My first resto - 71 beetle - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts. Forum sponsored by VW Heritage

VW Heritage
Closed Thread Post New Thread

Old 20-08-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
magicfiver
PLEASE UPDATE YOUR EMAIL!

Trading feedback: (0)

Default My first resto - 71 beetle

Hi all, My name is Cy, im 27 and am about to start my first restoration.
Well, technically, it's not my "first" resto, as ive restored a few scooters before and stuff.

This week i bought a 1971 1200 Beetle.
I usually ride motorbikes and scooters, but i suffer from ms, which is making bike riding somewhat problematic at the moment.

So the motorbike went and the car is here.
I want to try and do a rolling resto as much as i can, as it will still be my primary transport.

I like the idea of making a long thread here to follow its progress. Ive seen other people's threads and have been very impressed by the stories that unfold as they go along.

I think i know what i want to end up with - A "vision" if you like. i will play with bugselecta and see what i can do for an image...

Ok, here it is...

Im creating a gallery online so its easier for me to post some pics into the threads here and also incase anyone wants to have a look at the full extent of the pics i take.

More pics and updates as soon as i have them sorted out

Cy
Old 20-08-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
Gal
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (1)

Cant see the pic
Old 20-08-2006, 03:56 PM   #3
Jonofdoom

Woo another orange '71 1200!!! Welcome to the club

There's gotta be like 3 or four of them in readers rides now? Ok, 1541's isn't a 1200 but what the hell. And Mines not orange anymore, but that's beside the point. Feel free to join the club anyways.

Looks nice BTW... Hope you enjoy it

Old 20-08-2006, 06:55 PM   #4
magicfiver
PLEASE UPDATE YOUR EMAIL!

highly unlikey that mine will be orange at the end of it either...hehe

Ok, so now motogp has finished, and the rain has stopped for a few hours...I could crack into the car a little more.

So, a bit of a disclaimer: my knowledge of VW's is limited, and my terminology of things is bad too...but learning is what this is all about right?
Please excuse any stupid and naive questions from me, as im sure i will be asking them.
Im ambitious and not afraid to try anything myself.
As jonofdoom says - "its just a rusty car", and i want to make mine not as rusty as it is

I have little knowledge of the heater channels or where they run or how they exactly worked until today.
Well, to be more precise, i now know where mine should be.
I knew i was going to have to replace panels and stuff but due to the way the heaters were so bloody hot, i didnt expect the channels to be as shot as they are.

I took all the carpets up and took the seats out. the floor pans seem pretty decent, but the heat channels/sills/door posts will need some work.

Everything was coated in a sticky tarry type sealant, and some had a silvery look, when i pushed it, it was kinda rubbery, which i thought was a special sealant of some sort

...until i realised it was actually caulk/silicon.

I started to scrub all the tar off of that and managed to find that it was actually holding everything together.

Yes, that IS silicone globs inside there!
I kept pulling tons out etc etc...and ended up with all this fun stuff:

Which is ok, as i can now see where im at and i can distinguish the heater channels from the inner sill (?) which is strong for the most part.

I can also see where the water is coming in from the underneath as well as from the door post.

I will be honest, i'm nervy about cutting anything (first resto and all) and i know that as soon as i do the first bit, the rest will be easier.

Im thinking that this would be a good place to start the fixing

To replace this, and i know it's a case of chopping it back, just how far should i go back?

I need to replace the bottom of the door post too, but which bit do i replace first?
The heater channel or the door post bottom?
Is there an order to doing this?

Underneath the whole side of the channel is all gone too, and will need replacing.
Is there any kind of online tutorial for replacing all of this kinda thang?

ok, i will update more when i do some more.
Hopefully i havent asked too many questions (sorry if i have)

The thought of work is really not pleasing me tomorrow but i guess i have to earn some money to pay for all of this.
Old 20-08-2006, 07:29 PM   #5
Jonofdoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicfiver
To replace this, and i know it's a case of chopping it back, just how far should i go back?

I need to replace the bottom of the door post too, but which bit do i replace first?
The heater channel or the door post bottom?
Is there an order to doing this?

Underneath the whole side of the channel is all gone too, and will need replacing.
Is there any kind of online tutorial for replacing all of this kinda thang?

I'd probably sort the channel first, although if it's rusted all along the bottom it might be easier to replace it with a whole fresh one, bottom bit and all.. Heater channels are not somtihng I've replaced tho, so can't realy give you any tips. If you do replace it it'll be good to leave most of the door pillar in place, so as to have a guide when positioning the new one. Then with the channel replaced, you can slot a new pillar bottom in (go to hookyspanelshop.com, his panels kick ass).

You'll need to cut back to full strength decent thickness clean metal with any welding repair, but as mentioned above it might be a lot easier to take the full length of the channel out and replace.

Anyways, heres a good link for channels etc...

http://www.superbeetles.com/welcome.htm

Click on tech, then tech talk with rick, and you'll find all manner of good stuff.. I used their tutorial to get the body off my bug, it helped no end.

EDIT: looking at your pics again, I'd say replace, defo, especialy if the botom is rotted out too. All IMHO naturaly

DOUBLE EDIT: I may have been too hasty with the above edit.. If that's actualy all the rust there is, you could repair it fairly easily, and replace the bottom plate.. That said, you realy need to find out exactly how much rust there is on it. Go out and get brutal with a screwdriver
Old 20-08-2006, 10:22 PM   #6
1584cc
Wannabe Chat Slut

Another orange car! Good luck with your project.

Looks like the door pillar bottom has had some 'attention' before, as one of the door hinge screws is covered/plated over.

As Jon said get the screwdriver out!
Old 21-08-2006, 07:50 AM   #7
Steve Pegg
Seasoned Chat Slut

Good luck with the project dude!
Old 21-08-2006, 11:42 AM   #8
benjyhas
I'm not an addict... honest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonofdoom