Engine Sodding carb !! progressive webber - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
SlamBam
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

Default Sodding carb !! progressive webber

Stressed out today had all this sorted the other day and on the way to Goodwood yesterday I lost throttle. The cable had come loose from the grub screw that goes through the throttle arm.

The end piece snapped off (top line) but we managed to secure it on and get there but since then the throttle arm on the carb is not fully returning, therefore idling far too high.

Idle screw adjusted and cable adjusted but can't seem to fix it.

The spring is on the the grooved line so is nice and taught but I when I manually push it back it still has a couple of mill and then it's idling nice and low. problem is it won't do this on it's own accord.

The arm has been welded/customised so I can't have a go at bending it as it will probably snap.

Suggestions????

Last edited by SlamBam; 05-07-2009 at 08:57 PM..
SlamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
beetlist
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

have had similar prob with my 32 /36 and having to push manually to get to idle properly. fitted bigger return spring - problem sorted. my carb is facing the other way though. I did have it the same way as yours but turned it 180 degrees and now have the return spring on tinware. took an hour but prob sorted. Hope this may help. good luck
beetlist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
Hedgedwellers
Wannabe Chat Slut

beetlist, do you have any pics of your setup. Interested in how you got it 180' around. We have the same setup as slambam atm on a beetle and it can be difficult to get at the adjusting screws etc!
Hedgedwellers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
SlamBam
Wannabe Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgedwellers View Post
beetlist, do you have any pics of your setup. Interested in how you got it 180' around. We have the same setup as slambam atm on a beetle and it can be difficult to get at the adjusting screws etc!
ditto, would like to see a pic of the set-up.

If I can't sort this within the next 10 days it will either be the train to Cornwall or a sodding hire car.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
nipper
Chat Virgin

same problem here...with boththe return spring and the adhusters screws

my mechanic rigged up another spring and attached to the engine bay ceiling that now pulls the spirng back all the way.

really would be interested in seeing a pic of the carb turned around to get at the adjsuter screws tho, as i find it virtually impossible to get at them to tune up
nipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
michael farmer
Seasoned Chat Slut

same here. how did u get the carb turned 180 degrees.
michael
michael farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #7
SlamBam
Wannabe Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipper View Post
same problem here...with boththe return spring and the adhusters screws

my mechanic rigged up another spring and attached to the engine bay ceiling that now pulls the spirng back all the way.

really would be interested in seeing a pic of the carb turned around to get at the adjsuter screws tho, as i find it virtually impossible to get at them to tune up

Hi,

any chance of seeing this too? I have tried attaching the spring to the filter, but to no avail. Not sure where else I can get a spring onto and whether it will make any difference.

I'm going to have a go at shortening the spring, proly tomorrow as I'm feeling very anti-dub at the moment and need to simmer a while before looking at the problem again!!
Old 05-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #8
nipper
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamBam View Post
Hi,

any chance of seeing this too? I have tried attaching the spring to the filter, but to no avail. Not sure where else I can get a spring onto and whether it will make any difference.

I'm going to have a go at shortening the spring, proly tomorrow as I'm feeling very anti-dub at the moment and need to simmer a while before looking at the problem again!!
slam

i will get a picture tomorrow and post it for ya

Nipper
nipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:52 PM   #9
SlamBam
Wannabe Chat Slut

If I chop off the bit of the plate that is on the right hand side of the pic (the plate with the hole for the spring to attach and the bit that is right of where it is attached to the carb), and then loosen this off, I should be able to move it around, tighten and therefore create a bigger distance, in the hope that this help the spring fully return that arm.

Is this a good idea?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:26 PM   #10
Hedgedwellers
Wannabe Chat Slut

Slam, did u get a pic in the end?

Also, what you have suggested would work, sounds similar to the kit you can get from dellorto, the 'banana linkage plate!' http://www.dellorto.co.uk/merchandis...sp?PartID=4318
Hedgedwellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread