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjyhas View Post
Blows my mind....

a) The quality of what you are getting done on this van

b) Not more people are commenting on it

Seriously, this is impressive stuff. Hope the owner knows how lucky they are to be having it rebuilt to this standard. Having said that, have they had their January invoice yet?!
Iím with you on this one. The standard of mamboís work is right up there with the best. His Beetle was stunning too. Iím not sure but Iím starting to believe this forum is on the way out ☹️ which is a real shame.

Phil
cox71slammed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:55 PM   #18
Mabbo

Thanks very much guys

The guy who owns the van has been great

And... I agree with you Phil. VZi is nowhere near as good / busy as it used to be. I used to be on here all the time but not so much now. Used to love the readers rides but it aint as good as it used to be. Probably because of Facebook etc? I tend to use Instagram now - loads of nice stuff on there.

Cheers
Old 09-02-2020, 06:58 PM   #19
Seasoned Chat Slut

Wow Mabbo, Insane work, these bus restos are getting more involved and way better than ever, keep us updated on your good work
Old 09-02-2020, 07:35 PM   #20
cox71slammed
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabbo View Post
Thanks very much guys

The guy who owns the van has been great

And... I agree with you Phil. VZi is nowhere near as good / busy as it used to be. I used to be on here all the time but not so much now. Used to love the readers rides but it aint as good as it used to be. Probably because of Facebook etc? I tend to use Instagram now - loads of nice stuff on there.

Phil

Cheers
I think we have answered our own question. I use instagram more these days but have also persisted with VZi I’m beginning to feel that I’m wasting my time putting up stuff about my beetle build on here. When I first joined VZi 13 years ago it was really busy but now it’s the polar opposite. Keep the pictures coming mabbo as I’d love to see the progress on this bus.

Phil

Last edited by cox71slammed; 09-02-2020 at 07:40 PM..
cox71slammed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread