Project performance WBX build - Page 6 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > CLUB FORUMS > Alternate Engine

Alternate Engine Got a Scooby motor in the back of your dub? Or a V8? Alfa? You know a Porsche motor drops straight in - right? This is the forum for you. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #51
Malakadan
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

Excellent!

I look forward to seeing the updates.

My build thread: https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthr...=1#post8160802
Malakadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 10:28 PM   #52
iain ambrose
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (2)

Well i'm back with news, mostly bad.

The case is finally back and on initial inspection looked good to go, but whilst giving it a quick clean I noticed a fundamental flaw in these new bush fittings.

Only one feed hole
So now in addition to removing the gallery plugs for cleaning I need to run a long drill bit through.
Anyone who has drilled bronze will tell you how bloody hard it is plus the other bonus will be burrs on all the honed surfaces to somehow safely clean up.

Ok, first cleaned off sharp edges left from the bore drilling.

Getting the gallery plugs out was pretty straight forward.
Drill a pilot hole then using a self taping screw with a couple of spacer washers and they popped right out.

A quick drill bit check and it's currently a 7mm bore which I believe is larger than a T1 engine (6mm ?).
I was able to drill through to the second bore using a basic bit but have ordered a suitable length one for the remaining two on each side.
At this point the HVR mods where back on the agenda.
One thing I had not already noticed is the much deeper oil channels on the center cam bearing compared to a T1 engine.
This will obviously flow more oil over to the other case half so VW had already spotted this one.
I guess it remains a risk of breaking out of the case but if I do go for it at least it's an aluminum case and can be welded....

Last edited by iain ambrose; 11-03-2018 at 10:04 PM..
iain ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 11:54 PM   #53
iain ambrose

Moving on to the new tappet/bore oiling system.
Although these lifters are super quality it's Achilles heel is the oil groove width.
At 4.8mm it's less than half the size of a stock hydro unit so it's critical how it aligns to the oil gallery hole throughout it's travel.
Ideal world is 100% unrestricted oil flow regardless of tappet position but that won't be possible.
I have no idea if the case oil gallery is the same position as on a T1 engine so I need to check anyway.

First popped in the cam to get some max/min lift positions in relation to the lifter bore deck height.

Next bad news coming.

FFS, i can barely squeeze a 0.7mm gauge in there, in fact it's 0.5mm.
This is half the clearance I need so the bore depths are all wrong and need re-cutting.

Ok, moving on, placed a drill bit in the bore and checked the bore depth from the top.

Now the depth of the lifter to the oil groove.

This was actually 22.7mm rounded up upon rechecking.

Put my hot ms paint skills to some good use and we have....

Did some quick maths...

13.5 - 18.3mm oil groove range at minimum lift
22.2 - 27.0mm oil groove range at maximum lift
22.9 - 29.9mm active oil feed range

9.0mm total lifter range
4.1mm total active oil feed range

Oil feed range 45% of lifter range.

So, you read this far then?
Here's the kicker.

I never actually saw these bush inserts, only the T1 style ones.
I've just noticed a recess behind one of the oil feed holes and it's just dawned on me.
There's an oil groove around the outside of the bronze bush that allows oil to pass from lifter to lifter with only one feed hole necessary, in fact it can be positioned anywhere around the bore.
All the ones I have seen have the oil groove cut inside the bore so I did not even consider this!

Ok, good news.
I have a 100% active oil feed to all the lifter bores plus an extra hole to improve oil feed to the drive train.

I have just ordered a bush bore tool from Gene Berg direct and will sort the bore deck heights.

Who say's building engines isn't fun?

Last edited by iain ambrose; 11-03-2018 at 10:10 PM..

Old 20-11-2016, 11:32 PM   #54
iain ambrose

An update of this weekends progress.
First job was to deal with the burrs caused by drilling the oil holes.
I use the same method as I did with the manifolds, 400 grit until the lifter would pass smoothly.

I was at this point I discovered I have 2 sizes of lifter, well 4 of each to be exact.
4 Lifters dropped nicely into all 8 bores with no issues but the remaining 4 all snagged at the bottom of their travel.
If you forced them quickly in they would seat fine but anything less any they would seize in the bore
We are only talking fractions of a mm due to the tight tolerance fit but I was not happy with this at all.
I decided to lightly spray each lifter and fit so I could see where it was actually catching and it appeared to be the bottom 5mm's or so.
Using some course grit I carefully ground down the bottom parts until each lifter moved freely in the bore.
I then went to a finer grit to match the original finish.
This took 3 hours but I now have all 8 lifters running smoothly with no play.

Last edited by iain ambrose; 11-03-2018 at 10:12 PM..
Old 29-11-2016, 06:33 PM   #55
Rogbik
Wannabe Chat Slut

Great thread, you have a lot more patience (and knowledge) than I have, hope you don't suffer too many more hangups.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #56
iain ambrose

I've learned a great deal during this build and still have much to learn.
I now understand why high hp VW engines cost so much when built by the pro's.
Certainly this will be my one and only build of this type as it's been such a difficult process.
I've ordered taps, drills and aluminum plugs for use in the oil galleries.
I've also ordered 4 replacement lifters that are hopefully an exact match for the 4 good ones I have as i'm unhappy with the 4 I "modified" to fit.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:24 PM   #57
iain ambrose

Well, decided to redo the lifter bushings.
I just could not get a clearance I was happy with.
I could not get replacement olite inserts but was able to get aluminum in the same style.
I also purchased 4 replacement lifters direct from Thorsten who provided to an exact size.
The bushes had a very small oil feed hole as it's designed to work with 912 lifters.
There is an oil groove machined around the outside to allow free oil flow from bore to bore and another groove on the inside to lubricate and provide oil to the lifter and valve train.
This inner groove would be lost so I drilled the oil feed holes to 7mm.

I enlisted a local firm http://www.thurstonengineering.co.uk/
It was expensive but I have the case back all done and cleaned so I happy.

Each lifter has been matched to it's respective bore as I have two different sizes of lifter now.

I still have one lifter that has a slight tight spot when you rotate and that is a sure sign of ovality
That said, it should rotate freely once the case warms and clearances increase.
I also had all the bore decks reduced by 1.5mm to give me room for a web 8c cam in the future.

At this point I will be cleaning out all the oil galleries to ensure no stray shavings cause any issues and then on with the re-re-rebuild.

Last edited by iain ambrose; 11-03-2018 at 10:13 PM..
Old 14-01-2017, 06:47 PM   #58
iain ambrose

Pre build commences.

The machine shop did an excellent job of cleaning the case but rule number 1 is check.

Everything you need for a dirty evening
Gallery brushes, cotton buds, kitchen roll, gloves, brake clean and also compressed air in can for when you don't have a compressor in your living room.
Brake clean and compressed air did a great job on the lifter oil ways.

Drilling and tapping the galleries prior to the machine work is sensible as it means no more shavings floating about.
I'm using aluminum gallery plugs as they should be leak free along with some locktight to ensure they don't come loose.

One issue I ran into is not being able to drill and tap very deeply, especially on the main gallery feed, due to the risk of blocking something.
Perhaps I was too cautious on the lifter galleries but provided they don't leak it should be fine despite not threading all the way in.

I'm considering using some JB weld as some added security.

Interesting feature of the wbx case is the center cam oil feed that goes right through and is where the low pressure sender fits.

Moving on the bearing galleries which are critical to get clean.
Junk in here and it's adios to the main and big end bearings.
The main gallery feed runs the case length with an adapter fitting at the front where the secondary oil pressure gauge fits.
Handy for me is that I can run a brush all the way through once all the smaller feeds are clean.

This is the only place I found metal shavings so after any machine work it's imperative to remove all gallery plugs and clean.

Finally the aftermath of 2 hours of cleaning, Mr Sweeney would be proud.

Last edited by iain ambrose; 11-03-2018 at 10:19 PM..
Old 14-01-2017, 07:05 PM   #59
iain ambrose

With the cleaning done it's time to refit all the case studs removed for machining access.

For some unknown reason VW used two stud lengths to hold the case halves together.
Unfortunately one was damaged and bent during removal.

But like any self respecting hoarder I keep a loft full of spares including the original 1.9 case from the first bug conversion back in the 90's

Stud popped right out followed by that unique smell of burnt 30 year old oil.

I figured now would be the right time to check if the studs where fitted properly rather than mid build.

Next up are the camshaft end studs which again are two different lengths, but with the case together it's easy to get the positions correct.

So, finally the case is ready for building.
I will check the cam clearance again and also the swipe on the lifter heads.
The rocker geometry can wait until the case and heads are all together.

Last edited by iain ambrose; 11-03-2018 at 10:25 PM..
Old 15-01-2017, 06:00 PM   #60
al_kaholik
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (23)

Looking Good Iain. Getting in the loft to work is at least a little better at this time of the year than in the summer.

Effort is going to be worth it in the end.

Wasserboxer conversion

'77 Jap import FI and Aircon
al_kaholik is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread