Type 4 conversion - Page 3 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales
 
Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

     
 

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > CLUB FORUMS > Alternate Engine

Alternate Engine Got a Scooby motor in the back of your dub? Or a V8? Alfa? You know a Porsche motor drops straight in - right? This is the forum for you. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #21
mark sirett
Wannabe Chat Slut
 
mark sirett's Avatar

Trading feedback: (3)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: torquay
Posts: 958
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitty64 View Post
Take a look at my thread listed below, Full 2276 in a splitty
my engine bay looks like that but dirty
I am really pleased with DTM but on the way back fromEBI were were cruising at speed and I did wonder whether beyond 85 mph the air was going past the vents quicker than the fan could pull it in. What do you think?
mark sirett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:07 PM   #22
paul_f
Seasoned Chat Slut
 
paul_f's Avatar

Trading feedback: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Gillingham, Kent
Posts: 2,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircoolsteve View Post
the only other issue not mentioned on this thread is that the gearbox imput shaft on a bug box is shorter than that of the type4 bus box. this means that the end of the shaft is not supported.
you can overcome this by having the centre of the T4 flywheel opened up to take the standard needle race bearing that the type 4 uses in the end of the crank. its not a good idea to run an engine without doing this or you run the risk of clutch/imput shaft failure.
hope your conversion turns out well.
Hey Steve, your definately right there - don't use the conversion bushes either - they are too thin and i wore one out in 2k mile holiday around Europe - the input shaft seal of my old gearbox was pissing out everywhere
paul_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #23
69vanagonman

Trading feedback: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_f View Post
Hey Steve, your definately right there - don't use the conversion bushes either - they are too thin and i wore one out in 2k mile holiday around Europe - the input shaft seal of my old gearbox was pissing out everywhere
Interesting. I'm using this one: http://www.airtechvw.com/store/index...d&productId=19
69vanagonman is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 14-10-2009, 04:52 PM   #24
liam 914
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 106
Default

If anyone is interested in a spanking 2l type 4 engine from a 914, see my post https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthr...=594546&page=2
liam 914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #25
Jinx
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: oswestry shropestershire!
Posts: 10,183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam 914 View Post
If anyone is interested in a spanking 2l type 4 engine from a 914, see my post https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthr...=594546&page=2
so wheres the details?
__________________
----------------------------------------
07951 007 431
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 10:01 AM   #26
paul_f
Seasoned Chat Slut
 
paul_f's Avatar

Trading feedback: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Gillingham, Kent
Posts: 2,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69vanagonman View Post
That is the proper bearing, but a standard flywheel (210 or 215) needs machining to fit one of these.

The other type is a bronze bushing that pushes into the flywheel, but they do not last
paul_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #27
splitty64
Seasoned Chat Slut
 
splitty64's Avatar

Trading feedback: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Aylesbury
Posts: 1,984
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sirett View Post
my engine bay looks like that but dirty
I am really pleased with DTM but on the way back fromEBI were were cruising at speed and I did wonder whether beyond 85 mph the air was going past the vents quicker than the fan could pull it in. What do you think?
I think the issue is the CFM the fan requires for cooling, along with the cfm the carbs are sucking, may well get close to exceeding the cfm that can be drawn through the vents. Saying that, I have had no problems yet. Next step will be to create some out of sight ducting from underneath into the engine bay for some extra air. Must do this before Mr turbo comes knocking on my door
__________________
GOAP racing
Push it to the limit!

Check my split! :incheek:

Last edited by splitty64; 17-11-2009 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: misssspeltworbles
splitty64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #28
Jinx
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: oswestry shropestershire!
Posts: 10,183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitty64 View Post
I think the issue is the CFM the fan requires for cooling, along with the cfm the carbs are sucking, may well get close to exceeding the cfm that can be drawn through the vents. Saying that, I have had no problems yet. Next step will be to create some out of sight ducting from underneath into the engine bay for some extra air. Must do this before Mr turbo comes knocking on my door
i think thes is not the problem - i asked a f1 engineer to look in to it, when i told him the sizes of the vents on a late splitty he quickly replied that it wouldnt cause a problem
there may be issues with, as the air rushes past the vents at speed, the air inside the engine bay is drawn out of, in the same way as a traditional spray gun works?
id like to try this theory by fitting a smoke 'bomb' inside the engine bay and driving at speed, then have someone film the smoke escaping from the engine bay
the theory says thet the smoke should come out of the side vents

but my van is along way from being on the road!
__________________
----------------------------------------
07951 007 431
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #29
splitty64
Seasoned Chat Slut
 
splitty64's Avatar

Trading feedback: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Aylesbury
Posts: 1,984
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
i think thes is not the problem - i asked a f1 engineer to look in to it, when i told him the sizes of the vents on a late splitty he quickly replied that it wouldnt cause a problem
there may be issues with, as the air rushes past the vents at speed, the air inside the engine bay is drawn out of, in the same way as a traditional spray gun works?
id like to try this theory by fitting a smoke 'bomb' inside the engine bay and driving at speed, then have someone film the smoke escaping from the engine bay
the theory says thet the smoke should come out of the side vents

but my van is along way from being on the road!
Cool, I have seen similar on another forum, so am thinking long term about ensuring this doesnt happen. But !!! not sure my ears would hold out for long term high speed cruising!! may strip the van and dynomat it, see if that makes a significant difference.
__________________
GOAP racing
Push it to the limit!

Check my split! :incheek:
splitty64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 07:12 PM   #30
Jinx
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: oswestry shropestershire!
Posts: 10,183
Default

ive see a mate's mod to his bay
he has fitted come flexi pipe from the side of the gearbox to the engien bay, thru the gearbox tin, opposite to the doghouse exit, at speed it appears to blow air to the fan and aid cooling

im thinking i may utilise the existing heating pipeing and put a scoop at the front of the van, thru the centre pipe and up to the engine bay
im not running heat exchangers
and im using a propex!
__________________
----------------------------------------
07951 007 431
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Disclaimer: For recreational purposes only, some assembly required. Any resemblance to real persons,
living or dead is purely intentional and the site admins are not responsible for direct, indirect,
incidental or consequential ridicule resulting from any defect or failure to perform. No animals
were harmed in the creation of this forum. Colours may fade over time. No other warranty expressed or implied.

volkszone.com

SupportingSupporting Brad's Cancer Foundation

 










 
© Volkszone • Terms and Conditions of use



volkszone.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on volkszone.com is generated by its users. volkszone.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.