Lego as an investment? - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > VZi Small Business Forum

VZi Small Business Forum Volkszone has many entrepreneurs, self-employed and those who run their own companies. Please use this forum to ask (and answer) any small business related questions - employment law, tax laws, insurance, marketing, council rates, etc. Please DO NOT use it to tout for business or to plug your own company (please use the Yellow Pages forum for this) - any blatant 'plug' posts will be deleted and the posters may be reprimanded further. This is the ONLY warning you will receive - the idea is to help each others' businesses, not to take advantage - so please play nice.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 24-12-2016, 12:12 AM   #1
ikebe super
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Lego as an investment?

I was quite surprised by this>

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/con...s-stockmarket/

Apart from the VW Beetle Lego set which now goes for silly money if not opened it seems like some other sets are worth money.

But only if Lego stop making them of course.

any thoughts about potential money makers (include the lego site link if you can)?

What about this slightly ropey looking Porker? https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Porsche-911-GT3-RS-42056

I'm thinking the sub-100 products have a better chance of a healthier increase.
ikebe super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 10:31 PM   #2
rad123
Seasoned Chat Slut

Lego is only worth what someone wants to pay for it like any investment. I have Lego based on what interests me.

The Lego Town Hall is a modular no,longer made, it is now worth (according to eBay) double what I paid for it. The Lego Tumbler hasn't got there even though that too is no longer available.

I'd hold out on the the Porsche, I picked one on Wednesday via John Lewis for 100 less than Lego Store. At that price I don't care what happens to it!

I'd say look out for deals and buy what interests you.
rad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 09:59 PM   #3
ikebe super
Wannabe Chat Slut

Interesting thoughts, thank you mate.

I see the Porker is currently 174 in JL, so if you got it for 150 you did very well.

Judging when items are on the way out is the tough part, its a bit like stocks and shares!

Old 26-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #4
rad123
Seasoned Chat Slut

Sets only last X time, some longer than others. I'm fortunate I can afford some of the kits. If I ask for them as presents though, I make them.

At the moment, Lego seems better than the bank. Keep an eye out for Argos 3 for 2 offers too.
rad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 06:14 PM   #5
ikebe super
Wannabe Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad123 View Post
At the moment, Lego seems better than the bank. Keep an eye out for Argos 3 for 2 offers too.
I like your thinking with the 3 for 2, nice one!

I feel a comparison spreadsheet coming on containing Star Wars, technic, and town.

Bigger seems better from my limited perusings so far
Old 31-12-2016, 06:57 PM   #6
winchman
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (1)

I still have mine from when I was small and the kids played with it too but we kept it all. Some is worth stupid money, the Mono rail we have is 200+, but it was rare when new.
I thought of buying this years Christmas train when in Germany as it was about 60 so a bit cheaper than here I think, but it might go up it might not so I didn't bother.
I must admit I bought a lego train box for the box not the contents as some people will pay a fortune for boxes, I was once at a car boot and bought a train box with about 30% of the bits in it, a couple of the plastic bags were still sealed, it went for about 80 on Ebay and the bloke asked me not to open the bags as he wanted them sealed for his collection and the box for another train he had?
Its all very fickle and might be worth a punt, if it looses money just play with it.
winchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 05:57 PM   #7
trenchfoot
Seasoned Chat Slut

You have to keep the box, the original Lego Millennium Falcon 10179 fetches silly money. I have just spent 4 years collecting all the parts for it and am about 1/3 of the way through the build, when it's done i will sell it on for over 1000 even with no box

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/32244...7297426&crdt=0

trenchfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 08:23 PM   #8
ikebe super
Wannabe Chat Slut

^ Just been looking at that link and each time it gets relisted due to not selling the price is going up $2k! Craziness
Old 18-05-2017, 11:14 PM   #9
moogster
Chat Slapper

Ive still got my lego trainset which santa bought me in 1978 box is a bit tatty. its the battery operated one with the black steam engine two carriges and car on flat bed. No idea what its worth.
moogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 11:35 PM   #10
moogster
Chat Slapper

Just had a look at the box its set 182 and the instructions dated 1975 so i must have been before 1978 when i got it. Remember best holiday ive ever had was my parents taking me to Denmark to legoland in 76.
moogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread