Having much time on my hands I turned my attention to port work again, specifically the inlet manifolds.
Although the previous clean up process was fine I figure why not eak every last drop of HP I can.
Using a method I found online I took a metal bar, drilled a slot in one end and then used sanding paper rolled up.
This allows you to smooth out the casting marks and keep the port round. Add more sanding paper for the wider areas and reduce as you reach the narrow points.
One issue with WBX engines is the head ports are rectangular so it took some time to smooth out the transition.
All told it took more than 20 hours to get to the point where I was happy.
The other issue with these manifolds is that the head mounting holes are too large meaning the whole thing moves around on the head studs.
This is a serious problem if you are fine tuning the port work ensuring a precision transition from the manifold, through the gasket and into the head.
IIRC aircooled heads have a dowel pin used for centering but VW dropped this with the wbx engine and used sleeved manifold bolts to ensure a correct fit.
I considered retro fitting a dowel pin but gave up when I realised the work involved.
To solve this problem I bought some suitable sized bronze bushes usually used as bearings.
I drilled out the existing holes on the manifolds in mm increments and pressed them in.
I used a washer the same thickness as the gasket to leave them a little proud to also seat the gasket in the correct position.
When torqued up to the head they will press back into the manifold as the gasket gets crushed.
After a little poor mans reaming they where a tight fit on the head.
Here is the matched gasket positioned with bushes to confirm a good transition.
Now I could confirm the required work still needed on the manifolds.
The finished product, but note how little meat there is to seal, which is a cause for concern.
I may have to get them welded if they suffer from air leaks but for now I can finally put them aside.
I am also revisiting the wbx oil system whilst the case is apart and also at the machine shop.
Now that I am going to be using T1 style lifters I will be losing the hydro lifters wide oiling groove and subsequently oil flow will be greatly reduced.
This is a problem that all performance T1 engine suffer from and why Bob Hoover's oiling mods are so important.
That said, my issue is ensuring good oil flow through the drive train at high revs and not providing oil for cooling purposes.
Regardless, the plan is to drill a new oil feed to the lifters and also machine slots into the lifter bushes allowing uninterrupted oil flow.
This I feel is sensible as a precaution with the modifications being made.
I've probably posted this link already but worth a read if you want to learn more.
Most other work has been prepping the beetle for use again having sat for so long.
This weekend I will be fitting an uprated front anti roll bar and also a camber compensator at the rear in an attempt to reduce the tail happy rear end
When the case eventually re-appears I will update again, but it won't been soon....