Volkszone Forum banner

'69 RHD Crewcab resto

40K views 155 replies 36 participants last post by  Paul Weeding 
#1 · (Edited)
Heres my '69 crewy, picked her up this weekend. been after one for ages and this ones just what ive been after!:D the perfect daily driver:D

Bought off Scott Wilson of vwclassics. needs a few bits and pieces to get here on the road but i want the bigger jobs done and out of the way. the front bumper comes off tommorow and the lower valance gets started(hopefully:lol:)

See less See more
#4 ·
cheers guys. along the lines of John Kings green doublecab. but SA sprints, Just T2D adjusters up front til i can afford spindles and creative adjustable springplates on the back. cant got uber low because im gona be using it to cart stuff around for work hence the adjustbale spring plates:D.

#5 ·
looks like a decent one to start with - I'll be keeping my eye on this for sure / maybe I'll steal some ideas for mine, mines also a RHD not many about.
need to finish my beetle first, then I can play with 'Tricky'

what you got planned then?

#6 ·
doesnt need all that much for the mot but ill be getting anything sorted that needs to be done while the bus is off the road, needs front valance, small repair on the sill under the crew door, cab floors, tinware rewelding in (south african diesel engine conversion got rid of these) windscreen repair while the screen is out as all the window rubbers are shot. then ill be removing the all the running gear and rolling it over to bare metal the floor and stonechip etc. then full mechanical overhaul:crazy: cant chuffin wait!! in with all that ive got to refurb the wheels and get a cover made for the back so the rain cant get in.

#8 ·
Got the bump[er off this morning and found this

Not to bad i thought, then looked closer on the underside and saw that there was filler all the way along. so ended up with this

then examing the whole panel a little closer:eek:

Looks like ill be looking for a new front clip, the man with the filler must have been a sculpter!:eek: only a couple of bits that gave it away.:lol:

#9 ·
Tarp for back - you goin just over gates or full size bows n all??

#14 ·
:lol: its not the thickest ive seen but considering it says 8th of an inch max on the cans normally, its held up pretty well:lol: looks like its had a spare wheel ccarrier on it at some point(need more space to store stuff??:confused:) and then been run into a wall lol. gona do a bit more now see if i can get the interior and dash out.

#15 ·
Nowt wrong with a bit of filler, as long as it's not used for chassis rails :lol:

One thing I've noticed and never noticed before is the 1/4 light in the rear cab door, are they all like that?

It would be cool to have 2 of them in one door as they look the same size.

Cool bus :D

#18 · (Edited)
ill swap you for your house??:lol::lol:

Got the dash out today and decided not to go any further with it until the repair panel from scott has arrived.

Had a proper look under the van today and am seriously chuffed with how solid the chassis is!! :D couple of litttle holes on the cargo floor area under the load bed but thats to be expected. had good look at the sills aswell. the filler man has played with the N/S sill too but Scott had mentioned this so it wasnt much of a shock. look good though dont they!

after a slight bit of proding with a hammer and chisel this was revealed.

the other N/S sill section in need of tlc

picking the repair panels up from Alan Scohfields on saturday.

starting on the drivers cab floor tommorow as i already have a repair panel for this. the fibre-glass man has also been playing here.

hopefully have some real work done tommorow rather than just recking it :lol:

#22 ·
Cheers dude. been following the progress of yours for a while now. youve fair put some work into it havent you!! looking good:D got the front panel off yesterday and its all looking quite good, ill put some pictures up later. picking all the panels from Alan schofields on tuesday and Scott has kindly agreed to drop the ront clip off there tommorow and the nice folks at schofields have agreed to hold it for me, meaning ive saved a possible £100 on shipping:eek: :D

#24 ·
Me too!!:lol:

ive only had about 3/4 of an hour on it since thursday :rolleyes: and ive managed to get the front panel off and make a start on the inner valance. sorry for the crap phone photos.

doesnt look bad at all under the clip. the airbox has been pushed in abit but nothing drastic.

Schofield inner valance looks realy good! bit of creasing on the back side which i might cut out and replace with smmoooth metal but apart from that it looks good. just hope it fits :lol:

Havent done one before so decided to take it slow. i made cuts up the outer-inner (??) panel about ever 6 inches and this allowed me to twist the spot welds off rather than spending hours drilling them or bending them off, i then found out that the vertical panel is part of the inner-inner valance :rolleyes: which ill remove anyway.

nearly just repaired the lower edge of the inner valance but when i took the outer skin off all this came out. its about 3" deep when scott told me to clen the sills out i didnt think it was this bad!! :lol:

so this is how she stands at the minute!

If all has gone well for Scott today ill be picking the panels up from schofields tommorow. So i can crack on weds morning getting the clip to fit.

Hopefully more updates tommorow. cant wait now!:D

#25 ·
feel like im making abit of progress now:D picked the clip up and my repair panels form schofields on tuesday and it looks goood!

Managed to get about an hour on the van over tha last couple of days and have finally got the inner valance off.

and the new one ready to go on

so all being well tommorow ill have it welded in place:D that means the saturday i can get the clip ready to fit:D

#26 · (Edited)
bit of an update. Got the the area around the valance cleaned up and clamped in place on friday.

then tacked it in so i can move it if needs be when the clip goes on.

chuffed with that. started on rempving the air intake vent on the front as it also had been bodged after the bump.

137 spot welds later!!:eek:

made worse by the fact that i now have to do the same thing with the replacement :lol: As you an see ive removed the inner winscreen panel as well after bracing the front pillars just to be on the safe side:lol:

started to strip and pop mark the replacement clip tonight aswell.

if i get the clip ready for welding by weekend ill be a happy boy!!:D

found this while cleaning the spot welds up, the original coul0our. think ill be respraying the bus this colour

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.