8 Meg Broadband...... - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Chat/Discussion

Chat/Discussion Kind of like a VW club online - you can sit in our virtual pub and talk about whatever you want to. All opinions are valid, but please no insulting (other than to our intelligence,) abusive or libellous posts. Please feel free to post your opinion on any given subject, but also be aware that others have the equal right to disagree with you - and some will certainly tell you so. No 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your business, links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (please use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled "What's my car worth?" threads too (please use the 'Dude! What's My Car Worth?' forum) - and please don't use just to post links to other VW forums or websites - we are aware that other sites exist (obviously), but blatant 'plugs' (poaching) will simply be deleted.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 27-03-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
passatman
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (1)

Default 8 Meg Broadband......

is this acceptable?

i'm only 100 yds from the exchange..........

www.speedtest.net
passatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
KyleNorth18

Trading feedback: (0)

We're on that and I just got over 6000
About 340 for upload though...

I tested with the same one, not the closer one (Sittingbourne) which came out as 4000
KyleNorth18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
Pillock
I really must get out more

Yeah, pretty much.... when you signed up they should have given you some kind of indication as to what the expected speed is, when I signed up for Orange on an 8Mb service they told me to expect 5.5Mb. ADSL is very dependant on distance from exchange, like you mention, but also the number of people in your area that use it, and the times that they use it. I've just moved and signed up for Sky broadband, and they'll only be as vague as "between 8Mb and 16Mb".

5Mb or so is acceptable, yeah. Sorry!! You might find it quicker mid-day, or middle of the night. Unless someone like me lives next door, maxing out the exchange 24/7
Pillock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 11:04 PM   #4
bfg69bug

Trading feedback: (4)

i'm on 3mb and got a 2.6meg speedtest, so thats pretty good, right ?

:bandit:
bfg69bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 11:10 PM   #5
type3

Trading feedback: (10)

Looks okay to me. You rarely get the advertised speed but what you have is still pretty fast.
type3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 09:42 AM   #6
SimonT
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (3)

Lucky you! We're on an '8 meg' service but struggle to get 2 meg.. but then we are out in the sticks and about 2km from the nearest exhange..
Old 28-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #7
funstuie
Seasoned Chat Slut

The state of the cables in your house also makes a big difference. Try connecting using the master socket. http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabli...r-results.html that will give you the info you need. It's Sky related but it's relevant for all ADSL.

For what it's worth, I am on 16mb broadband and I can get speeds of 14mb down.
funstuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
mr blue bug
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by passatman View Post
is this acceptable?

i'm only 100 yds from the exchange..........
I can check the cable run for you if you like (PM me your phone number) 100 yards from the exchange doesn't mean 100 yards of cable

My mother lives about 100 meters from the exchange but has over half a kilometre of cable between her and it!
Old 28-03-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
Surfbug
Wannabe Chat Slut

How accurate is this speed test?

I am on BT 8mb package. Download speed came out at 754 mb/s, and upload speed is 266 mb/s.

I done the test twice to make sure. Do you think I have grounds for complaint to BT?
Surfbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #10
AngelVenomous

It depends what the fault threshold is on your line. When you are on an upto 8meg service a fault threshold is set on the line and if the speed is below that then it will be investigated.

I would call tech help and get them to test it.
AngelVenomous is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread