Finally the resto begins '68 1500 bug all original - Page 3 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #21
BassettBugger
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

Both cross members are fried so more cutting to do

Luckily I won a job lot of panels on ebay including nearly all the rear end parts I need (plus saving around £150!)
BassettBugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #22
BassettBugger
Wannabe Chat Slut

So next job is to cut out the old and get in the new.

I have decided to wait to fully split the body due to the sheer volume of rot. I am going to remove the cross members and fit the new ones, I have also got to cut out most of both rear arches. That means I am going to be struggling to get loads of individual panels lined up.

I am going to tack the boot floor to the newly fitted crossmembers and to the back of the car then replace the arches.

More updates and pics of this coming soon, what could possibly go wrong!!

oh and if anyone thinks i should do any of this in a different order let me know!
Old 08-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #23
BassettBugger
Wannabe Chat Slut

Been taking measurements before I get cracking, unbolted all the floor bolts and gave it a trial lift, turns out the crossmembers dont lift when the body does as they are so rotted no longer joined to anything.

I have decided to replace the rear arches first now to give me some solid to weld to, they are one of the few things I can actually take measurements and references from. When there in I will sort the cross members and hopefully stand a better chance of being able line thing up. Will see how happy I am by the time bedtime comes!!

1500 68 full resto

Old 08-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #24
BrownBUG
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (3)

Hey Gussetburger, that's one hell of a job ya got there, mind you it all looks worse when it's all shitty n rusty. Your piecemeal approach is defo the way to go on this one - keeping your datum points is crucial cos that shell will be wobbly as fook with so much missing!

Subscribed n sitting back to watch progress.

http://www.royalcountyautosupply.co.uk

TWON's fund raising for Brad's - https://www.justgiving.com/MrVZi-2013

Royal County Auto Supply promise to donate at least £2 (or 5% of any profit) for every purchase during 2016 from VZi members.
BrownBUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #25
BassettBugger
Wannabe Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBUG View Post
Hey Gussetburger, that's one hell of a job ya got there, mind you it all looks worse when it's all shitty n rusty. Your piecemeal approach is defo the way to go on this one - keeping your datum points is crucial cos that shell will be wobbly as fook with so much missing!

Subscribed n sitting back to watch progress.

1500 68 full resto
Old 08-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #26
BassettBugger
Wannabe Chat Slut

Okay I took load of random measurements, drilled out the spotwelds and got out the grinder!

body dropped pretty badly but I was expecting it which is why I used the garage floor as a datum

I got a pair of 3/4 wheel arch repair panels last year in a job lot with the boot floor and my roof rack, £20 quid the pair and seem a really good fit, dont know who made em though.

Trial fitted the arch using the wing bolts to pull into rough position to mark up first cut, suprisingly really good fit!!

Next up need to fit the body mount panel/suspension panel

1500 68 full resto
Old 08-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #27
BassettBugger
Wannabe Chat Slut

should mention I made my cut just off where the arch actually begins below the wing bolt mounts, figured would be a good strong place and easy to disguise the weld (be covered by the wing beading!)

Out of my next job lot of ebay bits I had a rear body mount/suspension repair panel, as my new rear arches fitted so well I decided to drill of the spot welds from the repair panel to mount it onto the new arch.

Cheap black crappy GSF panel is a very poor fit indeed!!

started bending and banging it to shape and then realised at 10:30pm not a good idea to be twatting steel with a 7LB gentle persuader!!

More tomorrow night then!!

1500 68 full resto
Old 08-03-2012, 11:45 PM   #28
CH215
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

what you plans with the roof bud?
CH215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #29
BassettBugger
Wannabe Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH215 View Post
what you plans with the roof bud?
2 options, first will be to square out the holes and butt weld a repair in, then panel beat it back into shape using the good side for template

2nd option is if the metal is to stretch to beat back will cut out larger section then panel beat before trimming to fit. Either way it's a job of patience for perfection!!

Did consider a rag top conversion but some of the dents fall outside the area it would cover

Would chop it off and go to a vert but I haven't seen a single kit a like since the wizard Targa's

1500 68 full resto
Old 09-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #30
BrownBUG
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (3)

A simple, but stylish vinyl roof would cover it

http://www.royalcountyautosupply.co.uk

TWON's fund raising for Brad's - https://www.justgiving.com/MrVZi-2013

Royal County Auto Supply promise to donate at least £2 (or 5% of any profit) for every purchase during 2016 from VZi members.
BrownBUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread