Volkszone Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

About time i showed you my '70 1300.

615K views 3K replies 162 participants last post by  Brian Burrows 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought it was about time i showed off my rusty '70 1300.
It spent the best part of 3 years sitting on my parents drive until a mate offered to bring it across so it could sit on my drive for a few years.;)

Its been patched up a few times some of them not very neatly so it's getting a makeover of the existing repairs and some new channels and door pillar bottoms plus all the other bits a bug normally rusts out in.

The first time it was driven in 3 or more years was off the trailer.
Unfortunately i had forgotten about the lack of gearlever, engine, brake fluid or well adjusted handbrake until the trailer was tipped up and it was accelerating down the flatbed. :eek:
Luckily the road is quite flat and it slowed to a stop after i'd passed a few houses.:D

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The engine bay side trays were well rotted and the passengers side one has just fallen off.:eek:
As i couldn't afford Hooky's excellent replacement panels i made some new ones made from scrap steel and cut the seal mounting channel off an old rear valance.

Welded into place and the bottom of the bukhead repaired too.

A bit of seam sealer and a coat of Rustnot black paint and the jobs done.:)

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
One rusty drivers side rear suspension/body mount. :(

Rusty panel cut out and a replacement panel welded in.

Passengers side has been replaced before and is still solid so will just get a clean up and some stonechip paint.

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
Cut a chunk of rusty rear valance out.
Welded a bit of old computer case in.
A nice non matching polo cherry red coat of paint applied to keep out the weather.

Not got a lot else done as i'm also repairing the rusty arches on my '73 westy at the same time.

#8 · (Edited)
Finally got some more on my bug done today after a huge lack of enthusiam prevented me from working on it for the last few weeks.
A little rotten around the wing bolt holes. :(

All the rot neatly cut out. :D

Just need to weld the new metal in.

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
A bit of grinding and a quick bit of fillering and paint to keep the weather out. Not pretty i agree but its gonna need to be done properly later anyway.

Fitted up a genuine if a little peppered wing and it all fits where it should. :)

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
Finally got around to doing some more work on my bug.
Replacement second hand bonnet, wirebrushed and with a coat of filler, then sanded down and primed.

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
After not being able to do anything on my bug for weeks due to the weather i finally decided to build a carport so i can work outside even if its raining. Its high enough to get my bay under too. :)

Next job, heater channels and door pillar bottoms. :(

Attachments

#18 · (Edited)
A couple of pics showing the rot i've gotta sort out.

Its already had the channels bodged before so i'm cleaning up other peoples dodgy repair work which is a bugger. :mad:

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
Needs a new door pillar bottom to go with the channel.

The inner front arch replacing again. I think it was chewed off when it was replaced last time. :rolleyes:

Chassis needs napoleon hat section and front of floorpan repairing too.:(

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
I have the horrible feeling that if i remove the two tacked on plates off the inner arch i'll find a huge rusty hole underneath.
It seems to have had a rear suspension panel welded in and i'd put money on it that the rot wasn't cut out beforehand. :(

Looks OK and solid from under the wing though.

Attachments

#23 ·
Thought about it but too pricey for me at the moment.
Gonna have to do with Klokkenholm panels and homemade pieces.

looks good made keep it up dated
Gotta get my bay welded for its MOT before i get on with the bug.
Not much to do (a few little patches) so it shouldn't take too long. Fingers crossed.:p

#24 ·
I've had a poke around the tacked on bits on the arch and it seems pretty solid there.
It looks like the rot spread too far up the arch for the suspension mount repair panel to cover so they welded a plate on.:rolleyes:
Still gonna cut the patches off and have a proper go at making it look a bit nicer.

It looks a bit like a patchwork quilt under the arch but i think a bit of grinding and some stonechip should have that looking OK.;)

#26 ·
Been watching your thread with interest. Nice work you've done there. :)

The sunroof is only a tilt model that I won in a competition in vw motoring in '98 and its been great for the summer. Glass lifts out completely too.
Only probs is 10 years later it doesn't close tightly at the rear and water gets in when it rains.
Can't figure out how to sort it either. :(

Was thinking of removing it completely and welding the hole up as i was planning on doing some historic rallying with it and it won't pass scrutineering because of the glass sunroof. :(
Too much work to do a good job on such a visible area so i might just buy a cheap hillman imp and use that instead. ;)

#27 ·
Maybe the seals have sagged over time zeb. im sure a little buff up with very very light sand paper, then add/rub black shoe polish, then clean off might make then seal proper. Other than that if there is a way to adjust the gap, try that. or replace the seal totally.

thanks for the compliment on cabbage. Waiting for the weather to turn out warm , before i get out and spray the rest of the car. Till then im building another engine for cabbage. also been pondering on hydrogen injection for the new motor.. experimental..

good luck tho.. keep up the good work

#28 ·
I think the problem is the sunroof has been shut for so long its compressed the seal.
There doesn't appear to be any way to adjust the latch so i'm gonna remove the catch from its mount completley and see if i can shim it somehow.

You've got a long time to wait if you're waiting for the warm weather. Its usually the mid week of july isn't it? :D

What size engine are you building for cabbage?
I've got the stock 1300sp for mine in bits at the mo. Gonna fit a minnow fish carb, 1.25:1 rockers and a set of taper tips for a bit of retro power. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.