65 Deluxe Autobahn Exiles Jon Hancock - Cannot Recommend. - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Volkszone Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers 'Feedback' Forum

Buyers/Sellers 'Feedback' Forum Express your knowledge of particular buyers, sellers, and traders and search for the experiences of others. Please only relate 'first hand' knowledge - no "a friend of mine said his mate bought something off this bloke" type stuff - and remember if you 'recommend' someone and the deal goes 'pete tong' - the buyer/seller might be asking YOU why you recommended them.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Closed Thread Post New Thread

Old 28-09-2017, 08:06 PM   #1
dub and dubber
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Default 65 Deluxe Autobahn Exiles Jon Hancock - Cannot Recommend.

Edit:
Closing this thread.
The person in question,
Jon Hancock, is named in more detail in the last post on the last page.
Thanks for reading and good luck with your projects!

Hi all,
Just checking in to see if there's any interest in a thread looking at the work of a particular welder who's sales patter and personality certainly fooled me!
There would be video, loads of photos, transcripts of emails and WhatsApp messages, an assessment-of-work-done letter and links to Facebook, YouTube and Dropbox.
All names and obvious identifiers will have been removed.
There's a lot of material so it could take a few days to put it all together, which means I won't comment much on here until I know there's an interest, and I've put the whole thing together.
Thanks for reading!

Last edited by dub and dubber; 20-01-2018 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: Closing thread
Old 28-09-2017, 08:56 PM   #2
Pondlife
Chat Slapper

From your post It can only be assume that you have had some work done that you aren't happy about and or think you have been overcharged for... ??

Have you been in contact with the person that carried the work out and discussed your concerns with them?
Old 28-09-2017, 09:17 PM   #3
stirlingmoz
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (4)

Not much point without names - unless there are lessons we can all learn from.

Stirlingmoz

Old 28-09-2017, 09:32 PM   #4
clarkson
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (1)

You are free to post what you like.
Old 28-09-2017, 11:58 PM   #5
dub and dubber
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondlife View Post
From your post It can only be assume that you have had some work done that you aren't happy about and or think you have been overcharged for... ??

Have you been in contact with the person that carried the work out and discussed your concerns with them?
I made a poor choice of bus, knowing it was complete but rotten and paid not very much accordingly.
I then found its twin, an empty shell with all the rust sorted out, which looked like being a good bet for transfering all the good stuff over.
This guy quite rightly pointed out that the shell was not as up together as I thought it was and would need work, so better to restore the rotten one which he waxed enthusiastic over.
All opinions I've had so far are that, as a "professional" he should have known that the rotten one was unviable except for silly money, and he should have advised me to break it and start again.
That is point number one.
It turns out that the work he did on it made it even less viable (and dangerous though giving it the semblance of soundness when underneath welds were absent) ... demonstrated by the fact that only the areas he hadn't worked on were any use for selling as cuts etc.
Where he did work was slap dash to say the least, with panels simply not even located correctly.

So yes, the thread title is a rhetorical question, which could be of interest to people, but I'm checking the level and type of interest before launching in with all the sordid details.

As for communication, I appear to be dealing with a very slippery person who, at best, could be said to have fallen for his own propaganda and can't appreciate the magnitude of his errors, and at worst is yet again working to his familiar "business model" which involves spending other people's money on projects that are not likely to be finished because the sums involved turn out to be rediculously high.
Old 29-09-2017, 12:03 AM   #6
dub and dubber
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stirlingmoz View Post
Not much point without names - unless there are lessons we can all learn from.

Stirlingmoz
There are certainly lessons to be learned.
If opinion continues to be unanimous then there is a case for warning people off giving this guy anything other than the basic stuff to do.
Some say he shouldn't even do that.
I guess I didn't want to just launch into a naming and shaming until I could be 100% certain I wasn't wrecking a legitimate business.
Old 29-09-2017, 12:11 AM   #7
fly-by-split
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (14)

enough with the cryptic clues already if youve got the evidence to back it up get naming some names,not for want of shit stirring.........but it may stop someone else from getting taken for a large sum of money.
now vans are big bucks any amount of cowboys have jumped on the bandwagon.it happens all too often,a mate of mine has had a couple in over the recent months that had supposidly been 'restored' , he's ended up rectifying various bits on them.....propper sacks of shit.just makes you feel sorry for the people who have handed over money for it.
Old 29-09-2017, 09:30 AM   #8
Fimble
Chat Virgin

Dooooo iiiiit!

I'd love to see what NOT to do in a restoration. If it's as bad as you say, you could probably have a case to take him to small claims.
Old 29-09-2017, 09:55 AM   #9
oilyT
Seasoned Chat Slut

Post some photos up. if its as bad as you say then people need warning .
Old 29-09-2017, 10:37 AM   #10
callaghan
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

What or who recommended him to you?
Closed Thread Post New Thread