Volkszone Forum banner

STi Beach Buggy build

85K views 334 replies 49 participants last post by  chontay 
#1 · (Edited)
Impreza Turbo Pwerered Beach Buggy build

Hey guys finally got around to buying a chassis so i can start my beach buggy project, this will be a slow project until i have saved enough then it'll be full steam ahead.

Anyway the chassis i decided to go for was a 1967 originally semi auto (really wanted a balljoint front end with IRS), however it has been converted to manual, the chassis is really solid to be honest apart from the floorpans so these will get replaced when i shorten the chassis.

I have some major plans for this buggy a few being 091 gearbox to be mated to an impreza STi engine, brand new sidewinder shell and full roll cage :) better to be safe than sorry eh!

This is how i picked the chassis up from Randy Jewell off here, picked it up from portsmouth and towed it back using an A frame.

This is about the worst of the damage.

On it's side in need of some TLC :D

Oops what have i done :lol:

Just need to get 2 of these and 2 new floorpans and i'm back in business :)

Keep your eyes open for further updates.
Cheers Ian.

See less See more
#7 ·
Sounds like a great project. I was going to do something similar, but decided to go for a more 'retro' buggy instead.
If you're interested, I have 4 impreza turbo alloys - 17x7 (I think. Deffo 17", but I'm not 100% on the width) with good toyo proxes tyres. Same PCD as later golfs (5x100) so not too much work to make them fit. Would look great on a hi-po street buggy... PM me if you want more info!
Cheers,
BBB.

#14 ·
So the buggy project never got off to a flying start so it was put into storage and in the mean time a space framed buggy project came up for sale on here at the right price.

The buggy was owned by Richie Brown and a lot of work had already been done.
This is a pic of how Richie had it set up

These are a few pics the day i picked it up from Richie up in scotland, trailered it back.

I love how Richie had the buggy but wanted it to be my own.
Over the last few months i've been collecting parts for it and doing various bits and pieces.
The biggest tasks have been converting from swing axle to IRS and installing a steel floor.

I decided not to go for an STi engine just yet but hopefully will upgrade in the future.
Here's a couple of pics of my Scooby engine (2.0 l Turbo) Approx 215 BHP as standard, mounted to my 091 gearbox.

Nd a couple of pics of the 091 box with the RJES bellhousing installed, it's not finished as i just wanted to get the box and engine together to get the fabricating out of the way.

Cheers Ian.

#26 ·
White is the new black until next year when black will be the new black. The year after black will be the new white and the following year white will be the new white. All hell breaks loose the year after when pink becomes the new black and white.

#34 ·
I would rather not space the wheel but the only other option would be to go for a 285 wide tyre, currently using a 255. If I go wider the tyres will touch the trailing arms.

coming along nicley.is it goin to be on the road for summer?

good luck

rich
Fingers crossed should be ready to race about this summer :)
cheers for the comments guys :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.