Type 4 conversion - Page 2 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > CLUB FORUMS > Alternate Engine

Alternate Engine Got a Scooby motor in the back of your dub? Or a V8? Alfa? You know a Porsche motor drops straight in - right? This is the forum for you. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #11
wedgedout

Trading feedback: (0)

upright cooling conversion's aren't as much of a ballache or expense as people make out.

You can buy shrouds and a genny stand from UK and European suppliers that'll allow you to use a 36hp shroud, and provided you run a 215mm or 200mm flywheel you'll pretty much bolt into a modern swing axel or IRS box.

you can convert the earlier boxes to accept the more modern clutch too.

I know when I first looked at putting a Type IV in my bug, Lee at LA Performance was developing some shrouds that used T1 style cooling; and it was cheap too.

I've seen a car at the RNJ Motorsport Workshops that used modified TypeIV and Type 1 Tin too, based on the Cali Conversion; he said he can offer this service.

You'll also need to swap the crank end fan for a T1 style bottom pulley, again, not really a hardship.

If you're looking at sticking the engine in a saloon or a split, you might also want to review the exhaust.

RNJ Motorsport fabricates a 4-1 system that seems to work really well, Stateside Tuning can also supply exhausts. If you want stainless, Lee at LA Performace offers some systems to do this, as does Turbo Thomas.

But if you're putting the engine into the back of an open rear Baja or Buggy, you'll probably manage OK with the pancake style cooling and a cage around the rear of the engine.

You might want to run an intermediate mount, cradle the front of the gearbox and look into engine support too.

Even with a stock TypeIV you'll get adequate performance, but like all VW engines they're heavily undercarb'd from the factory, so look into some bigger carbs (or FI, if you're feeling flush) and a decent exhaust system to really take advantage of the engine.
wedgedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
69vanagonman

Hey Jinx, What do you offer to get a Type 4 into my Splitty.
69vanagonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 10:12 PM   #13
Jinx
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (11)

advice only im afraid!
follow this - should get you there
https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=503904

Old 05-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #14
splitty64
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69vanagonman View Post
Great info. Thinking of putting a Type 4 in a Splitty.
Take a look at my thread listed below, Full 2276 in a splitty

Check my split! :incheek:
splitty64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #15
althesparky
Seasoned Chat Slut

i,m running a type 4 in my 59 split, tried using the stock cooling but as someone said the gap between the fan and engine is tiny and they just cook, as i,d already built my engine i did not want to strip it again to have the cases machined for the porsche conversion and after some more reading went down the jake raby dtm cooling which uses the stock type 1 alternator and fan and i must say i am more than happy with it, even on a long run on a hot day it never goes above 100 degs on the oil..... from what i have read, porsche look better, dtm cool better

63 bug 1641cc ;)
59 panel van 1.9 tdi 1z (now with power steering and cruise control)
87 caddy with 1.9 tdi 1z with cruise control

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Alt...41643069280155
althesparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 08:43 AM   #16
spoonman
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by althesparky View Post
i,m running a type 4 in my 59 split, tried using the stock cooling but as someone said the gap between the fan and engine is tiny and they just cook, as i,d already built my engine i did not want to strip it again to have the cases machined for the porsche conversion and after some more reading went down the jake raby dtm cooling which uses the stock type 1 alternator and fan and i must say i am more than happy with it, even on a long run on a hot day it never goes above 100 degs on the oil..... from what i have read, porsche look better, dtm cool better
have you got a picture of your engine
Speak the rhythm all alone, spoonman
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #17
69vanagonman

I also found this:

http://www.csp-shop.de/cgi-bin/cshop...=0&sort=0&all=
Old 22-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #18
69vanagonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitty64 View Post
Take a look at my thread listed below, Full 2276 in a splitty
WOW...LOOKS LIKE it came that way! Where is the oil cooler? Is it the stock oil cooler remounted in the DTM fan shroud or are you using an external oil cooler? Where'd you get the L-plumbing to route the oil feeds from?

I was going with the horizontal Porsche cooling package from laperformance (450 for his kit + 300 for a used Porsche fan combo = 850 squid), to fit my 66 splitty, but looking at this, this may be a cheaper alternative and looks stock to boot!

Jinx, thanks for the thread and how you went down the homebuilt route as it explains a lot of the issues behind fitting these engines upright. I'm not as skilled and am looking for more of a 'bolt-it-in-and forget' approach.

Last edited by 69vanagonman; 22-08-2009 at 10:51 AM..
Old 23-08-2009, 10:25 AM   #19
69vanagonman

Found this excellent writeup
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/cooling/index2.shtml
Old 09-10-2009, 08:03 PM   #20
aircoolsteve
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (9)

not seen one for a bit but don't forget the eurorace shroud. that also uses its own alternator stand and a standard bug alternator.

the only other issue not mentioned on this thread is that the gearbox imput shaft on a bug box is shorter than that of the type4 bus box. this means that the end of the shaft is not supported.
you can overcome this by having the centre of the T4 flywheel opened up to take the standard needle race bearing that the type 4 uses in the end of the crank. its not a good idea to run an engine without doing this or you run the risk of clutch/imput shaft failure.
hope your conversion turns out well.