My 65' Bug - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 28-12-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
Rycooled
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Default My 65' Bug

Car is now Mid resto, skip to page 6 for the start of that

Picked it up from Derby a few months back Drove it back at 55 the whole way... took 8/9 hours! only broke down a dew times

Its running a slamwerks 6" narrowed front beam and notched springplates sitting 1 spline down at the rear... the front is so low that when I change lanes of the motorway I hit the cats eyes! has a 1641 which compared to the 1300 in my old bug feels pretty quick!

Last edited by Rycooled; 16-01-2014 at 10:55 PM..
Rycooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
Rycooled
Chat Slapper

Anyway... since I have had it I have already done a fair bit to it, After having it for a week drove it up to brands hatch and the clutch started slipping pretty bad, so first job to do was new clutch which meant engine had to come out...

Once I had the clutch out I found the flywheel seals had gone, covering the clutch in oil, thus causing it to slip. I also had some problems with the throttle only opening a 1/3 of what it should so got that sorted to Whilst out I decided it just wasn't shiny enough so I ordered some shiny bits 8-)

Also put a stainless firewall cover in :mrgreen:
Old 28-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
Rycooled
Chat Slapper

Engine back in...

Once the engine was back in there was a horrible crunching noise coming from the engine/starter motor, took the starter off and found the remains of a washer that had been churned up by the flywheel :evil: so the engine had to come back out so I could clean all the metal shavings off the brand new clutch roblem: but got it out, cleaned up and back in again in 2 hours, which I think is pretty good time! And ready for brighton breeze the next day 8-)

Brighton Breeze:

Made it there and back without a problem, and won a little drag race on the way home to

Old 28-12-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
Rycooled
Chat Slapper

Since that, got my radio wired in (Finally!) and wired up some lighting 8-)

Old 28-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #5
Rycooled
Chat Slapper

-

Last edited by Rycooled; 03-12-2014 at 12:23 AM..
Old 28-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #6
Rycooled
Chat Slapper

Plans for the future are:
taller ratio gearbox
set of race axles
Trannie Raise... fed up of scraping my stinger everywhere!

Old 28-12-2012, 02:35 AM   #7
84gravytrain
Chat Slapper

Java green....nice!ive got a 64 java green deluxe ) standard 1200 though...sits lowered on stock steelies with beauty rings! liking your thread!
84gravytrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
andycoco
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (9)

i miss my java green 65 bug but love yours fella and good work!!

http://vwcoco.webs.com/-Check my website out and join up with plenty of bugs 4sale:D
Mrs set up facebook page -ANDREW COLE
andycoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
wastedspark
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rycooled View Post
Plans for the future are:
taller ratio gearbox
set of race axles
Trannie Raise... fed up of scraping my stinger everywhere!
How about taller tyres? Better final drive ratio and the stinger would be further from the ground.

In all seriousness, I would leave the axles as they are, they're much easier to change than gearbox internals and even the clutch, at least until you have a bigger engine.

Overall nice beetle.
Old 28-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
Pothole
Seasoned Chat Slut

Ryan nice looking bug, keep seeing it on the drive when passing with work but never in a position to stop but you may get a knock soon lol also it confused me seeing ur 65 on one drive and your other one on your neighbours (well that's what it looked like). Mines on the road at the moment but needs the the engine tuning a bit and front torsion bars or bearings are not sounding to good, don't think hitting a pothole on Christmas Eve helped lol. Hoping to replace at some point with 4 inch narrowed slamwerks. Bens been saying about us all meeting up and capturing a few pics
Pothole is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread