1972 1300 Beetle Resto - Page 2 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 15-04-2010, 11:02 PM   #11
Firebuoy
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F17BUG View Post
Best way to get photos up is through photobucket mate sorts all the links for you
cheers dude
Firebuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 12:23 AM   #12
Firebuoy
Chat Slapper

So I have been away for a week for a little holiday. However this has not slowed progress! On Saturday morning, I split the body from the chassis in preparation for the welding and respray. Over the next few weeks I'm going to focus my attention on cleaning up the chassis and doing bits and pieces to the engine.

Don't worry the body is no longer on the floor or outside! It's safely in a barn and on a couple of make shift work horses.

When removing the body, I was slightly worried that there might be a loads of rust, I have heard the stories! This time it was my lucky day, fortunately the bulk of the chassis is in good condition. I am going to replacement the two rear quarters and battery tray, get the wire brushes out (angle grinder ) to clean up rust in preparation for hammerite. The rubber boots on the axle are just starting to crack and perish so will change those too. Will also give the braking master cylinder a clean up.

Would it be worth putting waxoyl on all the exposed areas?

My plans for the engine are to replace the exchangers as these are knackered, along with the cables, doesn't look like they've been working for a long time... Also I plan to upgrade the coil, ignition leads and possibly upgrade to electronic ignition (funds depending). While the body is off am going to take the opportunity to change the spark plugs. I am hoping to change the oil bath filter to an air filter; could anyone tell how this is done please? What happens to all the pips that are currently connected to the oil bath filter? (see photo below)

Alot of the fuel lines are old and frayed so going to exchange those and upgrade the pinch clips to jubilee clips (screw ones). Making it easier for future upgrades/repairs. Now time to start buying and hopefully shortening the shopping list...
Old 29-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #13
F17BUG
Wannabe Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (8)

I'd stick with your oil bath mate, so much better for your engine, it'll keep it running right and give you better economy. Nothing but truble those nasty aftermarket filters. I've sanded and sprayed mine up in satin black and it looks great, trying to get some OG stickers for it.

If you've got the body off It'll be worth replacing all your cables, heater, acceletator, clutch hand brake etc so much easier than doing it if one snaps or stretches when your body is back on. i did the brake lines on mine too with new copper pipes

I wish I'd had my chassis blasted but a clean up with a wire brush and repainting with something tough like epoxy mastic 121 and chassis black or hammerite will have it looking good and keep any rust at bay. I used some POR-15 at first and it was a bugger to prep and it was rubbish in the end. and Waxoyl aswell would be even better

Keep it up dude it's going the right way!

Last edited by F17BUG; 29-04-2010 at 11:05 AM..
F17BUG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #14
Firebuoy
Chat Slapper

Thanks, will change the cables, am having to replace the cables to the heat exchangers as they were knackered anyway. Where can you get copper brake lines?

Also is there much difference between epoxy mastic 121 and hammerite? I was going to go with hammerite smooth. And waxoyl all the exposed areas to prevent damage from stones and other flying objects...

Will keep the oil bath, will just give it a clean and make it look good. Also Would it be a bad thing to paint the tinware with hammerite? I am looking to upgrade the tinware in the future, probably next summer, but need something temporary on the current tinware.

Will hopefully get a fair bit done this weekend!

Thanks dude!
Old 29-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #15
banburybeetle
Chat Slapper

Looking great mate, keep the good work up. You’re at the same point as me really cleaning everything to see the horrors of what lies beneath
banburybeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #16
Firebuoy
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by banburybeetle View Post
Looking great mate, keep the good work up. You’re at the same point as me really cleaning everything to see the horrors of what lies beneath
Thanks dude! Read your thread through last night, think your going slightly further than me but it's looking awesome so far. I'm working on mine pretty much everyday for at least a couple of hours, hoping to get a fair whack done this weekend... Good luck with your project
Old 30-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #17
F17BUG
Wannabe Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebuoy View Post
Thanks, will change the cables, am having to replace the cables to the heat exchangers as they were knackered anyway. Where can you get copper brake lines?

Also is there much difference between epoxy mastic 121 and hammerite? I was going to go with hammerite smooth. And waxoyl all the exposed areas to prevent damage from stones and other flying objects...

Will keep the oil bath, will just give it a clean and make it look good. Also Would it be a bad thing to paint the tinware with hammerite? I am looking to upgrade the tinware in the future, probably next summer, but need something temporary on the current tinware.

Will hopefully get a fair bit done this weekend!

Thanks dude!
The epoxy mastic is really hard and is a bugger to chip when dry whereas hammerite tends to chip off with stone damage i find easily as does POR 15. It's expensive stuff but it coats really well and It should stand the test of time. Practical classics mag have been using it on their jensen chassis. You could top coat it as I will do with chassis black just so it looks shiny

I did my tinware in halfords rattle cans of grey If you have a look on my thread which I've been told work well, I did the insides of the tin and the exhaust with screwfix hi temp black which was like £5 a tin and I still had loads left and only bought 2 tins Might be worth a go.

You can do a really good job on the cheap If you take abit of time on it. Stainless screws and washers jazz it up nice too and dont rust!

I think I'm going to have mine blasted and powdercoated when it starts to look tatty again as it's worked wonders on my wheels!

You could make your own copper brake lines up but for the time it takes I'd go with the kit from machine 7 that's what I did
F17BUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #18
Firebuoy
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebuoy View Post
Thanks

At the moment am in need of a car, so the short-term plan is to get it back on the road by the end of July hopefully. So for now I will get the bodywork rust free and structurally sound, then respray. I am thinking of keeping it original more than anything else. Although I am having to do it as a bit of an on-going project as money is still tight

Also what is the best way to put photos up?
Change of plan.... am leaning towards more of a cal look... more details to come.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:25 PM   #19
banburybeetle
Chat Slapper

Any updates mate?
banburybeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #20
Firebuoy
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by banburybeetle View Post
Any updates mate?
Yes there is... a lot! As a short update, I'm just in the process of preparing for the respray. Am taking the body over to a chap on thursday, so it's all systems go. Also have been building an extension on the house with my old man, so have had very little spare time to spend on the internet. This is all in addition to farming! As you can imagine... chaos may just cover it!

I will try to provide a full update this weekend with pictures to show the progress.
Reply Post New Thread