1972 1300 Beetle Resto - Page 5 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #41
Firebuoy
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

So just a little update...

I have split the crankcase to find that the wear for the engine was minimal meaning I could insert new bearings without having to line bore/grind the crankcase. Was relieved to find I had a good bottom-end. I have since got my short block back together and was about to start measuring the clearance on the pistons to cylinder heads and found out the nuts and washers for the new cylinder head studs were 8mm rather than 10mm. Pretty strange considering it came as a sealed kit. Anyway the supplier is on the case and with any luck the replacement nuts and washers should arrive before the weekend. This meaning my intention for this weekend is to get my longblock together. If not, I'll clean up the tinware and paint. Only items to get for the engine will be the twin carbs, electric fuel pump and electronic ignition.

On the side, I've been trying to find a paint shop to finish the paint job. Which has been proving difficult. However, in a stroke of luck, my dad was selling his car. The couple who have bought it, the guy used to own a paint shop in Yorkshire and has offered to help me finish the job on site! Happy days!

Hopefully this summer will see some serious progress and have made the decision to focus all spare time and on the bug. I'm excited/desperate to get it back on the road.
Firebuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #42
Firebuoy
Chat Slapper

I've been hunting around ebay, these forums and the net generally for some twin carbs. I was fortunate enough to be contacted by a forum member who had some to sell along with a few outher bits and pieces. I arranged to go pick up a set of twin carbs, linkage, manifolds and potentially a few other bits. Today has made me feel like it's Christmas! I came away with more than I had expected. I am very grateful to say the least. I just hope one day karma will help someone in the same way.

I came away with a pair of italian 36mm weber IDF carbs, complete with gene berg linkage, manifolds, trumpets and air filters. In addition, a lightened flywheel, a set of davida carb gauges, alternator with stand, heat exchangers, fuel pump, malpassi king filter and a few other bits and pieces.

Time to update with some photos.

Here is my long block with the new barrels, pistons and cylinder heads, now making it a 1585cc. I've already installed the new alternator stand and pulley (not fully yet), as you can see.

The italian 36mm IDF carbs

Manifolds

Gene berg linkage

Davida gauges

Last edited by Firebuoy; 22-05-2014 at 10:25 PM..
Old 20-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #43
Firebuoy
Chat Slapper

Alternator

200mm Lightened flywheel

Going to clean these up along with the engine tinware. Then hopefully, in a week or so, attempt to start the engine. Will need to order a clutch kit and hoping to pick up a gearbox bellhousing so I can start the engine outside the car. Also need to purchase a electronic ignition, thinking accuspark/powerspark.

Think that'll do for now.

Last edited by Firebuoy; 22-05-2014 at 10:27 PM..

Old 20-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #44
Firebuoy
Chat Slapper

Now using facebook for photos...

Last edited by Firebuoy; 22-05-2014 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: Sorted photos now.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:26 AM   #45
Firebuoy
Chat Slapper

At the weekend I managed to clean up the tinware and give it a lick of paint. Will update with photos. Hoping to order some jets and a carb service kit tomorrow.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #46
Firebuoy
Chat Slapper

So since my last post, I have been busy with work. However in the last couple of weeks, Rich has come out and we've made good headway with getting the car ready for painting. The decision has been made to use the paint already on the car as a primer. The main reason for this is due to the fact the previous paint work was crap and there was a lack of prep work before the paint went on, leading to pin holes and orange peel. The wings were taken right back to bare metal and primed, along with the new decklid. As for the body, the lacquer was flatted back to remove any orange peel and will be using stopper for the pin holes.

Yesterday I emptied, clean and lined my garage with plastic sheeting and wired some strip lights in preparation for painting. There is a going to be a slight colour change from before, but hopefully will return the same effect for less ! Have chosen the base coat to be VW Viper Green, then going to tint the lacquer with black, which should provide the candy effect. Below are a few of the photos I've taken of the progress made. We should be spraying some test cards on Friday evening and will provide an update then.

Last edited by Firebuoy; 10-09-2014 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: photo links
Reply Post New Thread