Volkszone Forum banner

Derry Girls, C4

3K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  mbeamish 
#1 ·
There's a new show starting on C4 in January called Derry Girls. It's set in Derry at the tail end of "The Troubles" in the '90s. In order to get people up to speed, the makers have released a glossary of local words and phrases...!

'Derry Girls' glossary - learn the local lingo, you eejit!
Bars: Gossip / scandal
Boke: Vomit
Broke: Embarrassed
Broke to the bone: Hugely embarrassed
Buncrana: A popular holiday destination
Buzzing: Very happy
Catch yourself on: “Don’t be so ridiculous”
Chicken ball special: A local delicacy
Class: Brilliant
Craic: Fun, but also news e.g. “Tell us your craic?”
Cracker: Beyond brilliant
Critter: Someone who evokes sympathy e.g. “You poor Critter”
Dose: An unbearable human being
Eejit: Idiot
Hi: A sound placed at the end of almost any sentence for no particularly reason e.g. “No problem hi”
Gone: Please
Head melter: Someone who causes you mental distress
Lurred: Absolutely delighted
Mind: “Do you remember?”
Mouth: Someone prone to exaggeration
Mucker: Friend
No Bother: “That’s no trouble whatsoever”
Raging: Annoyed/angry
Ripping: Extremely annoyed / angry
Saunter: “Be on your way”
Slabber: A show off
So it is/so I am: A phrase used for emphasis e.g. “I’m delighted, so I am”
Start: To provoke e.g. “Don’t start me”
Stall the ball: “Stop what you’re doing immediately”
Tayto cheese and onion sandwich: A local delicacy
Wain: A child or young person
Watch yourself: Take care
Wile: Very or Terrible
Wise up: “Don’t be so stupid and/or immature”
Yes: Hello

:lol:

See less See more
#3 ·
Despite a few dodgy accents that only people from Derry would really notice...that was 'motherfucking' funny :D

#6 ·
The blond one was overacting a bit and her accent was far from perfect (she's from Galway) but the other lead girl (Michelle) was class (and she's actually from Derry). Some great lines.

"I'm not being individual on me own!"

:lol:

#8 ·
The second episode was laugh out loud funny too :D It's been commissioned for a second series :cool:

#9 ·
Sláinte muthafuckaaassss! :lol:

I'm still having a wee laugh about some of the stuff from last night. Local comedian, Kevin McAleer, was very good as boring Uncle Colm in the spirit of Fr. Stone from Father Ted :D

#10 ·
Local comedian, Kevin McAleer, was very good as boring Uncle Colm in the spirit of Fr. Stone from Father Ted :D
His radiator story was very well told :lol:

I watched both episodes this morning and enjoyed them. plenty of comedy quips are thrown in

"Did you kill that wee nun girls?"
".....of course not"
"then why were you pissing on her body and making sandwiches?":lol:

#12 ·
Quite a poignant end to the last episode of the series last night. That's what it was like growing up through 'the troubles'...real life goes on as normal whilst abnormal shite was going on all around you.

#13 ·
The second series of this started last week. I settled down on the sofa to watch the second episode last night and about ten minutes in...power cut! :( Fuck you Storm Gareth! *shakesfistatsky*
We were still in the dark this morning. Corn Flakes by torchlight :mental:

#15 ·
Thankfully it was repeated the next night at a later time :) Third episode is on tonight.

#16 ·
Watched every episode so far, but i really could do with subtitles :)

#17 ·
:lol: They do speak rather fast but as it's local to me, I understand every word :)

I have no idea what road they were on last night but it certainly wasn't the road from Derry to Belfast! :lol:

#18 ·
The last episode on Tuesday was excellent! The Irish wake and wedding scenes were perfect! :lol:

#21 ·
It was the last episode last night. Very enjoyable and a three series has been confirmed. I vividly remember the scenes from the episode last night in real life with Bill Clinton speaking outside the Guildhall in Derry...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.