Whilst I wait for my rocker stands to be machined I've moved onto dialing in the camshaft.
Having established an accurate TDC the goal is to confirm both inlet and exhaust open/close times match the cam card and subsequently the timing position is good.
An acceptable tolerance for a street engine is +- 1 degree off spec.
For fine tuning you can machine the cam wheel with slots so that it can be turned to adjust the timing position and there are also aftermarket wheels with eccentric bolts that achieve the same results.
My first issue is that the wbx engine has a different style of pulley wheel than a T1, so an off the shelf degree pulley wheel is not an option.
I located a printable degree template off the late and great Bob Hoover's blog page.
Not being sure of the required size I printed 3 options.
I also marked them up with the cam inlet/exhaust specs for checking.
Modified another cd so that I can fine tune the position once TDC has been established.
To establish TDC I fitted up number 1 piston and used a dial gauge through the spark plug hole.
For a precise position I measured 10' BTDC and marked on the pulley wheel and then 10' ATDC with another mark.
The center of the two marks is TDC which happily corresponds with the oem mark.
Accurate measuring is critical for this as the margins are less than 1 degree for a well dialed in cam, so I used one of my solid lifters on the cam and secured the gauge tightly on the case.
My dial gauge was original purchased to set a diesel fuel pump timing and came with a handy extension to the reading tip.
This has proved invaluable for this test and simplified the whole process as you would normally be forced to read the lift off the rocker or even the valve retainer.
The results don't look good
I retested 3 or 4 times but came to the same results, so it appears I have an issue with the camshaft.
The exhaust is pretty close and could be down to measuring inaccuracies but the inlet is way off the closing spec.
Gonna need to consult with JC on this one.
And it was all going so well.....