1975 Late Looker - Page 2 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 20-10-2016, 11:05 AM   #11
Damageplan
Wannabe Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_kaholik View Post
I'll have a look, not entirely sure what I've got up there, but there are at least 3 dash pads and associated switchgear I'm in to downsizing seriously this time!
Sounds like its quite the hoard! well whatever you find up there, let us know as I'm sure it will be of interest either way!

Build thread here! https://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/show....php?t=1333434
Damageplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 09:37 PM   #12
al_kaholik
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (23)

Unfortunately no 1200 versions up there If you are short of switchgear or the like, feel free to contact me - I've likely got a few.

Wasserboxer conversion

'77 Jap import FI and Aircon
al_kaholik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 10:53 PM   #13
Damageplan
Wannabe Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Unfortunately no 1200 versions up there If you are short of switchgear or the like, feel free to contact me - I've likely got a few.
Ah balls No worries dude, thanks for checking! It might be that I have to go the 1300 route if I really struggle to find a 1200 version but I'd like to keep it as original as I can if possible. I may well be in touch in the future though if I need any parts!

Old 24-10-2016, 09:47 AM   #14
al_kaholik

Well if you do switch over, I've got a few 1300 ones and vents that you could dummy on Else filling and re-covering a 1300 style dash would work

Wasserboxer conversion

Old 26-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #15
Damageplan
Wannabe Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

So I got something exciting in the post yesterday...

IMG_9664 by Tom Meazey, on Flickr

An absolutely mint, uncut 1200 padded dash for the bug! Bought it off of bensdad (Carl) on here. Proper chuffed with it as I didn't expect to find one in this condition so quickly! It's got a tiny heat crack at the bottom right hand corner of the glove box area but barely noticeable and a bit of overspray on one side.

Annoyingly, I think it's been bent in transit (bloody UPS!) and a crease has developed in the centre of the dash not the end of the world but still a tad annoying! Anyone got any bright ideas of how this could be fixed? I figured it might pull out a bit once fitted to the car... or is there a way to caress it out from the rear of the dash?? It's solid foam but wondered if the was a way to push it out with something that would leave a small pinhole...

IMG_9666 by Tom Meazey, on Flickr

Also, what would be the safest way to get rid of this overspray without damaging the vinyl?

IMG_9665 by Tom Meazey, on Flickr

Last edited by Damageplan; 11-12-2019 at 10:11 AM..
Old 27-11-2016, 09:17 PM   #16
al_kaholik

Get some quality leather and vinyl cleaner on it, that should sort out the overspray. Else one of those magic eraser blocks I've found to be good to clean them. Follow it up with a nice protector (Poorboy's natural look dressing gets my vote)

Wasserboxer conversion

Old 27-11-2016, 10:58 PM   #17
Damageplan
Wannabe Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Get some quality leather and vinyl cleaner on it, that should sort out the overspray. Else one of those magic eraser blocks I've found to be good to clean them. Follow it up with a nice protector (Poorboy's natural look dressing gets my vote)
Thanks for the advice! Sounds like it shouldn't be too hard to remove.

Last edited by Damageplan; 28-11-2016 at 02:21 PM..
Old 02-01-2017, 01:24 PM   #18
Damageplan
Wannabe Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Happy New Year all!

Acquired a couple more bits for the bug over the Christmas period. Got me a nice genuine late bonnet. It's got some surface rust but most importantly it's solid, straight and rot free. This will be blasted and taken back to metal before being resprayed so not too worried about the rust. I will also be welding up the fresh air vent as my bug didn't come with this originally.

IMG_0214_1 by Tom Meazey, on Flickr

I also got some nice genuine Hella bumper mounted indicators too.

IMG_0230 by Tom Meazey, on Flickr

It's slowly coming together with just a few more panels to find (wings, twin-vent 1500 style deck lid, four wings, front and rear valances), plus a set of 914 dial for the dash. Work on it is looking to commence around April/May time this year!

Last edited by Damageplan; 11-12-2019 at 10:11 AM..
Old 03-01-2017, 02:12 PM   #19
Damageplan
Wannabe Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Had a poke around the bug with Dave today (chap who will be doing the work) to gauge, as much as we could with the shell on the chassis, what is needed to be done.

It's safe to say most of the chassis will need replacing and will either go one of two ways. Option A - finding a chassis that someone has built up and restored but no longer wants to continue with the project or Option B - buying two decent pan halves and using the backbone of a chassis and a new framehead etc. that Dave has in his workshop.

As for the shell, it looks like it's in pretty good shape. Apart from a few micro blisters that have popped up here and there, the only bit of rot we found was at the front of the near-side heater channel (near the front quarter) but it doesn't seem to extend much further than that. Of course we will know the full extent when the shell is removed from the chassis but, for the most part, all seems to be ok.

After looking at other late lookers, I can't decide whether to ditch all the exterior bright work and fill in the holes for a more cleaner look, leaving the chrome door handles, quarter light frames and bumpers to be the only major chrome/polished parts on the car... I'm trying to go for a Porsche inspired Cal Look bug and love how clean these earlier Porsches look...

Old 08-01-2017, 10:09 PM   #20
Damageplan
Wannabe Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Had a play around on BugSelecta/Photoshop tonight with levels of chrome/trim as I still can't decide what to do and I have no new updates

I'm thinking no trim looks pretty cool though??

No trim:

herman 1 by Tom Meazey, on Flickr

Trim with yellow headlamp rims:

herman 2 by Tom Meazey, on Flickr

Last edited by Damageplan; 11-12-2019 at 10:12 AM..
Reply Post New Thread