1972 1300 Beetle Resto - Page 3 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 10:47 PM   #21
Firebuoy
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackster187 View Post
very nice
Cheers dude

Right here we go... This is going to be fairly short and sweet as I could go into huge detail but not worth it when you've probably read it enough already, if you would like to know anything then just ask.

A lot has changed...

From where I was I managed to strip the body back even more. Then the welding took place, the panels that have been replaced are as follows:

- Heater channels X 2
- Cross members X 2
- Front apron
- Front bumper mounts X 2
- Front inner wing X 2
- Rear quarter small repair X 2
- Rear body mounts X 2
- Rear bumper mounts X 2
- Rear apron

As you can see from these photos, this has removed all the serious rust, the only rust left after all the welding was surface.
Firebuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:19 PM   #22
Firebuoy
Chat Slapper

After this the next stage was to start getting the body ready for the respray. The guy who helped me out on welding lent me his sandblaster for which I hired a decent compressor for 40 +VAT for a week and also some grit, about 100kg in total although I reused what I could. This was time consuming due to using a tesco value kitchen sieve! But it worked well...

So in the yard I set up a sandblasting area using some silage sheet to catch what grit I could

I was amazed by how easy it was to actually sandblast, not difficult. For those who would like to know I was using a compressor with 15 CFM and a 20 gallon sandblaster, as I mentioned before the time consuming bit was filler the sandblaster, even with brand new grit! I have to say I was worried about sandbalsting as I had heard about people blowing holes through the metal and distorting panels due to getting too hot, but I had no trouble.

This are some of the results...

Before anybody comments... the sandblasting was patchy as that is what I have arranged with the guy who is painting the body for me. I have just sandblasted where any rust was coming through and bits not easily accessible.

Which leads me onto the colour... I was original inspired by my ipod nano which is metallic blue. I had almost set my heart on this colour as blue is my favourite colour, however as I was making this decision two covers of volksworld had blue beetles back to back, then driving around noticed how many metallic blue cars there are on the road. So I started to look at other colours as I wanted something a little different from the usual colours like silver, black, blue, white, etc. Am sure you see what I'm saying. Anyway my sister bought an ipod nano at the same time as me and she got the metallic green...

So when driving around noticed that there were not many beautiful metallic greens on the road so have tracked down a more custom colour, which is a candy ink green and should look something like this...

And today I took the body over to the guy who is spraying it for me, he does it professionally, this is not something I want to mess around doing myself as there are three layers... primer, groundcoat of silver and then a transparent green on top.

Is is what the body looked like when I dropped it off. Sorry for the poor quality of the photos, were taken on my phone as I forgot my camera.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #23
Firebuoy
Chat Slapper

Oh and the guy in the photo above is not me... that's my old man

So this weekend I will be working on the chassis/floorpan, another coat of hammerite and then start putting things back on like the new brake lines, etc.

For those who are interested this is what I have been doing at the same time as the beetle...

My dad and I built this, starting at the beginning of March, it's not fully finished but is weatherproof.

Hope you have enjoyed the update.... so much for short and sweet hey!

Will be more to come soon.... once I get the body back in its new colour!!!

Last edited by Firebuoy; 08-07-2010 at 11:25 PM..

Old 09-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #24
F17BUG
Wannabe Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (8)

Very good and rapid progress too
F17BUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #25
banburybeetle
Chat Slapper

Very nice update, you make alot of progress and the shell wasnt to bad. The farm building outhouse looks good. keep up the good work .
banburybeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #26
Firebuoy
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by F17BUG View Post
Very good and rapid progress too

Quote:
Originally Posted by banburybeetle View Post
Very nice update, you make alot of progress and the shell wasnt to bad. The farm building outhouse looks good. keep up the good work .

Cheers guys! Am hoping to have it on the road in the first half of august... will be tight but with some hard work anything is possible. It won't be complete, however at least I'll have a car to drive!
Old 11-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #27
andy198712
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (4)

alot of glass in that extension!! very nice!

whats the re spray cost if you dont mind me asking?
andy198712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #28
Firebuoy
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy198712 View Post
alot of glass in that extension!! very nice!

whats the re spray cost if you dont mind me asking?
That was less than mother originally wanted... but yea it's a lot!

As to the respray... I don't know exactly until it's done but was quoted around 500. Will find out for sure this week.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #29
banburybeetle
Chat Slapper

Thats a really good price, i thought re-sprayed are around the 2k mark
banburybeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #30
Firebuoy
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by banburybeetle View Post
Thats a really good price, i thought re-sprayed are around the 2k mark
That is only for the body though... doors, bonnet, engine lid and wings will be done separately due to limited space in his booth. At least I can start putting him back together this week!
Reply Post New Thread