Computing, differently.. ChromeOS - Page 2 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Multimedia Forum

Multimedia Forum Computer, IT, Browser, Online, TV, Radio, Film, Smartphone & Technology Questions & Discussion. Any questions or discussion relating to computers, browsers, technology, software, smartphones, smart home appliances, smart TV, Radio, Films, Netflix/video set up, Publications/Magazines, Photobucket, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Ebay, Paypal and even TV shows and games, XBox etc - please ask in here. Eventually we should build a helpful database of answers to many regular IT and broadcast questions.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 09:41 AM   #11
clarkson
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dorson View Post
Mine's got my Onedrive mapped but it's a bit more flaky and clunky than using the Google Drive as you'd expect, however that's probably because mine uses Multi Factor Auth as well.

You need to download the app to connect One Drive but once it's done it just appears as another drive once you're signed in, and to be honest it's a single click install, so no hardship.

Spec wise, you need less than you'd think, I went for a dual core Intel Celeron one with 4GB of RAM and 64GB eMMC storage, expandable with an SD Card if I need more local, but I've also taken advantage of the years free additional space in Google Drive that I get with the device , 100GB instead of 15GB, and I've got a network server at home with nextcloud that I set up, and that's got 12TB of usable storage

I suspect you'd do well with half the eMMC storage but I'd aim for 4GB of ram, and something intel CPU based as they're more energy efficient than the other stuff out there in my experience, and battery life and portability is the key really.

Oh, and try and get a newer one, as they have the Google Play store meaning you can run Android Applications native on the OS, makes them a lot more useful in my mind.
TBH mine has only got a 16GB eMMC and I have never used it, aside from a custom wallpaper there is nothing on it. The chrome cache is mapped directly to Google Drive and any user files go direct to OneDrive, which in turn is synced to my Linux Desktop which in turn is synced with a 2TB HDD on my router. It's crude, but it works.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:12 AM   #12
Dave Dorson
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkson View Post
TBH mine has only got a 16GB eMMC and I have never used it, aside from a custom wallpaper there is nothing on it. The chrome cache is mapped directly to Google Drive and any user files go direct to OneDrive, which in turn is synced to my Linux Desktop which in turn is synced with a 2TB HDD on my router. It's crude, but it works.
You do what works don't you

For most people, they don't have a server, or stuff at home they need to connect to, and having a serverless environment for a lot of folks, provided they have the connectivity, a Chromebook is a great tool though.

I'll be honest, years of working in IT has sort of made me incredibly skeptical about cloud computing and subscription to what you need, but the industry is slowly (and I'm glad of this) moving to a user centric, identity based setup, and while I like to keep my own stuff on my own tin, I could go server-less tomorrow if I wanted to, as could most people.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:53 PM   #13
48pop
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

I was also a cloud skeptic but after using it for a while (in a work environment) I bit the bullet and signed up for a paid Dropbox 1tb (that they just doubled yesterday....)

Content anywhere on any device, excellent
48pop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20-08-2019, 07:52 AM   #14
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Well after pondering this for a while and getting my brother who is a lot more into these things than me I've gone for one of these:

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refu...ion.asp#/specs

A refurb model at less than 150, from what my bro says it seems like a good deal and doesn't seem expensive, comes tomorrow, will keep you updated