"Raw" finish wheels - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Wheels & Tyres Forum

Wheels & Tyres Forum Please discuss wheels or tyres (for all vehicles) in here.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 18-09-2019, 02:00 PM   #1
Dave Dorson
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (4)

Default "Raw" finish wheels

Alright VZi Hivemind.

So I've got a set of Empi 8 spoke snides that I've had sat down the unit for about as long as I can remember; they didn't make it into my jumble pile, perhaps they should have really as there was a lad down there who had a few beetle bits off me .

I'm considering using them for a 72 1200 I'm building at the moment, with some 145/80 R15 and 165/80 R15 Firestone F560's I've got my hands on, for that very traditional "Cal Look". The car is already dechromed, it's got one piece windows, it's a bit nose down and the rear end us going stock height, and we've chosen to do it in Porsche Guards Red (after much arguing with the wife, who was convinced it HAD to be some modern metallic colour )

Anyway, I was thinking about the finish. All the proper Spyder Mags from back in the day seemed to be either a gold finish, or a raw mag finish, and these being a cheap set are a "lovely" powder coated glossy silver.

I'm thinking that because these aren't mouldy mag wheels, that if I get them dipped and stripped and polish the rim up, I'd get something like a mag finish if I lightly blasted the alloy spokes and left them like that, rather than polishing them

Couple of worries though, how to I protect the "raw" alloy finish from the elements.

Any thoughts?
Old 20-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #2
M.I.B
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (2)

Eastwoods gloss metal laquer followed by Halfords "Matt Finish" laquer.

Comes out with a very slight satin finish.

Did this to some Pedrinis and they looked great and yet "raw"

Indian Scout 101ci

Originally Posted by mr slug:

"Best bike on the thread IMO, outright winner"

The Runaway Boy
M.I.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 02:22 PM   #3
Dave Dorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.I.B View Post
Eastwoods gloss metal laquer followed by Halfords "Matt Finish" laquer.

Comes out with a very slight satin finish.

Did this to some Pedrinis and they looked great and yet "raw"
Ta

I'll give that a shot.

Old 20-09-2019, 10:25 PM   #4
andrewb
Chat Virgin

Trading feedback: (0)

If your going to blast them get them dipped first. If you blast that powder off I don't think you'll get the finish you are after. There are some anti corrosion coatings now used on diamond cut wheels, and a final coating of a good Matt clear powder will mean easy maintenance. If you're anywhere near Harlow Essex, happy to lend a hand with them as have all the gear to do the above.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 09:31 AM   #5
Dave Dorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
If your going to blast them get them dipped first. If you blast that powder off I don't think you'll get the finish you are after. There are some anti corrosion coatings now used on diamond cut wheels, and a final coating of a good Matt clear powder will mean easy maintenance. If you're anywhere near Harlow Essex, happy to lend a hand with them as have all the gear to do the above.

Thanks.

I'm quite fortunate, my unit is right next to a place that refurbishes and manufactures wire wheels.

As such they do blasting and dipping. I've got a set of Porsche Cookie Cutters in there right now being dipped so I can re-finish them.